Fill in the blank..........

sendit223

Black rifle.

90 times out of 100 will shoot less than 150 yards (50/50 on less than 100 yards).

What scope/red dot/illuminated reticle/halo & magnifier do you buy?

Do not neet night vision...but really want it for no reason other than it's cool.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Ok, I've been wondering about the EOTech versus the Aimpoint versus an illuminated reticle Leupold as far as warranty goes. From what I can tell, it's 2 years for EO, 10 years for Aimpoint, and lifetime for the Leupold.

If you were pre-purchase like me, would you factor this into your decision and why or why not?

What I factor into the decision is I can hit a coyote at 150 yards with an EOTech, and it's much easier to use on running targets. There's no parallax error, so you don't need a consistent eye position like a scope, and the window is huge. I don't even consider the warranty, I got what I thought would work best.
I have an EOTech for thick stuff and a Nikon Monarch 4-12AO for the open country, and I'm pretty well set. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
But any of the options you mention are very nice choices, if you keep the Leupold's magnification towards the 2-7 range.
Here's something that I found interesting as an option, too.

Millett 1-4X24 DMS

Millett is now owned by Bushnell, FYI.

Thanks Evil. I think we had this conversation (e-versation?) once before and you mentioned the Millet. Have you tried one yet?

As a proxy for the value of a long warranty, have you or anyone you know used their EOTechs for, say, years? Any trouble? I'm aware of the military uses, but not personally close enough to anyone who has used them extensively.

Quote:
Have you tried one yet?

No, I already have an EOTech. If I had that decision to do over, I'd give the Millett a real hard look, though.

I really haven't had the EOTech long enough, or used it hard enough, to give any opinion on how it will hold up.
I'd say if it will hold up 90 days in a combat role in the sandbox, it's taken more of a beating that the average predator hunter will give it in a lifetime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Have you tried one yet?

No, I already have an EOTech. If I had that decision to do over, I'd give the Millett a real hard look, though.

I really haven't had the EOTech long enough, or used it hard enough, to give any opinion on how it will hold up.
I'd say if it will hold up 90 days in a combat role in the sandbox, it's taken more of a beating that the average predator hunter will give it in a lifetime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I recently talked to a friend/coworker concerning the Eotech. He used one in Iraq during his tour there as a captain in the Army. He had nothing but praise for the Eotech sight. Although he is not a hunter, I asked his opinion anyway as to whether or not this would be a good coyote hunting sight. He just nodded his head and said it was awesome.

That was enough of an endorsement for me as to the Eotech's durability. Personally though, my eyesight isn't the greatest and I may be better off with a regular scope and some magnification. So I am still trying to decide between a scope or Eotech.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat a couple months ago with my AR. Didn't want a big scope but I din't want to be out several hundred bucks to try an EO or such. I happened upon a Bushnell Trophy I think it's called with a " T " reticle and a 1 moa dot in the center. It's illuminated. You can use the green for night time and the red for daylight. Works great for my needs and my wife didn't scalp me after I bought it. I was also concerned about how much accuracy I would lose using this type of scope/ reticle and I can still hold 1/2 moa at 100 yds with it off the bipod and bag.

My $ 0.02

Just my personal exp. I tried red dot and low power scopes I.E. 1.5-5 and i also had a set up with a 3x9 with a red dot mounted on top of the scope and THAT ONE was as close to perfect i ever got, it was a tasco optura 2000 with a mount that mounted to the scope tube, 3 or 5 moa i dont remember . I found that the red dots just dont cut it by themselves when you get a predator out there 200 yrds and cant hit them .when i sighted mine at 25 or 50 yrds they didnt work much past 100 . and then you get the days when you see sompthing out there and need more power to take a look . For me it was just not working with anything less then a 2.5x10 or a 3x9 even though most of my coyotes are killed at 100 yrds or less .I should have kept the Tasco and the scope mount, that combo was awsome with close in runners when combined with a scope it covered all the bases . . also a washtonian, on the east side ya know .

Yeah you've identified the dilema Jerry. It seems that the solution for many is to scope the AR and bring a shotgun along for the fast/close shooting should that present itself. I have a scope I'm comfortable with. I have a shotgun I could bring. I don't like the idea of lugging another thing like a shotgun along to a stand.

So then I see the EOTech and its relatives and I get to thinking...

my brother has the milletton his AR. I have shot it a bunch and its good for up close 100yrd max. The problem I have with it is that it makes shot place ment a little harder then a regular scope. Just yesterday he went and bought a VX-III 2.5 x8 for his AR to replace the Millett. If it was 100yrds and less it works great but after that its down hill for the millet.

I use Aimpoint Comp M2's and they work great. EOTech's are awesome and I would get one in a snap if I could afford another Dot sight.

Look at a US Optics SN4s.

True 1-4x magnification and a first focal plane reticle. Gives you the best of both worlds (red dot w.magnifier and variable) in one package.

On 1X, the SN4s works better at the "red dot" role than my Aimpoint Comp M2, thanks to it's SUPER glass. Crank it up to 4X and the crisp FFP reticle increases in size to allow for accurate shot placement out to at least 300yds on a yote sized target. No B.S...

Add to that choice of illumination, spot on windage & elevation turrets & an ultra rugged body and you've got ONE HECK OF AN OPTIC...

You'll pay handsomely for it, but it ain't much more than shelling out for a high dollar red dot (EOtech, AIMpoint) + magnifier, and mounts for both...

Back