Winchester 100 in 308

AIRBORNE

Are the Win. 100 in 308 accurate enough for long range 'yots and cats? I live and hunt in SW MO. and hunt in Western Kansas so I get 40 to 50 yd shots and some times they hang up at 350 to 400. I was wondering if anyone uses these old 100's and can the 4 rounds capacity be increased to 6 or 8 rounds?

AIRBORNE

I believe the 100s were the auto loader version of the mdl 88 lever guns which I have one it 243 and it's damm accurate shoots better than I do most days.

I don't believe high cap mags were ever made for these

I see alot of them come into our rifle house come sight in days and they all seem to be able to sight them in well and hit the 4x4 steel gong @ 200yds without any problems

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone uses these old 100's and can the 4 rounds capacity be increased to 6 or 8 rounds?

I had one for a few years. It was in like-new shape when I bought it (used). The best I ever got out of it, with handloads and experimenting, was 11 rounds before it jammed.
Usually it took 3 or 4 rounds.
It was about a 2 MOA rifle, at best, with a Leupold Vari-X II off the bench.
The way it's built, it's not an easy rifle to bed, with the gas system and op-rods needing clearance.
I never got it to function well enough to trust it for elk hunting, so I sold it.
That was my experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

On the mags, you'll pay a premium for them, and if you were going to modify one you would have to graft a new bottom onto it and find an extended spring. Might as well build one up from scratch.

Why don't you just get an M1 Garand or an M1A? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
I believe the 100s were the auto loader version of the mdl 88 lever guns which I have one it 243 and it's damm accurate shoots better than I do most days.

Yes, the bolt and barrel look to be identical. My dad's used a Model 88 in .308 Win. since they came out, and it is very accurate.

Last edited:
I don't have any but my dad collects them. Think he has over 30 of them. All the calibers. Both in the carbine, and rifle. Both pre 64, and post 64. He says he gets 1-1/2" or better out of most of them. With no problems what so ever. He has had the firing pins changed in all of them though. The most accurite he has is a 284 carbine. He says it will do 3/4" with factory ammo. They are good deer hunting guns but I think you could do better for coyotes.

Quote:
He says he gets 1-1/2" or better out of most of them. With no problems what so ever.

Mine may have been a lemon. Get more opinions.
Here's what I traded it in for, and I have 9 round mags for it:

021.jpg

That hasn't jammed in 25 years, but the brass isn't easy to salvage (or find). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

an M1A might be the best of both worlds and double as a Tactical as well, but what problems does one run in to in placing a scope on an M1A?

I have an 8 round magazine that came the the 100 I bought from my FIL. It is called a Colyer Clip. Probably can't get them anymore anyway. Isn't 5 enough?

Fast Ed

I've had a pre-64 100 in .308 for 22 yrs. I've never needed to split hairs with it so I've not tinkered with it. It shoots 1 1/2"-2" three shot groups at 100yds with about any 150-165 grainer I've put thru it. Although when I was younger I killed a few yotes with it, its no longer my choice to take out of the safe hunting. I've also got a pre-64 88 .308 that was my Dads and there's no comparison between the two. It shoots better than some bolt guns I've got.

Only one I've known still belongs to a friend. It shoots 2-2.5" groups. Trigger leaves much to be desired.

100's had a reputation for inaccuracy, but I've not toyed with enough to form my own opinion........

Hi, The 100's and 88's are some of my favorite auto and lever rifles . The triggers leave some to be desired but if you can control yourself they will shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yrds. Keep them clean and my 308 , 243 , and 284 , will spill all 9 shots out off a colyer clip as fast as you can pull the trigger with out a hitch. My 88 is as reliable as any weapon I own!!! The thing to think about is the collector value before you start banging one around. I have one in the box, pre 64, that I was offered a grand for. I turned him down!! Do your part and the 100 will do a good job at reasonable ranges. If you really like the old Winchesters pick up a pre 64 model 70 in .243 . they were great shooters with unusually long barrel life. Good shooting! Mark

I had a 100 in 243 that wasn't a great shooter. The one really good thing about the rifle that I will tell you is that it is worth more parted out than it is whole. I didn't pay much for my rifle and was able to turn a nice little profit by selling off a couple of factory parts and replacing with aftermarket parts. If you have the original basketweave stock shop it around, it is the same stock for the 88 and brings some nice money on e-bay...

The basket weave is a post 1964 stock. The pre 1964 stocks were all hand checkered and quite cluby actually!! A post 64 in nice shape no matter how it shoots if it is original will bring $600 or better at any gun show.With the 243 being one of the more collectible, most say only behind the behind the 284. So I hope you got a bunch out of your stock!!!!!! Mark

yes my mother shoots with a win 100 in 308, I have shot it and she has busted a couple kitties with it. I would use out to 200 yards- uneless I had better zeros, scope and shot it all the time. Hers hold about 1.5 MOA. But she is almost 70. jhg

How nayone could describe one of these as being "quite cluby", I don't know. I absolutely love the feel/fit of this stock. I could see describing the basketweave ones as being quite "fugly", though........

100_0309.jpg

That looks like a really nice 88!! I should clarify what I meant. The stocks on some of the early 100's were very thick in the pistol grip . Most collectors will actually look for these , they were also very dark in color ! The 88's did not have the same feel with the leaver. I don't know if Winchester slimmed the profile on them or not but they felt a lot different in the hands than a 100 did! I have an 88 in 284 that is basket weave, I guess its all in your taste because I kind of like it, not as much as my pre 64'S but nice none the less! Mark

Back