22-250 tc encore vs savage -mdl 12

nighttrain

Hi all, I'm looking for some information/opinions I'm going to be getting a new varmint gun in 22-250 and was thinking a TC Encore , but i haven't seen to many post' on how great the accuracy is with the encore . The Savage -12 every one raves about . Is the encore just not a very popular gun for long rang shooting ?

I have an encore muzzleloader, I also have a 308 pistol barrel for it. It is amazingly accurate. T/C makes some very high quality accurate stuff. But for me I have always preferred bolt actions in my rifles. I think that would be the question you should answer. Which do you prefer? They will both be more accurate than most people can shoot. One thing I would note, the savage probably has a better trigger. Good luck!

Jared

The Encore's just don't seem very popular compared to bolt rifle's @ the same time the encore's almost seem to have a "cult" like following.I've owned a few NEF break open single shot's never an encore though.I kinda like the simplicity of the "break open's" Many also like the concept of being able to swap out barrel's.So if you got the 22/250 you could also buy let's say a 270 barrel & have a deer rig.

I've played with the idea of an encore "yet" for the price they command i Dunno ??

I have a encore in 50 cal. muzzle loader and a 223 topped with nikon 5.5x16.5. Both barrels are very accurate. 22-250
would also shot very will.

I have 2 T/C Encore rifles a 25-06 and a 7mm-08 both have 28" barrels. The 28" barrel will give you better velocity than a 22", 24" or a 26" barrel. I have a.45cal muzzleloader barrel that will change out easy. I use my 25-06 right now on yotes(sierra 100gr. gameking spitzer BT) but, I plan on getting a .243 28" barrel soon for my T/C to use on yotes. My T/C Encores are very accurate 3 shot groups at 100yrds. clover leaf that you can cover with a dime!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The T/C Encore has around 92 barrels you can buy for you frame. Thats the good thing about the Encore, Buy one set-up(one gun) and you could end up with 92 guns at 1/2 price per gun. Don't buy the ProHunter Frame, Buy The Encore frame if you buy one. You can buy the ProHunter Barrels or better yet check ot the Bergara T/C Barrel great barrels for a good price!! I have the ProHunter Fluted Barrels and they cool down fast.

You have a tough question. IMO it really depends on how you will be using the rifle, and exactly what you will be hunting.

I own both of the rifles you are talking about.

The Encore is a lighter, faster handling rifle. The Savage will be pretty much a fixed position rifle. So what type of hunter are you??

Accuracy should be determined by how well you shoot your particular firearm in the hunting situation you will be shooting in.

The Savage may shoot a bit better from sand bags off of a bench. But for me, in a hunting situation, I shoot my Encore more "Accurately".

Itty Bitty groups at 100 yards are nice. However I buy a firearm for how it will perform in the field, not off the bench. Tom.

On average everyone I know has had better luck with Savages.
I know of several Encores that have been sent back to T/C. Mine has been sent back 4 times. I have not shot it since I got it back. I am tired of messing with it.

I've Killed 16 wild hog as far out as 400 yds. in fornt of my house with my T/C Encore 7mm-08 and The 25-06 has put down over 30+ yotes as far out as 331 yds.(steped off) and 4 deer with no problems the last couple years since I bought the guns. I would say they perform pretty well in the field! But buy what fells good to you. My opion you wouldn't go wrong with either one. You just pick the one that fills right for you!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I HAVE THE 17HMR- 22-250- 243- BARREL FOR MY ENCORE PROHUNTER AND I LOVE THE GUN 22-250 AND 243 WILL BOTH SHOT 3/4 GROUP AT 100 YARDS OFF THE BENCH AND WITH HAND LOADS I HAVE HAD THEM SHOT 1/2 INCH GROUPS AT 100 YARDS BUY ONE YOU LOVE IT

thanks for the information every one , i still can't make up my mind as to what to buy , I'm trying to convince the wife that i need both , but she's not going for that one the local gun shops are all but cleaned out . i have to wait till they stock up again

Go Encore one rifle and buy different barrels as you go instead of buying more rifles for more. I have a Encore with Prohunter thumb hole stock and a 204 ruger barrel and a 300wm barrel. Both are great. Shoot the 300wm today after 12 rounds and no pain at all. LOL

I love my Encore 22-250 with factory loads i can shoot 1"-10 shoot groups at 150 yards off the bench. It has killed many yotes over the last 3 years and i like the fact that i can change out barrels in a few minutes...

I have shot TC's for years.

There are a couple of issues with any type of break open action which is a three piece type of affair, butt stock, action, and forearm. How all three of these pieces go together can make for one heck of a night mare if something is hay wire.

Hinge pin on TC's are an issue. They make over size hinge pins to take out the slop.

Frames stretch on the TC's during recoil, and you can not shoot extremely hot loads on TC's without issue of case stretching.

Lock up on TC's is critical from shot to shot, full length sizing is required in order to ensure that the gun will close. Otherwise, you will be trying to full length size the case by closing the action...been there done that...cracked a custom stock.

As you can see, The love affair with the TC is somewhat of an addiction for some of us...jump on in anytime you are ready.

A bolt action eliminates a lot of the BS as long as you don't want some flimsy plastic stock on it...get the wood stock even if it looks plain jane.

I shoot the TC old frames which have easy triggers to tweek. The new Encore's triggers are horrible to me, Savage Accu trigger has got it beat hands down.

I first bought a 204 barrel for my encore and liked the accuracy I was getting(around 1/2-5/8"). But I kept reading about the Savages shooting teeny groups. I had owned a couple in deer calibers and liked them. I went out and got a 204 in a mod.12. It is very accurate. A couple of things I did to my encore to help me was a trigger job and a locker pin from E Author Brown Co.It now shoots 1/4 to 3/8" groups. The mod.12 is in no way a walk about rifle. They are both good rifles but the encore does require some work to get the most out of it.

I shoot a encore as well, I have a 204 pistol barrel I use for ground sqs., a 223 pistol barrel for the heck of it and use it sometimes for calling in tighter areas, and a 22-250 begara 26 full contour barrel I use for calling and long range yote shooting as well as crows. I'm gonna send my frame in and get a action and trigger job on it in the spring when it's not being used, I never did like the trigger but after using it a while ya get used to it, I'm still gonna have it worked over. Mike

VV I see Cabela's has the Bergara barrels in the new shooting cat. $50 cheaper for blued $100 cheaper for SS then the TC barrels.

I just finished my new Encore woodchuck rig in .223. I can't wait till the snow is gone. Heavy Bergara SS barrel, 8-32 Tru Glow with Dead Nutz rings and a Boyd's thumbhole stock (don't buy one of those unless you either want to feel like you're shouldering a 2x4 or don't mind spending several hours with a rasp and sand paper recontouring your "new" stock).

If you choose the Encore check out Mike Bellm's site. He is, well, fanatical about T/C's and really knows his stuff.

Back