Snuggie Ghillie?

unloaded

I keep seeing these ads on TV for the Snuggie, more or less a throw blanket with sleeves. I was wondering if anybody makes a ghillie "suit" like this? Seems like it would be perfect to just pack it and throw it on once everything is setup and you're ready to start calling. If there is something out there already like it, could somebody point me towards it. Here's a link to the Snuggie if you don't know what I'm talking about.
https://www.getsnuggie.com/flare/next?tag=ED|SM|GO|TM|

peace.
unloaded

If you grab a ground blind for about $18 and a pack of zip-ties you can make one in about an hour. And it works VERY well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I used 2 ground blinds to make it longer, but one will work fine for sitting. The blind material is doubled, to make it reversible (and twice as thick/dense).
(Mine is digital sage, which I can't find listed at Midway now). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Camo Systems Quick Set Ground Blind 38" x 10'

I've seen it on sale there for $18.

A pic, huh? I usually charge a modeling fee for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DSCN0267.jpg

That's all stitched together with nylon cable-ties through the "web" of the die-cut leaves. $40 total invested.

Quote:
P.S.-You can put the modeling tip on my tab,I'm good for it. LOL

Naw, I'm going to waive it this time. It's not that good a pic, and I'm wearing pants. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you get the material and decide to build one, PM me and I'll show you how I laid it out.

Evil Lurker,
Please do! I have material already, Have a swatch of burlap like older military pattern camo material about 6'x12'. Also have two swatches of realtree leafy cut camo blind material. one about 6'x12' and the other about 3'x12'. Did you use a Snugie to fasten the material too? I have an old light weight rain coat,with hood, green in color that I could use for a base. It comes down past my waist. Figured I could take the swatches and cut them into strips about 24"x2", cut small holes in the raincoat, fold the strips in half so they are 12" long and fasten the strips using your idea of zip ties. Would probably use the burlap material for the base, and the realtree leafy stuff on top as it is lighter and will have more of a wind blown leaf effect. Think that might work? If so, guess I have a project for when I get off work tomorrow.
Thanks again
Tony

Quote:
Did you use a Snugie to fasten the material too?

No, it's jsut the blind material, doubled and formed into a hollow tube with a slit for the face, like an Army poncho.

Quote:
I have an old light weight rain coat,with hood, green in color that I could use for a base.

That would save you a lot of trial and error, I had to play around a bit to get a decent design.

Quote:
Think that might work?

It probably would. I avoided anything that would absorb water, becaue it rains so much here I figured I would be a tea-bag if I went that route. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The one I built doesn't weigh much, and there's some air circulation through it, and it was still hot to wear in the summer. Not suffocating, but it was about all I wanted.

There were a couple of other posts on here where people used the fabric strips on a mesh jacket, and they turned out real well. I was going for the "minimalist" thing, just wanted to break up my outline. A 6' X 12' would be about right to build a waist-length poncho, doubled. Use the 3' X 12' grafted on the bottom and you've got a fairly long smock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Wow, this thread really grew. I've got no power due to ice so haven't been able to check in much. Lots of good info above but the advantage I see with the Snuggie is you just stick your arms in it. The ponchos and others slide over the body, head first. I've always got stuff on my belt, in my pockets, around my neck...etc. Something always seems to want to snag. I'm gonna take some of the ideas above and combine them with the Snuggie and see what I come up with. The ponchos offer head/face coverage which I'd like too. It didn't occur to me that the Snuggie doesn't until you guys started posting. As soon as I get some time, after the thaw I'll start playing around with it.

peace.
unloaded

The poncho blends your head into your shoulders, and that really seems to help in not getting busted. I can also throw mine on over my pack and camo everything, if I'm walking.

Back