Hunting Packs. Primos Predator Vest? Blacks Creek Predator Paradise?

Hutch218

I am thinking about trying a different pack for those times when I'll be out in the field for long periods of time. If I'm not far from the truck and don't plan on being out long then I try to just leave the pack in the truck and stuff my pockets, but if I'm gonna be out at least half a day or all day then I need a pack. I have been using a Camelbak hunting pack and its pretty good, about the right size but I think I want to find something that doesn't have 2 shoulder straps. A regular backpack is nice for hiking, but its a pain when you're also toting a rifle and I can't shoot with the pack on. The two solutions that look the best are the Blacks Creek Predator Paradise and the Primos Predator Vest. I'm leaning more towards the Blacks Creek pack because I'm kinda skeptical about a vest and I'm not sure that it has enough storage capacity for an all-day hunt but I'm not sure it may be just what I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with either of these? How do you like them compared to a regular pack? My main issue with a regular pack is just carrying a rifle with it, and I have an AR that I have been just using a regular sling with but plan on getting a side-mount sling and carrying it across my chest or back so I definitely couldn't do that with a regular pack.

Thanks,
Matt

Quote:
I have an AR that I have been just using a regular sling with but plan on getting a side-mount sling and carrying it across my chest or back so I definitely couldn't do that with a regular pack.

I'm doing that, and it's working okay for the Army and Marines. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

What problem are you running into?

I'd just rather have a side-mount sling with QD sling swivels and I have seen a couple AR's with side-mounted slings and I think they would be more comfortable to carry because when I carry mine normally the pistol grip and magazine get kind of annoying. I have seen more Army soldiers and Marines with single-point slings and side-mounted slings than I have with regular bottom-mounted slings. Come to think of it, I don't know any soldiers that use regular slings. But then again I am not a soldier, its just my personal preference.

I recently picked up a single strap tool bag. It was in the tool section. It isnt camo and it is a little loud in the brush. I find it much easier to carry and everything is easily accessible with all the little pockets and pouches. Holds my caller and Mojo Critter in the main pouch and everything else in the pockets. It is working good for me and only cost about $25. It is also the right shape to lean against so I dont have to have a back rest or carry a chair.

This is not the one I have but is similar

Tool Bag

Last edited:
i bought a VERY nice vest from gander mountain for 49 bucks. Its got a strapped on seat, and about 10 pockets. Also a big pocket in the back, and a foam pad for your back/neck up against a tree.

I just picked up a Crooked Horn Master Guide II for a discounted price this last weekend. You can strap your gun right to it. Seems like a good pack.

I just received my Blacks Creek Predator Paradise pack today. This pack is very well made. I loaded my normal calling gear into the pack and it is very comfortable to wear and walk with. I will try it out in the field this week-end and report more info...
Also this pack has much more room in it than I thought it would. The main compartment alone will hold my Fury, J.I.B., remote and then some.. Only 15 more pockets to fill up!!!!

I agree about the pack sometimes being to much. I have a local army surplus store i like to shop at to support the small business man. Any way, last year i picked up a very nice pack, the size of a cammell back but it expands out ward and can hold a lot of gear, its a great all day pack. This year I picked up a cammo shooters bag from the same place. It was designed for competition shooters. has one main compartment designed for ammo, ear muffs and spent shells, 2 side pouched for handguns and 6 smaller snap closed pouches for AR mags. Has 2 carry handles and a built in shoulder strap. The main compartment also has a very heavy duty brass zipper. I use the main compartment for my minaske M1 and other bulky items, the 2 pistol pouches for hand calls and the 6 outside pouches for items that don't need to be gotten to right away. It is in the new army digital cammo, but the had OD green as well as woodland cammo. I picked the digital for the snow. I cut the brass zipper pull off, to noisy, and replaced with 550 cord. It is heavy canvass and for 25.00 I thought it was a good deal.

uncle steve

where did you get that shooting bag? Can they be ordered online or is there at the least a name for it? That looks like a great tool for the money to have for goign to the range and keeping all your shooting stuff handy! I may have to look into it.

The only thing that I worry about with a sling type bag is that some places I hunt require a lot of walking, if I'm hunting the whole day I might walk around 10 miles throughout the day so I don't know if a sling-style bag would be best for me. After thinking about it, I don't think a vest would be right either because I don't like having all my stuff spread out and I don't think a vest has enough storage for a full day of hunting. Walking a lot is where my backpack is nice, and the only problem with it is that it has two shoulder straps. My question now is pretty much just regarding the Blacks Creek Predator Paradise. If it carries like a backpack despite having only one shoulder strap then it would be perfect for me, so for any of you that have one, how does it compare to a regular backpack as far as hiking comfort?

