Reloading question

mick17

I am new to reloading my own .223 ammo. I am currently shooting a 55gr. v-max with 24.5 grains of AA2015 powder and an OAL of 2.400. That cocktail makes my Stevens 200 a pretty good tack driver. I want to switch to a 50gr. v-max bullet for the upcoming squirrel shooting. Can anyone tell me what the OAL should be for this bullet? I would like a taller round for accuracy reasons. Thanks.

SAAMI max is 2.26" COL. I see you are already loading to 2.4" with the 55gr. How did you come up with this length?

You can either use a COL gauge like the Sinclair or Hornady model, or you can use the "soft seat" method.......

My Hornady manual list the C.O.L. as 2.200 with the 50g V-Max. I don't see AA2015 listed as a powder choice in this manual or I'd list start and max loads for you.

How did you come up with the 2.400 as C.O.L. with the 55g Vmax? The manual lists it as 2.250. The only reason I ask is, if you found the lands with the 55g and backed off a safe distance, you can just do the same with the 50g. Provided it fits your magazine.

If you're just looking for a "starter" length, there it is.

Back