My mom told me to start reloading for my shot gun.

GJ2nd

She wants some thing that she can shoot at stray dogs and not kill them. She suggests buck shot...I say that is to kill deer!! How about rock salt? She says OK.

SO can I reload rock salt in my 20gage?

If so what powder are you guys using(in a 20 in genral)? Don't they shoot a pistol powder? How about primers and wads?

I have only reloaded for a rifle, are their some tricks and tips I should now about?

Looks like I will be using an old Pacific mod. DL-266

Am I forgetting any thing?

Thank you

GJ

Had a problem with a few dogs about 10 yrs ago. Neighbor(mile away) didn't keep a good eye on his 12 dogs and some would veture down to my yard. Didn't mind it as long as the dogs were friendly and would play. One day a Chow and a mut came down and got agressive(hair up on back showing teeth) then came at me. Wrong thing to do in my yard! Called the neighbor he came down got the dogs and apologized. Same 2 dogs showed up again still not friendly. Called the dog warden, he took the unlicensed dogs back issued a ticket for not having a kennel license for having more than ten dogs. Month later same 2 dogs this time chased my 3 year old daughter to the house. Called the warden he said "you know what to do". Shot the chow as I felt he was being the alpha pooch. That night I dropped it off on the road in front of neighbors house and run it over with my truck. Legal or not problem was solved and no PO'd neighbors. Really though don't shoot at them unless you intend to kill them plus they make less noise if you just put em down. I bet they would yip for a long time with rock salt in the face or butt. My $.02 RR

Sorry I dont have any info on how to reload shotgun shells.
But I do have a question.How would shooting a dog with rocksalt be illegal?It scares it more than anything I would think,and it gets to keep its life.Seems like a good deal to me.
My uncle shot two dogs in the ally behind my house using birdshot.Killed em' both deader than a doornail.Did the owners find out?I hope so.Did they say anything?Nope.
A few weeks later a pit bull was in our yard,I didnt know if it was aggresive or not so I didnt mess with it.We called the police department and asked what we should do.They said,"shoot it if it comes back".
Lesson #1-Keep your pets home.Or they probably wont come home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Take your moms advice and use the buckshot.
Their stray dogs right?Their the same as a stray cat then.They just say RUFF instead of MEOW.

Quote:
"Am I forgetting any thing?"

Yes! The possible legal consequences.

Jack

What Jack said! Let us know the disposition of your criminal trial when it ends. Are you shooting for just a misdemeanor or going all out for a felony?

If you or another person are not under immediate threat and justified in actually killing the dog (a real self-defense case), you had better forget all about the rock salt and call Animal Control or the police. You're getting ready to invite "heap big trouble" on yourself, and your Mom should know better. I'm not trying to be a jerk to you. I'm trying to scare some sense into you and save you from enormous legal/financial headaches.

CHAPTER 21.--CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS. KANSAS CRIMINAL CODE (ARTICLES 31 TO 47) . PART II.--PROHIBITED CONDUCT. ARTICLE 43.--CRIMES AGAINST THE PUBLIC MORALS.
21-4310. Cruelty to animals - AMENDED 2008

2008 Kansas Laws Ch. 175 (H.B. 2780)

KANSAS 2008 SESSION LAWS
REGULAR SESSION
Additions are indicated by Text; deletions by
Text. Changes in tables are made but not highlighted.

Ch. 175 (H.B. No. 2780)
West's No. 162
CRIMES AND OFFENSES--ADMINISTRATIVE LAW AND PROCEDURE--CONVICTION OF CRIME

AN ACT concerning crimes, punishment and criminal procedure; amending K.S.A. 21-3412a, 21-4310, 21-4619 and 22-3716 and K.S.A. 2007 Supp. 28-176 and repealing the existing sections.

Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Kansas:
Sec. 2. K.S.A. 21-4310 is hereby amended to read as follows:

