Savage 24F-12 Combo...ultimate yote gun???

CoyoteCommander

http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm

Does anyone here own one of this guns. I was thinking of how this cant be the ultimate coyote gun, got the shotgun and rifle all in one how could you go wrong your prepaird for the short and long distance shots. But is it accurate. If anyone has this rifle let me know how you like it. Thanks!

It is the ultimate coyote gun in 223/12gauge. But a couple of things to be careful with. The side mount for a scope is not going to cut it, have a gunsmith drill and tap it (make sure he knows what he is doing) be careful when you are shooting the 223 and not select the 12, easy to do without practice and the cut on the eyebrow usually requires stitches. When you have this gun its like the Boy Scouts always prepared for one shot and one shot only. The coyote in my avatar came from the model 24 on shotgun at 20 yards. Its in the pic on bipods.

Last edited:
hmmmm its not a looker by any means, but utiliterian all the way. i feel its about $200 over priced (but i maybe wrong, i would like to fondel it for a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

dont get me wrong i have NO prob spending cash on a gun, but i just need a bit of conformation on it. ihave found recently that two sets of eyes are better than two types of guns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

COOL FIND

Quote:
Savage 24F-12 Combo...ultimate yote gun???

Uhhh... no. If it were we would all be using one. Considering how few do use one of them, that'll tell ya something. I tried one and found it heavy, bulky, handled like a fence post, rough/heavy/gritty trigger, the selector is easy to bungle at the wrong time, the scope mount sucked and didn't retain zero, and the additional problem of getting the rifle barrel and shotgun barrel close enough to point of impact through a scope to actually be usable. That's my experience and quite a few others too from what I gather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

All of the above can be worked out,drill and tap the scope. Best thing about it, is you only carry one gun and are ready for a hard charger at 15 yds and one that hangs at 200. I dont have any stock in savage or if they even still make the gun, but I would buy one yesterday if they made it in 204/12gauge.

The Savage 24F is a good gun it's accurate and I think a great predator calling gun. A little heavy but maybe that's OK for you. The 24F that I had, already came drilled for scope mounts. Ironsighter makes some see thru mounts specifically for this model. You need to mount a shotgun or black powder scope on it if your going to use a scope because of the eye relief. The shotgun pattern usually hits low from the rifles point of impact. There's nothing you can do about it other than stick a dime, nickel or something between the barrels to bring them in closer. i recommend using the see through mounts and iron sights for the shotgun and the scope for the rifle. I have 3 combos now, a savage 22Mag/20 ga, and two russian Baikals, one is a 30-06/12 ga and the other is a 223/12 ga. Just sold a Savage 24f because I found the Baikal at a good price and it has an adjustment to bring the point of impact of the two barrels together. Good luck I really like mine. But I'm just a predator hunter in training. Cya OB

Don't have one but always wanted one but I`ll never have a new one at seven bills. That is a big chunk for a break action even if it is two guns in one. The turkey hunters I know that have this gun love it but say the shotgun kicks your teeth out. Sooner or later I'll pick one up from the used market, it should make a great night hunting gun.

Back around 1999 I started hinting preds, and thought this would be the ultimate pred gun...bought one and used it about 5 sets and sold it....Sorry I never liked it.,
I'm a rifle man and that is it...Never liked shotguns unless I was hunting pheasants. So my opinion is go with one or the other, because every time I try to get a tool that covers two purposes, I always go back to just one. Its like that ShopSmith they used to sell, was a lathe, drill press, and couple more things, would do them all but did none well.
This of course is my personnel opinion, your mileage may vary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

A friend came out to North Idaho from Florida and brought one in .223/12 to do a little hunting with me. It shot so well that I bought it from him. He now has another one in the same combo, plus one in .30-30/12. Great set up for hogs and deer in Florida and as mine has proved coyotes in North Idaho.

Took one in Nov'08 using a Lyman cast 12 gauge, 1-1/4 oz slug and another in Dec'08 using the .223 barrel. After nearly 50 rounds of .223 and 50 rounds of 12 ga ammo run through, it's still holding center. Scope for .223 barrel and using the iron sights for the 12 ga barrel, with see-thru mounts.

When hunting the thick stuff and the need for something different in your hands is right now, I don't have to lay one down and pick up another to fire the shot. Simply select which barrel you want and take your shot.

You have the option of changing from a rifled choke tube or a tight choked turkey tube or something in between. I'm currently looking for one in the .30-30/12 combo, to add to my critter gitter selection!

Remington Raider

I own two. Way back when...I bought a 223/20 (before the 12 guage came out). I recently inherited a 223/12.

Like any other there are pros and cons!

It "really" sucks when you get a double comin' in. Always let em come as far as they will and load the first one up with BBs from the shotgun (if he comes that close). Then jump on the wounded pup distress and the other "may" give you a chance with the 223.

It is like packing a boat anchor around and rather front heavy! Shoulder sling doesn't work too well as it's front heavy.

But....you are ready for either situation, close or far with less to carry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif! I'd rather drop em with the BBs any day as there are no holes to patch. Plus, it really ups the experience to have them in your lap! Although, there is great satisfaction in pulling off a clean long shot also!

Trigger "sucks" from the factory but gunsmith can lighten it up. For some reason when the trigger is lightened up the hammer gets heavier to pull. I assume there is a single spring and you can't have the best of both worlds????

It is a good gun for by yourself calling. I usually hunt with someone else and I pack my Tikka T3 in 22-250 & they pack my Benelli 12 Guage w/BB or vice-versa.

Good luck choosin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I always wanted one but like others said it doesnt
handle well, its not that heavy but where the weight
is makes it kinda cumbersome. We had a deer hunting
guy in MN who would drop deer in the AM with the 223
and one the way back to camp he would stop dragging
the deer and squirel hunt, the guy was like Daniel
Boone with squirels in his pocket and a doe in tow.

I have one in .223/12 with a 2x7 Nikon scope on it. I like it for hunting timber and thicker stuff. Mine shoots the shotgun barrel lower then the rifle so I have see through mounts that I use for the shotgun. It works for me. I really like it during turkey season. Beats packing two guns.

I see a lot of them on the used gun racks--usually after someone buys them new then trades them back in on something else.

The are butt-ugly, heavy and I have heard that the shotgun recoil is very tough on rifle scopes--could be urban legend, though.

Tim

i have a 24-v it is a older version in 222/20. with a 3x9 scope in se hrough rings. it is a tack driver out to 150/200 yards. i have shot many critters with this gun.i have made the mistake in having the hammer set on the wrong barrell before.said a few choice words after.
awesome survival gun.

Back