Hunting in the Rain

bwags

I am planning on going quail hunting on Sunday, but if it rains I won't be able to.

Have any of you guys called in coyotes during the rain? We are thinking about giving it a try if it is raining, but don't want to get wet for no reason either.

Thanks.

I've never tried it. I was always told they don't like to get wet anymore then we do. Don't know how true it is but it kinda makes sense?

i would just stay home...i have been been trying to do a spot and stalk on 3 yotes out by my house they are feeding a deer and they have been there every day. today it was raining and they were no where to be found

I have killed them in the rain it's a bit slower at times. One of the best days I have ever had was on a misty rainy day with flash thunder storms off and on.

I watched one mousing a field most of the day in light/medium rain. Every few minutes he shook himself dry.
I guess in this area they don't really have much choice on the matter, though. It can rain for a week straight.

Quote:
ya but ya can't kill them sitting on yer couch either

My thoughts exactly. They have to be somewhere. Might as well be by you.

One of my better days has also been in the rain. It was more like a drizzle on and off a coupe of years ago and if I remember right we saw something like 12 yotes. My truck is still a mess from that weekend. We had mud up to our waists from sitting on stands all day and my truck had mud all over the enterior.

yeah thats true you for sure cant kill em from your couch...but i said "i" would stay home as i have not had any luck in the rain...but hey after reading your guys post i might just have to start going out in the rain more

The only reason I went that day was because of a contest but if you do decide to go I would strongly suggest scope covers and a anti fogging cloth for your scope. Our biggest problem was being able to see through the scopes with the rain and all. Taking the gun from the trucks to the outside air was fogging up our scopes really bad and we could not see through them half the time.

I have a stand of mine that has ALWAYS produced. I am talking EVERY SINGLE TIME atleast one dog. The ONLY time I have called it and not had any takers was on a rainy nasty day....

Wow, If I didn't hunt in the rain, I would only be able to hunt in August.
The critters here have to eat rain or shine. Just remember the fog cloth for the scope/binos and some good quiet raingear.
John

I did 3 stands in scattered thunderstorms this morning. I howled one in to about 80 yards and DRT on the first stand got some pictures. No luck on the next 2 sets though.

I don't have a whole lot of experience but i have had the best luck when it was cloudy, foggy, and lightly snowing but i'm sure a light rain would be fine too. If it was a real heavy rain i would stay home but if its an off and on showers and sprinkles i say go for it. I think predators feel safer when its cloudy and its not as hot so they can move further before over heating during the day.

another thing is rain washes away scent so if its comeing down good you might be able to call them across where you have walked to set out your decoy etc.

I got out today and made four stands this afternoon. Weather seemed like it'd be good. Rained most of the night last night then lifted today and was pretty cloudy with some light drizzle. Went out near the same spot I was 3 days ago and didn't hear or see a single thing. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty overcast and cool again so I might give it another go.

Back