18 or 22 inch barrel?

hunterdau2

Planning on picking up a R15 and wondered what everyone was using the 18 or 22in barrels? Any major velocity loss with the 18in?
I have been hunting varying terrain and tend to walk a lot to get away from the roads and was leaning toward the 18in barrel in 223.

Of course there will be some velocity loss with the shorter tube, but in a hunting situation you'll never know the difference. And the handling difference is very dramatic.

Get the 18.

I just picked up a VTR Carbine 18. I Bobcat hunt and do a lot of hiking in cedar swamp areas in Northern Michigan.
I like how lite weight it is, compact and shoots a nice flat round.

18 has my vote.

I have two AR-15's. One has a 24" barrel and the other as a 16" barrel. If I ever sell one of them, you can bet it will be the short tubed one! That thing is not fun to shoot even when wearing muffs. It seems to shoot fairy well, but not as good as my longer barreled one does.

The 16" is a easier to tote, but sure harder to shoot compared to the 24 incher.

Hunterdau2: this depends on what you are going to do with the gun. If it was going to be used always at the range, I'd go 24". A field gun in open country with some hills used mainly on coyotes, 22". A field gun used for praire dogs, 24". A field gun used in rough country with shots mainly under 200 yds, a 16" or 18" barrel. Last november I was on a deer hunt with a 24" ar. I stuck the barrel in the dirt twice because my sling carries the ar with the muzzle down. I hope you see my logic so it will help you decide.

Given the two choices you have, take the 18" and enjoy it. It should carry easier and be lighter than the 22" rifle. The 18" is also a plus in tight conditions. I prefer the 16" LW AR that I built just for my own predator hunting needs. MI VHNTR

I just picked up one of the new manufacter 16 inch pencil barrels with a chrome lined 1 in 9 twist rate.Talk about light weight! Im loveing it so far!

Here is another vote for the 18 inch barrel. It's nice and light, and points quick. If I thought I were going to be doing a lot of long range shooting I would go with the 22 incher. But in my experience, predators usually come close enough to make the short barrel advantageous.

I've taken my 18" R-15 out shooting a few times now, under
8# scoped and balanced is great, groups at 200yards even
in strong winds we have had lately are under 2.5".

18" is my vote, I've owned plenty of 24" and 26" heavy/bull
barreled 223 bolt guns and this is right in that accuracy
even so light.

Back