You are only as good as your glass.

Spinner88

Thats what I have always heard when purchasing a scope.I have a new Rock River AR in 223 and have been trying to decide what scope would be best. This scope would be used for mainly yotes and fox with a yearly trip for prarie dogs. I cant really justify a real expensive scope for it at this time but want a scope in the 6X18 range. My main problem is the cheaper scopes like the BSA and Cabelas Tactical have turrets for the 223. These scopes are inepensive in price but have the features I want. To get them in a Leupold will cost you 10x as much I am leaning toward a Bushnell elite 3200 5x15 as a compromise but would consider a Burris but they are a bit more expensive. With all that being said what is the best mid priced scope you would put on this gun.( 500-600$) Thanks

The problem you face is that a scope for prarie dogs is not very practical for calling in predators. They are sneaky and come in fast and suddenly. Sometimes they are 10 yards away from you before you see them. Even if you have that scoped cranked down to 6x it will be too much magnification at close ranges...trust me, I've been there. I have a Nikon 6-18 on my CZ527-204...it is great for prarie dogs but not ideal for predators. Don't get me wrong, it will work, but not my first choice.

I'd recommend something beginning in the 3-4 power range. This is much more conducive to a calling rifle.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum

If you have 5 to 6 bills to spend, spend it all on good glass, stay far away from the cheap crap like BSA and the like.....and it dont matter if they have the optons you want. What you really want is clear glass you can see thru, a scope that will last for years, and a scope with a warranty incase you ever have to use it. Buy once....cry once!

"You are only as good as your glass"
In a coyote calling rifle, no not really. You can get them in close enough to hit them with a shotgun.

For prairie dogs I think your statement hold more water. Targets are small, really small at longer ranges, great glass is a must IMHO. You cant hit it if you cant see it.

I would look at the Nikon Monarch's, Bushnell 4200, before the Burris.... and I used to be a Burris guy.

I just researched the whole gammot and ended up with a Nikon Monarch which wasn't even up for consideration when I began...could not be happier

I'd go Elite 6500 2.5-16x 42mm or 50mm
---OR-----
A 3x9 in $200 range, Burris, Nikon, Elite 3200 for calling and a fixed 24x for prairie dogs like a Weaver T-Series or similar.

Either route will be in the $600 neighborhood.

peace.
unloaded

Fixed 24x scope would be a huge mistake on a prairie dog gun. The mirage in the heat of the day would almost make it useless. Your milage may very, but I would never do it.

If you're looking for an effective, inexpensive scope that looks nice on a flattop, be sure to check out Burris' Timberline series. They're compact w/ generous eye relief. The ballistic plex (IMO) is a very useful tool once you've spent the time at the range to calibrate to your specific load. I have a 2-7X26mm on my carbine that fits my needs perfectly.

As Furhunter said, you'll have a hard time finding glass that will properly suit both your calling needs and PD shooting. Nikon and Bushnell are also excellent choices in your price range.

Thanks guys, I can see now that it might take different scopes to do what I want.I might have to lower my magnification to get a scope that will work for me 95% of the time and maybe make due for the little dogs and limit my shot distances somewhat. A 4x12 or 16 will me give plenty of targets. Thanks again, Spinner

I've got a couple 4.5x16 on my ar's and they have been great on yotes and also on dogs. Unless you are wanting to take 6-900yd shots. I have a couple of the bsa on two bolt guns and after looking through the burris on the other guns that I have. I would say don't blow your money on the cheap stuff. Spend a little more and get some better glass.

dont be afraid to check out the Nikon Buckmasters line of scopes, very good quality glass in my opinon ive got 2 and havnt had a fit yet, very good bang for your buck.

I agree with unloaded. I have the Bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16. Never hunted pd with it, but the magnification range seems about perfect for a duel use scope. I really like it and got it for around $600 with shipping. Good luck

hi there, i don't mean to barge in but i'd like to say i purchased a ncstar 6x24x50 at a gun show for right around 130.00 . I know people say spend as much on your optics as you do your gun your putting it on but I thought I would give it a try .I have been looking at them for about 3 to4 years now and they seem to be pretty darn good. life time warrenty yousend it in with 10.00 and they will fix it or replace it. I don't know how good they stand behind this as i haven't had any problems yet.
Has any one else tried these?

Thank you all, I have purchased a scope that should do all I need it to do. I appreciate all the insight form your years of experience. I settle on a Nikon Monark 4x16 with Mil dot reticle. It should be here by 1/12 just in time for the really cold front coming thru here. Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I agree, your the only one that knows the range you will be shooting, but a 6x plus is going to be pretty tight if you get something in close. I have two ar's one set up for long range and another for close quarters. Dont like shotguns! The long range is a Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5 to 12 with turrets. Its taken shots out to 500 hundred plus with no problems. My other one is a shorter compact AR with a aim point. That thing is a blast when you get in close to targets. Plus its nice cause you get to shoot with both eyes open.Helps to see where the varmit is running to instead of closing one eye and following it. Nikon

Quote:
I just researched the whole gammot and ended up with a Nikon Monarch which wasn't even up for consideration when I began...could not be happier

Good choice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back