Are coyotes a danger to my dogs?

Zorak1911

I own a large cattle ranch in central Florida. Due to land development and favorable conditions we now have a booming coyote population. Lately they have been driving my dogs crazy at night with their howling, and a juvenile even came within 50 yards of the house the other morning. My 2 dogs(border collie~50lbs, and blue heeler~35lbs) immediately showed aggression toward the intruder, but the yote seemed like it wanted to play with them. There was no physical contact but I am sure if the yote didn't act so playful and submissive they would have attacked it. If I were there I would have shot but it was my mother who witnessed it and she can barely hit a snake with her 410 at close range. The yotes are getting braver and coming closer to the house. The dogs stay in the yard at night but I am wondering if we should be concerned about their safety if the pack decides to pay them a visit.

A better way to word my question would be: What are the chances they will be brave enough to approach the house to get at my dogs considering the fact that they have plenty to eat and get greeted with a spotlight and gun when they get too close.

I dont think they would mess with a heeler or a collie. Id be worried if I had a dog less than 25lbs and even though your heeler is kinda small I know that they are pretty tough dogs and could easily take on a Florida sized coyote. Having both of your dogs together should ward off any attacks from coyotes. They still might howl/bark and heck maybe even play with your dogs, but I SERIOUSLY doubt they would attack your dogs.

Just my $.02.

If a coyote can lure the dog away from the house it (the dog) might be in trouble.
Sometimes the coyote will make a yiping, pitiful sound to lure the dog out to where the rest of the pack is waiting to jump on it.
Keep the dogs close and they should be alright.

I found this on the next page concerning coyotes attacking livestock.

Quote:
Out here in Arizona, I know quite a few folks that have horses, cattle, sheep, etc., and they all have Queensland Heelers, (also know as Blue Heelers, Australian cattle dogs, Austrailian Shephards).

They are extremely protective, and they HATE coyotes. They will go out of their way to chase a coyote down, just to kill it.

maybe get a larger dog their are many 100 lbs plus guardian breeds for livestock out there that would keep coyote away and help your other dogs if they get into a jam?

Here's what it is, you do with it what you wish.

Those two dogs of your's, would stand little chance against an adult alpha pr of coyotes. Whom hold the area/territory your ranch is on. Let alone a local pr of coyotes or a family group of coyotes.

A determined Alpha coyote or a pr, can/will try to kill, or run off most breeds of dogs. Whether your dog is alone or with another dog. Size, of a dog or a couple of dogs. Does not determine they area safe from a coyote attack.

Quote:
Size, of a dog or a couple of dogs. Does not determine they area safe from a coyote attack.

b.s. My grandmother has had 2 german shepherds and a red heeler on her ranch for quite a while now and typically if a coyote is seen by any of her dogs its gets ran off, especially if it is caught trespassing by the alpha german shepherd.

LOL! ok, I'll see your bs, & raise you some bs.

Size of "A" dog or a couple of dogs[note; did not mention the size of the latter or 2nd dog]. Nor, did I ever mention two German Shepherds with a side kick.

You seem to know much about what an Alpha pr of coyote's will or won't do. Let alone a family group...really?. Why don't YOU, elaborate to the mass's, here. So we ALL will be much more informed. I'll be on stand-by to learn.

Last edited:
Guys,

I certainly agree with Kirby... any dog or dogs caught in the middle of a pack or even pair of coyotes is in big trouble. The dogs may eventually win the battle or even kill the coyotes but what the coyotes will likely do to them will be very costly at the vet's!
Pound for pound a coyote is one of the toughest, meanest critters I've ever laid a hand on. Even cougar and bear will walk rather than get in a fight with a pack of coyotes. Watch National Geographic sometime! LOL

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Size of "A" dog or a couple of dogs[note; did not mention the size of the latter or 2nd dog].

If the size of the first dog doesnt matter, why would the size of the second dog matter?

Quote:
Nor, did I ever mention two German Shepherds with a side kick.

The german shepherds were for size reference and to point out that having more than one dog may help prevent an attack. (i.e. If my grandmother had a single smaller dog, lets say a jack russel, it would more than likely be a nice tasty snack for the local coyotes, but she happens to have 2 large dogs and 1 medium sized dog that form a pack and tend to chase off coyotes rather than tolerate them). Making your "size of A dog or number of dogs wont help" point false.

Quote:
You seem to know much about what an Alpha pr of coyote's will or won't do. Let alone a family group...really?. Why don't YOU, elaborate to the mass's, here. So we ALL will be much more informed. I'll be on stand-by to learn

I have already stated what I know on the matter which I would not distinguish as "much".

OP- Purchasing a donkey will help ward off coyotes.

I'll share a few stories.

Large Long Haired Collie & Golden Retriever cross, [very large male dog]. Dog chained to the back door on a patio. Two coyotes had that dog on his back pinned to the ground. One coyote had the dog by the throat, the other was biting the dogs belly. Acrege owner's beat both coyote's off of their dog with brooms. Coyotes took a beating from the dog's owner's before they let go & ran.
--------------------------
Large Norwegian Elkhound male & a small Shitzu male. Elkhound was stretched out & pinned to the ground by a family group of coyotes. Two other coyotes had the Shitzu stretched out. Acrege owner's shoo'd the coyotes away with a blast from his shotgun. Vet, stitched up the Elkhound, he eventually recoverd. The shitzu had to be put down.
-----------------------

Large Golden Chow-x dog, fighting a coyote on the front yard of a farmsted. Both canines were ripping on eachother during daylight.
------------------------------
Large male black Lab, fighting a coyote in the farmyard up by the house, during daylight.