>

21-4310. (a) Cruelty to animals is:
(1) Intentionally and maliciously killing, injuring, maiming, torturing, burning or mutilating any animal;
(2) intentionally abandoning or leaving any animal in any place without making provisions for its proper care;
(3) having physical custody of any animal and intentionally failing to provide such food, potable water, protection from the elements, opportunity for exercise and other care as is needed for the health or well-being of such kind of animal;
(4) intentionally using a wire, pole, stick, rope or any other object to cause an equine to lose its balance or fall, for the purpose of sport or entertainment; or
(5) intentionally causing any physical injury other than the acts described in subsection (a)(1).
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1) Normal or accepted veterinary practices;
(2) bona fide experiments carried on by commonly recognized research facilities;
(3) killing, attempting to kill, trapping, catching or taking of any animal in accordance with the provisions of chapter 32 or chapter 47 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated;
(4) rodeo practices accepted by the rodeo cowboys' association;
(5) the humane killing of an animal which is diseased or disabled beyond recovery for any useful purpose, or the humane killing of animals for population control, by the owner thereof or the agent of such owner residing outside of a city or the owner thereof within a city if no animal shelter, pound or licensed veterinarian is within the city, or by a licensed veterinarian at the request of the owner thereof, or by any officer or agent of an incorporated humane society, the operator of an animal shelter or pound, a local or state health officer or a licensed veterinarian three business days following the receipt of any such animal at such society, shelter or pound;
(6) with respect to farm animals, normal or accepted practices of animal husbandry, including the normal and accepted practices for the slaughter of such animals for food or by-products and the careful or thrifty management of one's herd or animals, including animal care practices common in the industry or region;
(7) the killing of any animal by any person at any time which may be found outside of the owned or rented property of the owner or custodian of such animal and which is found injuring or posing a threat to any person, farm animal or property;
(8) an animal control officer trained by a licensed veterinarian in the use of a tranquilizer gun, using such gun with the appropriate dosage for the size of the animal, when such animal is vicious or could not be captured after reasonable attempts using other methods;
(9) laying an equine down for medical or identification purposes;
(10) normal or accepted practices of pest control, as defined in subsection (x) of K.S.A. 2-2438a, and amendments thereto; or
(11) accepted practices of animal husbandry pursuant to regulations promulgated by the United States department of agriculture for domestic pet animals under the animal welfare act, public law 89-544, as amended and in effect on July 1, 2006.
(c) As used in this section:
(1) "Equine" means a horse, pony, mule, jenny, donkey or hinny.
(2) "Maliciously" means a state of mind characterized by actual evil-mindedness or specific intent to do a harmful act without a reasonable justification or excuse.
(d)(1) Cruelty to animals as described in subsection (a)(1) is a non-person felony. Upon conviction of this subsection, a person shall be sentenced to not less than 30 days or more than one year's imprisonment and be fined not less than $500 nor more than $5,000. During the mandatory 30 days imprisonment, such offender shall have a psychological evaluation prepared for the court to assist the court in determining conditions of probation. Such conditions shall include, but not be limited to, the completion of an anger management program.
(2) The first conviction of cruelty to animals as described in subsection (a)(2), (a)(3), (a)(4) and (a)(5) is a class A nonperson misdemeanor. The second or subsequent conviction of cruelty to animals as described in subsection (a)(2), (a)(3), (a)(4) and (a)(5) is a non-person felony. Upon such conviction, a person shall be sentenced to not less than five days or more than one year's imprisonment and be fined not less than $500 nor more than $2,500.
(e) For purposes of this section, "animal" shall have the meaning ascribed to it in K.S.A. 21-4313, and amendments thereto.

21-4311. Cruelty to animals; custody of animal; disposition; damages for killing, when; expenses of care assessed owner, when; duty of county or district attorney.

(a) Any public health officer, law enforcement officer, licensed veterinarian or officer or agent of any incorporated humane society, animal shelter or other appropriate facility may take into custody any animal, upon either private or public property, which clearly shows evidence of cruelty to animals, as defined in K.S.A. 21-4310 and amendments thereto. Such officer, agent or veterinarian may inspect, care for or treat such animal or place such animal in the care of a duly incorporated humane society or licensed veterinarian for treatment, boarding or other care or, if an officer of such humane society or such veterinarian determines that the animal appears to be diseased or disabled beyond recovery for any useful purpose, for humane killing. If the animal is placed in the care of an animal shelter, the animal shelter shall notify the owner or custodian, if known or reasonably ascertainable. If the owner or custodian is charged with a violation of K.S.A. 21-4310, and amendments thereto, the board of county commissioners in the county where the animal was taken into custody shall establish and approve procedures whereby the animal shelter may petition the district court to be allowed to place the animal for adoption or euthanize the animal at any time after 20 days after the owner or custodian is notified or, if the owner or custodian is not known or reasonably ascertainable after 20 days after the animal is taken into custody, unless the owner or custodian of the animal files a renewable cash or performance bond with the county clerk of the county where the animal is being held, in an amount equal to not less than the cost of care and treatment of the animal for 30 days. Upon receiving such petition, the court shall determine whether the animal may be placed for adoption or euthanized. The board of county commissioners in the county where the animal was taken into custody shall review the cost of care and treatment being charged by the animal shelter maintaining the animal.

(b) The owner or custodian of an animal placed for adoption or killed pursuant to subsection (a) shall not be entitled to recover damages for the placement or killing of such animal unless the owner proves that such placement or killing was unwarranted.

(c) Expenses incurred for the care, treatment or boarding of any animal, taken into custody pursuant to subsection (a), pending prosecution of the owner or custodian of such animal for the crime of cruelty to animals, as defined in K.S.A. 21-4310 and amendments thereto, shall be assessed to the owner or custodian as a cost of the case if the owner or custodian is adjudicated guilty of such crime.

(d) Upon the filing of a sworn complaint by any public health officer, law enforcement officer, licensed veterinarian or officer or agent of any incorporated humane society, animal shelter or other appropriate facility alleging the commission of cruelty to animals, as defined in K.S.A. 21-4310 and amendments thereto, the county or district attorney shall determine the validity of the complaint and shall forthwith file charges for the crime if the complaint appears to be valid.

