Best powder for .308 win

That is still a loaded question, some important variables are, what sort of tempratures will it be used in? What sort of shooting? Hunting or benchrest compitition? What ranges? What barrel length rifle?
My favorites are H-4198, IMR 3031 and Varget. But they are used in differant applications.

I would be hunting deer and pigs, in a wide temp 30-100 degree temps. out of my Rem 700 Classic.[24" bbl]. I already use 45.0gr of 4064 w/150gr Hornadys. I`m fairly happy with that load; but havn`t tried any NEW powders in years. any out there that meters better or not temp sensitive either.?
I also reload for .223 w/55gr v-max. I use H335 powder for that load.Many people suggest benchmark. I may try some of that. Is there a powder that works EXCELENT in both?

IMR 4895 or W748. I don't consider them the "best", but they're working okay for me.
I use the W748 in .223, also. It meters very well, if that's what you're looking to accomplish.

My Rem 700 in .308 LOVES 46.5gr Varget with 150gr bullets and GM210M primers. I'm shooting Hornady Interlocks now, but had the same results with 2 other bullets. I had pretty good luck with Varget in the 223 as well, with 60gr Sierra Varminters, but it shot a little better with Benchmark.

Thanks; looks like I will have to try some Varget, and some Benchrest. Are they both temp insensitive? and short grained?

I've never used Varget, but the number of people recommending it here makes me think I should.
Now if I can find a can of it in a store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

The varget is from hodgon's extreme temperature line. It does very well in places where temperature could change quick. However, it is a tube like powder. If your doing single stage reloading you should be fine. Doesn't go too well with progressive.

Both Varget and Benchrest are Hogdons "extreme" temp insensitive powders, and are the short stick type. I haven't loaded .308 with Benchrest yet but I have loaded both .308 amd .223 with Hogdon BLC2 and like that alot too.

Quote:
If your doing single stage reloading you should be fine.

Yeah, I use a lot of IMRs and it's single-stage. I'm used to crunching those sticks. I don't push the envelope anyway, I'm at least a grain off the chart "max" load recommendation.

Thanks for the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Both Varget and Benchrest are Hogdons "extreme" temp insensitive powders, and are the short stick type. I haven't loaded .308 with Benchrest yet but I have loaded both .308 amd .223 with Hogdon BLC2 and like that alot too.

I am getting excellent results from Benchmark. So far only lighter bullets but 1 load is really accurate 46.5grs Benchmarh with a 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Varget would be my first choice, IMR-4064 a very close second, and RE-15 an excellent third choice.

Back