Thanks,
Matt

Quote:
I am thinking about trying a different pack for those times when I'll be out in the field for long periods of time. If I'm not far from the truck and don't plan on being out long then I try to just leave the pack in the truck and stuff my pockets, but if I'm gonna be out at least half a day or all day then I need a pack. I have been using a Camelbak hunting pack and its pretty good, about the right size but I think I want to find something that doesn't have 2 shoulder straps. A regular backpack is nice for hiking, but its a pain when you're also toting a rifle and I can't shoot with the pack on. The two solutions that look the best are the Blacks Creek Predator Paradise and the Primos Predator Vest. I'm leaning more towards the Blacks Creek pack because I'm kinda skeptical about a vest and I'm not sure that it has enough storage capacity for an all-day hunt but I'm not sure it may be just what I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with either of these? How do you like them compared to a regular pack? My main issue with a regular pack is just carrying a rifle with it, and I have an AR that I have been just using a regular sling with but plan on getting a side-mount sling and carrying it across my chest or back so I definitely couldn't do that with a regular pack.

Thanks,
Matt

I'm going to save up for a Just One backpack.
When riding my mountain bike into many of my hunting areas, I will really appreciate the ability to carry my rifle this way. Probably the version in the second link.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Just%20One.htm

http://eberlestock.com/Merchant2/merchan...ategory_Code=BP

http://eberlestock.com/Merchant2/merchan...ategory_Code=BP

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd just rather have a side-mount sling with QD sling swivels and I have seen a couple AR's with side-mounted slings and I think they would be more comfortable to carry because when I carry mine normally the pistol grip and magazine get kind of annoying.

I guess I misread what you were saying. I'm using a side-mount sling, which is what I was saying was "working for me".

Here, this is an idea:

017.jpg

Since I've gotten the Blacks Creek Predator Paradise a few months ago I got to use it on several all day hunts as well as a bunch of shorter outings.

I find it carries and sets up pretty much like a backpack if you want it to, but it's slightly more inclined to carry the weight on the hips, as a good pack should.?
The weight is lower, thus not hi centered as much as a regular pack.

I have a bad back and wanted something not as straining on the shoulders, and while plenty of good packs have hip belt suspension, it really is only a larger regular pack that is long enough for me to gain that benifit. A "day pack" size pack was just too short to utilize the hips as I wanted.

This pack can be adjusted high or lower to ride the hips more. The single shoulder strap can be switched sides and adjusted tight or loose depending how I wanted the weight divided. I really liked it best when set-up to have the shoulder strap loose during upright walking(not weight bearing), but as soon as I bent over it automatically took up the strain and helped balance evenly. This made going uphill or downhill more secure with the weight not moving around, and the bulk still on my hips.

It has a good amount of room for a days outing carrying 1 big meal and snacks along with water. Calls are taken care of neatly, but not the most accesable in quick time.

The seat is BIG, thick and comfy, meant to be oversize and it is. Can't cross a barbwire fence with that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif hehe
But it does keep you off the snow nice.

Lots of places to strap extras on, like a bipod/shooting sticks, spotting scope, your jacket -once it warms up.

I made myself a kifaru-Gunbearer type strap system that hangs under the shoulder strap side and works quite well for hiking farther. Hunting shorter with my regular rifle strap on the opposite shoulder worked as normal.

It's also solid. Built heavy duty using quality materials it seems to me. The material is thick, the straps are wide and there are a lot of straps/buckles for adjusting.

No, I don't work for them, I just thought it was a decent product that worked well for me.

HTH

+1 on badlands.

Not sure what model I have (no number on it), but it has huge capacity and a ton of QR cinch down thingys. I got it on sale at Sportsman's this time of year or so last year.

I strap my stadium seat/back to it and my ghillie bag. Still working out how to strap the Alps chair to it, but it can be done. It carries way more than I need to bring and it is overengineered for comfort and long hauls.

With an AR I know what you mean about the mag and pistol grip getting annoying from time to time. I have a traditional sling, so I'm not sure what to tell you about that. I like the look of evil's sling though.

That's a Blueforce Vickers sling with all the QD stuff removed. The front mount point is a KNS takedown pin/QD swivel. It keeps all the sling tension on the lower and no tension on the upper. That's working very well, trust me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I like carrying in the "ready position", and I can use both hands without the rifle beating into my knees, etc.
Just be aware you can't reverse that takedown pin and use it "lefty", and you need to unscrew the QD swivel instead of pushing it through when you separate upper/lower (takes about 15 seconds).

Back