(e) If a person is adjudicated guilty of the crime of cruelty to animals, as defined in K.S.A. 21-4310 and amendments thereto, and the court having jurisdiction is satisfied that an animal owned or possessed by such person would be in the future subjected to such crime, such animal shall not be returned to or remain with such person. Such animal may be turned over to a duly incorporated humane society or licensed veterinarian for sale or other disposition.

Consider this as well:

I have no idea as to your age, but if you are convicted of Section (a)1, that's a felony and you lose your gun rights FOREVER! If your Mom is convicted, you can no longer keep YOUR guns in HER house because she will have lost her gun rights (No gun possession).

Is it worth it?

Either shoot to kill or don't shoot. Rock salt can kill. It can also blind, maim, and cripple.
In the words of the King of Rock n Roll... "Don't Be Cruel"!
If you don't want to kill the animal, then call animal control or use a non lethal option (pepper spray, etc).
I've run off numerous stray dogs with nothing more than an aggressive tone and a relentless advance. Usually they tuck tail and run or cower and want to be petted (show submission). If they stand their ground and want to fight then shoot to kill.
A "stray" dog is usually just that.... Someone's pet who strayed. Poll your neighbors and try to find the owner. It's part of being a good neighbor. If it's attacking livestock, then it's fair game.
My two cents....

Last edited:
If you have an old BB gun laying around itll do a much better job and I'd be willing to bet the dogs won't come back.

I have an old Crosman 760 and I just pump it a few times depending how far the dog is away then give it one in the hind end.

I had a problem with a neighbors down that constantly came to my house and got on the porch to eat my dog and cats food. He was friendly enough and I had nothing against him but I did not take him to raise. I called the neighbor and told them. The first reaction was "its just a dog", second was "You must be mistaken it aint my dog". I am a very patient person but did nto take long to tire of it. Next time it happen I called the the neighbor again said it was not their dog. I told them that I had shot the dog, and it was out easy to reconize. The conversation ended abruptly as I was sure they rushed out to see if their dog was in the yard. It was,and it was the pretty shade of paintball pink you ever saw. The dog never came back to my house!!!

GJ,,,,,,,,, Your posts never fail to amaze me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif What are you,, twelve??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I wonder if your Mother actually asked you to do this,,, but if she did,, I suggest you two test your loads by taking turns shooting each other in the butt with the rock salt untill the degree of discomfort you're looking for is attained!!!

You could very well become the poster boy for gun controll..

Good day sir. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
GJ,,,,,,,,, Your posts never fail to amaze me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif What are you,, twelve??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I wonder if your Mother actually asked you to do this,,, but if she did,, I suggest you two test your loads by taking turns shooting each other in the butt with the rock salt untill the degree of discomfort you're looking for is attained!!!

You could very well become the poster boy for gun control...

Good day sir. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

---

He is the 8th grade, so I think that makes him 13, unless he's from Rio Linda, in which case, he could be 20 in the 8th grade....

---

Hey Kid...

Don't be a dipstick. You're not old enough to make these decisions yourself, and she's irresponsible if she is telling you this garbage.

Tell your momma to get a slingshot and chase it away herself, or call the police/animal control.

Shoot the wrong dog, or the wrong person's dog, and you're in a heap of trouble that won't go away.

Quote:

He is the 8th grade, so I think that makes him 13, unless he's from Rio Linda, in which case, he could be 20 in the 8th grade....

Is Rio Linda in Kansas?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yea Cat,,, I knew he was in the 8th grade.. That's why I took it easy on him... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hate it when my neighbor's dogs come on my place too, but the idea of shooting someone's pet is just wrong. (Although I do like the paint-ball idea, as long as they're wearing goggels so I don't put an eye out.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)
Wild Dogs and Feral cats are a whole different story.

Quote:
Quote:
"... He is the 8th grade, so I think that makes him 13, unless he's from Rio Linda, in which case, he could be 20 in the 8th grade....

Is Rio Linda in Kansas?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

EVERY state has a Rio Linda! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
"... and Feral cats are a whole different story."

You rang?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

people who don't control their dogs bug the heck out of me. One day i'm sitting beside a lake fishing and some ladies dog comes up and pees all over me. She didn't even do anything to the dog. Some liberal whacko lady from portland giving me a hard time about hunting. I should of blew her dog away right there infront of her and then saved the other 2 rounds of buck for the lady and her big mouth.

if you can't control your animals so they don't bother o r harm others then you don't deserve to own them.

Quote:
I should of blew her dog away right there infront of her and then saved the other 2 rounds of buck for the lady and her big mouth.

GJ

Looks like you won't be the poster boy after all...

Better luck next time...

Cat.... You need to take a trip up to Lapwai Idaho... Bring lots of ammo though, cause there's more Feral cats than you can shake a stick at..
Our Range is just outside of Lapwai,,, talk about a Win Win.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Oh Yea,,, One day a big Black one walked right across the berm at the 100yrd line. There was a fellow with a couple of youngsters there so I didn't...
Probably the hardest thing I ever did (or didn't do) in my life... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last edited:
Yea..RePete,The route from the range in Lapwai to your place is outstanding,I can certainly see where a target of opportunity could present itself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back