Last edited:
I use to be a houndsman many yrs ago. I'm quite familar with the fighting ability of a fresh coyote. Not to mention their endurance/stamina. lb for lb, a coyote can beat any dog on all accounts. They are a blur in a fight. Et can be very bold, when pr'd up or in a family group. Especially, at night. Just so you know.

I still dont think that the coyotes will be a danger to your dogs and I still think that the size and number of dogs one has will promote or demote coyote attacks.

I also have a story regarding coyotes attacking dogs.

Several years ago before my grandmother had any german shepherds or heelers she had a ~50lbs golden retriever cross that was chased by a coyote for a good 3/4 mile before the coyote relented.

You both have valid points I didn't mean to start a big debate. We actually bought a donkey to watch over our goats and horses when our great pyrenees died from a tumor. We used to have a really bad wild dog problem some years back so we bought Sampson a male great pyrenees. He almost instantly bonded with our goats and would rather spend time with them than at the house with us. Every so often we would hear dogs fighting at the barn and run out with the guns. Not to protect Sampson from the wild dog(s) but rather to put them out of their misery. He was one tough dude and I miss him. I'd put money on him against several coyotes. Aside from that I wouldn't want any of my dogs to ever have to tangle with coyotes. I believe every word you say about how tough they are.

I have seen one dog kill a coyote in no more than 5 seconds. But I agree with the danger that a pack of coyotes represents to a smaller number of dogs of any size.

In my early teens relatives had a farm with 800 sheep. One summer I lived with them, they had two rented coyote dogs, one huge male greyhound/somethingbig cross, and one purebred female greyhound. She was the catcher; he was the killer. They hunted by sight so you had to show them a coyote to make it work.

Only once I saw the whole chase. A coyote can run, but greyhounds can fly low. The female seemed to gain every stride until she caught up to the coyote and bit at his hind end. He stopped running and turned to fight her, and about 3 seconds later the big male caught up to the fight, and hit it just like a linebacker at full speed. The male and the coyote rolled over a few times in the dust, and when that huge dog stood up, he had the coyote by the head and was shaking it. It was already limp and dead. At 14, I was impressed.

More recently I have had friends who lost both their Shepherd/labtype crosses (both at least 65 lbs) in one night after a pack invaded the farm yard. It was over before the husband woke up, got his pants on and out into the yard.

We called a lot, baited, and just played sniper in the evening in that area all that winter.

bigbronco,

You freely slung out the abreviation "bs". On what I previously stated. I find that amusing. I've seen this before on here, If I recall correctly LOL!

Then further you state....
"I have already stated what I know on the matter which I would not distinguish as "much"."

I would like to hear what YOU do know on this matter, or a simmilar scenario. What is this "bs" slang based on? Explain further.
---------------------------

Who among us can state [without a doubt]... ie; "NEVER". An Alpha pr of coyotes or a family group. Would "NEVER", attack a pr or a small group of dogs.

Yet you won't recant your tossing out the term "bs". As a matter of fact in your opinion. Why else would you state that? Hmmmmm?

I look forward to reading of your knowledge & experience on this scenario.

"bs" is a bastardized, farmer/cowboy term often misused and therefore often misunderstood, "bs" refers more formally to what is used as FERTILIZER to make our crops grow bigger and better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

"bs" is also sometimes used by those who are not personally acquainted with the actual material as well as the slang term. Used in that manner, it's likely to get somebody's little butt whipped real good if in "mixed company". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As a Graduate of the Oklahoma STATE UNIVERSITY, I am proud to identify myself as one who knows from both ends of the horses mouth what the material is that proceeds from the south bound end of a north bound steer. I usually just 'step in it' but sometime's I burn in my camp fire if it is goodn' dry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

When I graduated from OSU they still called it a Cow College. Now that T. Boone Pickens donated so much cash to the school, there is no telling but they might name the whole place not just the Stadium for him! MONEY TALKS,[beeep] WALKS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Sam H. Asbury, III
CLEET #08 PIA 2782

A coyote hunt;

One of our trailhounds, was put on a fresh Red track going into a large timber patch. Out the other side, came 1-very large coyote.

Coyote headed NorEast towards our friend Larry. Larry, had a lone large male Greyhound[Jack]. Jack was 85lbs +/- & all kick butt.

Larry turned out Jack alone on this coyote[which happened to be a [47lb female]. Jack caught her, they fought hard. Eventually the coyote commenced to kick Jack's butt.

Jack broke off the fight & ran towards his owner's truck. Well, this coyote wasn't done with Jack. So she ran Jack down, two different times before he reached the truck. That coyote kicked his rump good.

Coyote loped on, around 1/2 mile further. We were sitting on the gravel & dumped a handfull of coyote Greyhounds.
Only 1-dog seen the coyote on the hills. That happened to be the toughest in the group. A large Alaskian Malamute/Greyhound male cross[named whitey]. Whitey was as large as Jack & tough as nails.

Whitey tackled the coyote down in a weeded creek bed. All the other dogs never seen them. One on one, whitey & that coyote fought hard. Face to face, the whole time.
Eventually, whitey had enough butt kicking & let her go.

Female coyote, kicked two tough dog's carcass. After loping & running near a mile. They are tough critters. Et when determined, are a terror on a dog.

Other than a dog grabbing a coyote on a body part. Where the coyote can't use it's fangs. Any dog will pay dearly for their effort.

Last edited:
Back