Nikon vs. Nikon????

I need help choosing the right Nikon scope for my Savage 16BR 22-250. I hunt flat open to hills for Coyotes. I've narrowed it down to 2,both Nikon Monarchs with the Nikoplex reticle. One is the 2.5x10x42 no side focus the other is the 3x12x42 with side focus.Also is this side focus important? How do you determine what height of rings you need.I want the scope as close to the barrel as possible.Any ring and 2 piece base brand suggestions??Thanks John

Some of the Savage owners might can help you with the rings.

As for the scope...go with the 3-12 with the side focus.

The Nikon Monarch is a fine scope, either of those would serve you well. I don't normally use scopes big enough to have/need AO for hunting. I have used them for dogtown & target shooting & get by fine without side focus. I will agree side focus would be easier to adjust, but that feature adds to the price.

I am partial to Warne bases & maxima rings for a modest cost/ no nonsense set-up. It would most likely take medium height rings. Some sites/catalogs will list ring heights required for specific scopes on different guns. Low to the bore is good but you also have to move the bolt,maybe with gloves on & get at the ejection port.

The correction can make or break long range hits on small critters , especially from awkard shooting positions. I prefer side focus over adjustable objectives, easier/quicker to use while behind the rifle and better resistance to water/dust/etc imo. If you don't understand how big of a deal it is, take a non adjustable scope, sight in on something about 400 yards away and move your head side/side & up/down while focused on the reticle and see how far the crosshairs move around.

I have a Monarch with objective AO adjustment, and I wish I had the side adjustment. It's fine to reach up and crank it while target shooting, but in a hunting situation it just not practical to do that.

Back