cage trapping

bghunter119

i went out and checked my 2 cage traps close to the house. both traps had no bait in them, i have been using sardines and splitting them between traps,the wierd thing about this morning is that the cans and all are gone, doors still open, not fired, any ideas??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

happy new year to all

i was thinking that also, i have a neighbor down the street that feeds coons cat food /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I got a coon in a havahart trap a few days ago with a can of sardines. All I found of the can was a few shreds of metal in the cage and on the ground. But it was nowhere near enough to be the whole can. Only thing I can figure is he chewed it up and swallowed it. He really did a number on my trap too.

wire your cans in the back of your cage and make sure your traps are set on a hair trigger, but if they are small rodents, they will most likley squeeze thru the mesh of your cage.

it was just wierd, been trapping back there for a couple weeks now, been gettn coon and some possums, this was the first time i didnt have anything with the door open, even when i caught coons and possums, of coarse the can was empty but it was still in tact and in the cage, just seemed wierd, s ee what happens tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

had a cat, just the wrong kind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif, cans still home today, here is a photo of a coon i got last saturday, and my one and only cat

000_0351.jpg

000_0357-1.jpg

000_0355.jpg

are you using any visual attractor? a single feather or a piece of fur,(please check w/ your fish & wildlife to make sure it`s legal!!), hanging in the back of your cage w/ fishing line. some cats are more curious than hungry, and a little cat gland on that visual attractor will sometimes close the deal. remember, Curiosity Killed The Cat!!! also, be as sure as you can that you are on the cat`s IMMEDIATE travel route. they won`t normally go too far out of thier way. i`ve moved sets as little as 15ft and started connecting.

dig a hole in the ground about 2" deep... put your sardine can in the hole then set the trap over it... they can't get it that way..

I have had the pans/trigger freeze up on my live traps. The dirt I covered the floor with got real wet after a snow. Took alot of force on my part to spring them.
Just something else to consider.

It could be a pack rat. I have found pack rat nest in the woods with spoons, aluminum foil and sardine cans in them. They build a big nest about 4'x4'x2' tall some times bigger with twigs and they love shinny things. I like the suggestion a a few replys above to wire the cans or place in a dirt hole under the cage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

good luck and happy hunting!!

i use an old snare for a trigger, run it down the top to the door trigger, hang my bait in the loop, have a old piece of turkey from thanksgiving in the pic with the coon in the cage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif, you can see the snare by the coon in the pic above,i also hang old cds above the cage for a visual attractor,thanks for the input

Last edited:
You got a coon that knows what is going on do what some said above dig a little hole under the trap place the can there and stake the trap down or Bait the trap up and closed it wait a day or so then set the trap but this time flip the trap so the door is where the back of the trap was.

Back