Civil War to come?

Slow down guys.

The first link is by leftists who are so far gone they think Obama is a right winger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

The second link is from a committed left-winger writing revisionist history in 2004. Much of it is simply factually incorrect and easily dis-proven. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

The third link is quoting a candidate for the Democratic primary, speculating about the political effect of Hispanic immigration. He later retracted the statements under pressure from his (Democrat) opponent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

There were many reasons for the civil war, economic and philosophical as well as political, but slavery was NOT one of them.

The CSA was trying to gain recognition (and support) from Europeans (England and France), who wanted to help them but could not politically because of their "peculiar institution", slavery (slavery had been abolished in Europe for some time).

There were persistent rumors that J. Davis was going to try to pass legislation outlawing slavery over time (ala the way Brazil accomplished it). That would probably have provided enough political cover for the Europeans (the English especially) to openly support the CSA, which would almost certainly have meant the defeat of the North.

Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation knowing that the arrogance of the North making laws pertaining to the (as yet unbeaten) South would p.o. southerners to the point that J. Davis would have no chance of passing abolishment laws, even spread over decades and compensating slave owners.

By issuing the Proclamation, Lincoln basically pre-empted the Europeans from supporting the South (and saved the North's butts).

Note the wording of the Proclamation: "all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious states "are, and henceforward shall be free." It did NOT apply to the North (or to portions of the South under Northern control).

Slavery was in fact legal in the north (though most individual states had already abolished it) until Dec 6, 1865 when the constitutional amendment was passed, 7 months after the war ended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I don't see any possibility of a civil war happening.....but a revolution???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

a revolution? possible.. civil war?... possible.. I've read and read there is tons of news websites that show both working it's way to the surface. I really don't know what will and won't happen but I know which end of it i'll be on.

If anything does come of this situation, I hope that people will stay involved in our government. That is really the only way it will work. It's the only way it was meant to work. We have gotten complacent. Get your representatives numbers and get on a first name basis with them. Things will work themselves out.

Last edited:
Back