Savage Pred./ Need some Advise

pyscodog

Got a new Sav. Pred. in 223 and it doesn't seem to group quite like I think it should. The barrel was rubbing the forend on the left side when I got it, so I releived that area. I've tried 50 gr. V-Max, 52 gr. Bergers and some 55 gr. Noslers. All shot about an inch, nothing better. With a 1-9 twist, I was wondering if I need to go heavier? I have been using Varget, Benchmark and H-335 powders. I've only got about 70 rounds down the tube, but have'nt been to impressed yet. Is it to soon to pass judgement, or should I settle for one inch groups? I relize one inch groups are well within minute of yote, but was really wanting tighter groups. Any suggestions? Almost forgot, I about .005 of the lands.

Thanks-Pyscodog

Try seating you're bullet's a little further out..

I know lot's "o" guys like bullet's right @ the land's & that's probably ok..I've found pretty good accuracy further out that that.try .020 back & back off about 5% from a max load & adjust as you see fit.One load that's worked for two different 223's for me is 23.0 of Benchmark & 55 gr Nosler's that's a starting load..Max is 25.0 grain's,In both case's bullet's were backed off about .020..& both rifle's a Rem 700 & CZ 527 would produce 1" 10-shot group's.

JMO..

Dave, I don't know if he edited it after you replied, but he's already just .005 off the lands. That's pretty darn close to kissing them already. Sounds like you've got all the right powders. Have you worked up loads with all three powders, starting light and working to max, and still couldn't get better than 1"? 3 shot or 5 shot groups? My goto .223 load is 26.5 H-335 with a Nosler 50g BT. It's a little warm so start low and work to it. Good luck.

Nosler and V-Max didn't shoot well out of my Savage Predator 22-250. Sierra GameKing HPBT in 55 grainers and 50 gr Blitz and CT 55 gr Ballistic tip boattails shot well with Varget.

First make sure you have a couple hundred rounds and a few good cleanings in there.

After that try some WW 748, and a 60 grain Nosler BT. My Savage always shot good with most loads, but got crazy accurate with some breaking in and the 60 grain Nosler.

An inch from an off the shelf gun is pretty good, but you can prolly do better with some load tinkering. Kinda depends what your barrel wants, but definately grab som WW 748 no matter what.

pysco..I forgot to mention give that barrel a real good scubbin..In my opinion savage barrel's can foul up with copper pretty quick..Try Cr-10 or Sweet's 7.62 I use Hoppe's for carbon.

O'h when i mentioned seating the bullet's farther out..I meant further away from the land's..Sometime's some bullet jump is good..

A 1 inch group is not bad at all, double check your twist, by looking in the savage cat they list the 223 at either 1-7 or 1-11 twist rates, they do list the 22-250 at 1-9.

My 12FV in 223 likes 23gr of IMR 3031 pushing a 52gr BTHP. It shoots little bug holes at 100 yards out. 24gr opened it up to 1.5" though. Yotehunter, Savage 223s are 1:9, 22-250s are 1:12. The 223 LRPV is a 1:7 though.

I have some 75gr Hornady BTHPs loaded up to try out later this week. It seems to shoot the 52s just fine though.

I'm pretty sure that's a misprint a 22/250 with a 1-9 twist in a factory rig is smokin hot !!

Somebody here @ one time called Savage & again i'm pretty sure it's a "typo"

I agree an 1" group ain't shabby..I'm pretty sure Savage's should shoot better than that though.So i've heard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Savage Pedator is 1 in 9 223, and 12 twist in 250.....

Oh ya, don't forget the 748 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I saw a recent write up in the Petersons Hunter pub on it- sounds like a nice rig- I was concerned with the printed intel on the twists- that did not make sense to twist it 1:7- so hopefully that also was a mis-print. a 1:7 would take the heavy bullets 77-90 gr weights.

Like everyone said you have to find that pet load for that rifle- the seating depth, favored powder and weights, and bullet- sometimes that will take a few weeks worth of loading- keep a log- start low work up- once you find the bullet weight and seating depth- work out powders. Sounds like you are on the right track- please keep us posted- I just recommended the Sav Pred in 22-250 to my partner. THX JHG

Thanks folks-
I did the break-in stuff. Shoot clean, shoot clean untill I had 20 rounds thru it. Then 3 shot groups about 5 times. The most its seen now is 20 rounds then clean. I use Sweets and also Hoppe's bench rest. Never, never overheat the barrel. I think I'm doing most of it right, just have'nt found the right pill. I got some 748, but hav'nt tried it yet. I loaded 20 rounds tonite but have to wait till I get some range time. Four groups of 5 each, .005, .010, .015, and .020 off the lands with 25.3 grains of 335 and a 55 grain V-Max. I'll see what happens with them. Thanks again.

Pyscodog

I have a Savage 12 FV in .223 and the 60 grain V-Max over 25 grains of Varget is the ticket for this rifle. I seat the bullet to match the COAL in the book.

The only mod to the rifle is it sets in a B&C stock.

Make sure your action/stock screws and scope are good and snug. I don't remember if my predator came with a cheap Simmons scope on it or not, if it did, i'd loose it and upgrade. I set my accu-trigger to its lowest settings. My .223 predator prints one hole groups with the 68 gr Seirra Matchkings with Varget powder and does less then an inch with the little 40 gr Blitzkings and H335. I hope you can get your rifle working, it should do better then you indicated

Quote:
I have a Savage 12 FV in .223 and the 60 grain V-Max over 25 grains of Varget is the ticket for this rifle. I seat the bullet to match the COAL in the book.

The only mod to the rifle is it sets in a B&C stock.

I'm shooting the 60 gr v-max over varget in my 1-9 AR, and it shoots awesome. I'd try the 60's and bet you'll be happy.

Why are you doing seating depth tests before finding an accurate powder load? Seating depth is more of a fine-tuning technique, the powder charge is what really causes the increase/decrease in accuracy. If the twist can stabilize a bullet, provided the QC on said bullet is sound, then it is all about powder charge.

With shorter range loading the trick is to get the rippling vibration caused by the explosion in the chamber to be as far from the muzzle as possible. If the ripple is at the muzzle, the bullet is thrown fairly randomly as it exits. If the ripple is at the chamber, the bullet exits the muzzle square to the crown. Ladder testing essentially finds the powder charge to make that happen. Long range loading cares more about velocity consistency, long range being 500+ yards.

Seating depth alters the pressures generated and the speed that the bullet travels down the barrel ever so slightly. It also helps line the bullet up straight with the rifling in a chamber with a sloppy neck.

A Savage rifle that won't shoot under an inch@100yds right outa the box? I thought everything on the internet was true!
This can't be.Every one knows these Savages are the best thing going!

The 2 - .223's below like the W-748 and the 60 Grn V-max's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif The P-dogs don't care for it much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's a misprint a 22/250 with a 1-9 twist in a factory rig is smokin hot !!

Somebody here @ one time called Savage & again i'm pretty sure it's a "typo"

I agree an 1" group ain't shabby..I'm pretty sure Savage's should shoot better than that though.So i've heard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The standard Savage rifles in 22-250 come with a 1-12 twist.

The Long Range Precision Vaminter can be ordered with an optional 1-9 twist in the 22-250. I think this is also the only rifle that comes with the Accu-trigger that will go down to 6oz.

Back