Camo Rifle Sponge Tutorial

rockinbbar

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...p;vc=1&nt=2

Here's the cleaned up version.

Quote:
Finally got my M4 shooting the way I wanted!

When I first mounted the scope on it, it would group 2- 2 1/2" at 100. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I then went to work!

First I added a freefloat tube & installed it myself.
That helped! went to about MOA with that addition! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Next, the trigger was hard, grinding & horrible....I added a single stage RRA National Match that was a takeoff from another member here.
It worked wonders! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I took it out to the range & was getting 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards on a warm barrel....(can't beat that for a pick-up/calling rifle...)

OK, now that I have the rifle shooting well, & am probabaly finished with taking it apart, beyond fieldstripping for cleaning I decided it needed PAINT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope this might help those that want to paint their AR, or stock on the bolt gun they deem needs it.
The terrain here is arid desert Southwest, so, I choose my colors with that in mind.
The paint I like is Rustoleum.
I use a glass cleaner to get all the oil off the surface to be painted. Make sure the surface is dry before starting.

I then tape off all the areas that I don't want paint on...scope numbers, buttpad, logos, etc. I used a flip-up set of caps set to the first ring on my Leupold to add contrast & protect the lens.
taped.jpg

Next, I give the rifle the base coat. I used a textured Rustoleum "Sandstone" paint because it matches the terrain here & is very, very dull....
base-1.jpg

After getting coverage I want, I start applying the camo colors one at a time. I usually add 3 colors of the terrain to the basecoat for desired effect. In this case I used a grey, brown, & light green....Applied in that order.
I spray the color into a paper plate, then use artist sponges with the texture I want to apply the dipped paint to the rifle....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
camo.jpg

brngry.jpg

continued...

Quote:
Next, I add the green for the last color. I use it sparingly, as a little green goes a long way!

After allowing dry time, I spray the rifle with a clear, dull protective coat of clear Rustoleum. This protects the camo & adds durability for years of service. If you scratch it, just dab some color on with a Q-tip.! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

short-1.jpg

And lastly, I pull off the taped areas that were covering my non-paint items.

As you can see, it is pretty effective camo for the area I hunt!
bush1.jpg

mesquite.jpg

You can adjust the colors to suit your hunting conditions, season & terrain.

This is how the rifle started life with me...

M4BA.jpg

After a little gunsmith & accurizing, this $570 bargain bin rifle has really impressed me with it's reliability & accuracy. I'd put it up against rifles costing more than twice what I have in it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I hope the tutorial in paint helps those of you wanting to know how.

Any opinions you guys want to share with me is appreciated as well. Tell me what you think, or offer suggestions.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks!

Barry

Last edited:
i think id be cool to see the outcome of some of the guns people have tried this on.

would it be ok if we posted our results in this thread?

COOL!
heres mine!
IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple I have done. All my rifles are done with Krylon Fusion, ultra flat camo colors, and a faux finish sponge. Enjoy the pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Apex

Olympic-HBAR-CarbineN.gif

Olympic-HBAR-CarbineH.gif

Olympic-HBAR-CarbineL.gif

Stevens-200-308D1.gif

Stevens-200-308E1.gif

Stevens-200-308G.gif

APP-Krylon-Fun-1.jpg

PIC_0112.jpg

Stevens-200-308F1-1.gif

I notice that Barry and Apex did the barrels. Did you guys do any special prep for the barrels? The barrel I'm looking at doing is blued, and I've heard of people hitting it with some 400 or 600 wet/dry, but the thought of that really makes me nervous.

I use a good glass cleaner to take off the oil from the bbl.

but in this case, the finish was matte on the barrel, so the paint sticks well.

A bright stainless barrel is a different story, and will require bead blasting or something to "rough-up" the finish some to stick well.

I rough everything with 400 wet dry, and clean with rubbing alcohol, I am not trying to remove finish, just rough the surface so the paint can stick to the surface well.
Apex

No kidding, Copper. A couple of years ago I simply wrapped some white electrical tape, in a none regular pattern, around a walnut stocked 223. I leaned the rifle against a tree for a minute or 3 and when I turned around it took me about 30 sec.s to find it. It was only about 5 steps away but the white pattern hid it against the white snow in the woods. Those jobs look splendid and I'm envious. Now you've tempted me. I think I'll try it with my 870 slug gun first to see how it turns out.

Just got done painted the new shotgun, I followed this tutorial pretty closely. althought I did bigger patches with the sponge here it is done.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

Lookin good Weston! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Being that you like shooing off those ladders, maybe you could have painted the underside "sky blue" for a better camo effect for those coyotes looking up at ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It does look great Weston!

Good Job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Now...Go shoot something! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You guys inspired me to show a weapon of mine. Thought I would add a little different one in winter camo. I'll show the first one with just the factory buttstock and caa pistolgrip painted flat white. Then two others to show the difference after sponge camo.
[image]
foxinfield.jpg
[/image]
Now this one is after I got the guts to sponge camo the whole gun.
[image]
eafsrunner-1.jpg
[/image]
That broke it up quite a bit better and allowed the gun to blend in with my camo and the terrain I hunt in the winter a lot better. Here's two more.
[image]
6dogday.jpg
[/image]
[image]
stormygun-1.jpg
[/image]
Anyway, just something a little different...please let me know what you guys think. I am open to new methods and ideas for the future.

Quote:
Someone please tell me what an artists sponge is and where to get them? Thanks

Go to the craft section of wal-mart and get a pack of natural sponges. They are cheaper in the craft section than the paint section.

t/c223encore.

Back