Fox around fly pen

misterfuzzer

I have a friend that raises pheasants and he wants me to get rid of the fox that have a den within 100 yards of his fly pen. I have never trapped before, but I have alot of traps from when my Dad trapped. I was thinking of using a piece of bacon or some tuna to place by the trap next to the fly pen. The fox walk around the fly pen EVERY night. They are used to the smell of people and activity. Would this setup work?

The bait will likely work, but if you're just planning to put the trap on the ground I doubt you'll get them unless you're lucky. I'd use a dirthole set. You can google it to see how they're made. If you can't find anything let me know and I'll attempt to explain it.

Usually just a few inches are frozen and you can still put in a dirt hole. For the trap bed, I have a hammer that has a digging claw welded on one side of it. I put out 30 sets this weekend and the ground is definitely frozen here, but only about 2.5 inches down and I hit soft dirt. Unfortunately, I woke up to about 6 inches of snow this morning and more on the way. I'll have to go clean those sets off tomorrow.

Back