New guy? Rem. R-15 VTR SS Varminter

MisterE

New guy around these parts. Nice forum! I have to ask if anyone here has shot the new for '09 Remington R-15 VTR Stainless Varminter w/triangular barrel? I just bought one, and am having it shipped. What do you guys know about this rifle?

Last edited:
I think you are going to be the 1st here that has the new style & 24" bbl.
You will have to let us all know after you get it...:)
Where did you find it and how much?...or PM me on cost if you dont want to post it.
I have 2 R15s but both have the 18" bbls.
I like them both also.

Dont mind at all $1200.00 off of gunbroker. I wanted the 24" for the noise reduction. Those 18's can bark a little and I need to keep what little hearing I have left. I plan to shoot this one alot if the triangular barrel shoots well.? I read alot on the VTR bolt guns with mixed reviews on accuracy, but the extreams were 1/2"@ 100yds to 2-3"@ 100yds.[5 shot groups] So I figured the 2-3" guys didnt know how to shoot groups any way and the 1/2"-3/4" stuff sounds more like Remington to me. I will find out next week some time.

Welcome to P.M. MisterE. Better rub on some sand cause these folks can be brutal at times. Just joking, really a bunch of good folks here. Good luck with your new shootin iron and keep us posted.

Pyscodog

Thats a good price on that model as Ive seen em listed at $1300 on up.
When you get it all set up let us know how it shoots & groups for you.

I guess that the pioneers take the most arrows. Will do 5spd. P.S just found out it should be here the 18th. yeeaahh!

Last edited:
Quote:
I read alot on the VTR bolt guns with mixed reviews on accuracy, but the extreams were 1/2"@ 100yds to 2-3"@ 100yds.[5 shot groups] So I figured the 2-3" guys didnt know how to shoot groups any way and the 1/2"-3/4" stuff sounds more like Remington to me.

Sure wish you would show me how to shoot than, because I have one of the bolt 223's that won't do better than 2" thus far. Nevermind my Savage 22-250 was a consistant 1/2"-3/4" shooter, my Savage 243 was a consistant 3/4"-1" shooter, and my Encore pistol is a consistant 1" shooter.

5SPD what kind of accuracy are you getting with the 18" barrel? I finally broke the 1" 5 shot group last weekend with Benchmark powder, I tried everything with my fav. H335 but just wouldn't shoot under 1" the Savage Predator has me spoiled I guess. Great post BTW

Quote:
Quote:
I read alot on the VTR bolt guns with mixed reviews on accuracy, but the extreams were 1/2"@ 100yds to 2-3"@ 100yds.[5 shot groups] So I figured the 2-3" guys didnt know how to shoot groups any way and the 1/2"-3/4" stuff sounds more like Remington to me.

Sure wish you would show me how to shoot than, because I have one of the bolt 223's that won't do better than 2" thus far. Nevermind my Savage 22-250 was a consistant 1/2"-3/4" shooter, my Savage 243 was a consistant 3/4"-1" shooter, and my Encore pistol is a consistant 1" shooter.

I wont doubt you, but it does not seem like Remington to mass produce a bolt gun in the 2"-3" range. Did they mess up this time? Or do we just have to figure out how to tweek these triangle barrels?

I can't say they messed up this time. I have read alot of reviews bad about this gun and have also read some good reviews on it. Mine just hit 100 rounds today so I am not giving in yet but it hasn't been as easy to get to shoot good as some other guns. I only own two remmys, the VTR, and an old 600 222 that shoots great. I will get this one figured out

Quote:
5SPD what kind of accuracy are you getting with the 18" barrel? I finally broke the 1" 5 shot group last weekend with Benchmark powder, I tried everything with my fav. H335 but just wouldn't shoot under 1" the Savage Predator has me spoiled I guess. Great post BTW

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...ue#Post53069661

I posted up my 1st targets a week or so back right here, link above.
Im very happy so far. I just loaded up 50 test rounds tonite with H335/Varget/BLC2/W748/Ramshot and hope to get out this Sunday if the snow melts or wind stops...:)
I have new mounts and a different scope, but still not the "correct" height mounts, need extra high rings. Waiting for my Burris PEPR 1pc mounts to come in also.

I didn't even know you could order them yet. Any idea if you can order the 30 RAR yet??

You'll have to post some pics when you get it next week.

I bought one thursday night We sighted it in and shot it yesterday Mine was averaging about 5/8 of a inch at 100 yards with 55 gr serria bthp. I was very impressed. I also like the single stage trigger. Only got to run about 40 rounds thru it. I loaded 10 rounds of 5 different bullets last night plan to try to shoot them after work this afternoon. I wish the had camo the whole rifle but I guess they want it to look different. You got a good deal on yours I gave 1350 for mine. I had a r-15 with the 20" But a friend wanted it worse then I did. It would not shoot like this rifle. I think you will be happy with it Good luke

Should be in tomarro I'm jazzed! Not sure what to expect, but you know what it is like to wait for something. Much better to buy on site, and then sit around a couple days later and complain... I guess.

Just picked it up! Nice looking rig. Started cleaning the barrel prior to firing, and the first patch through [after 3 or 4 brush strokes] came out with what looked like wire strands from a 0000 stainless steel wool. They can say what they want but you must clean, and break in a new factory barrel. So off I go to clean some more!

Back