good snow shoes?

kal52

Ok, so we have gotten pounded up here with snow lately and from the reports im getting from my cousin, whose land I hunt on, its DEEP.

So...anyone have any suggestions on a good starter set, ie not the most expensive brand on the rack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I think ill have to get a set for the weekend, so the sooner the better if I can have a day or so to practice with them on.

and any hints/tips when using them while hunting.

Thanks

Dave

Not sure what deep means to you but if its over 4' I would consider taking ski poles for balance and assistence getting up ie,. lay them in a cross in front of you for leaning on while getting back up after a fall.

No specific brands/models in mind but I would stay with a modern style if affordable and hard/ridgid bindings they will be much easier to negotiate steep and varied terrain. I have a traditional style military surplus shoe that is light wt. but too wide which causes my knees much pain after a few hours. Much depends on your weight and height also.

Here in Wyoming, snow shoes are a must!! Iused to use the old style wood and rawhide type, but like patncor says, they are much wider and harder to master. I now use a set of Tubbs that are alum. and plastic. Much lighter and easier to master. I found mine at a yard sale last summer for $25 but new ones cost about $180. The down side of the newer versions is that they have a smaller footprint and don't seem to keep you up on top as well, so make sure you get a pair that are big enough to hold you and your gear up out of the snow!!! I weigh 200+ and a pair of 36"ers do fine for me!!! I have noticed that a few companies make theirs with the footbed really far forward, so look for ones with the foot more in the middle of the shoe,so that your weight is on the whole shoe and not just on the toe!!! I also use a pair of old ski poles while "shoeing". Helps with the "I've fallen and can't get up" and they also can be used as shooting sticks!!!!! I hope this helps!!! Good luck!!

Hamer

Quote:
Here in Wyoming, snow shoes are a must!! Iused to use the old style wood and rawhide type, but like patncor says, they are much wider and harder to master. I now use a set of Tubbs that are alum. and plastic. Much lighter and easier to master. I found mine at a yard sale last summer for $25 but new ones cost about $180. The down side of the newer versions is that they have a smaller footprint and don't seem to keep you up on top as well, so make sure you get a pair that are big enough to hold you and your gear up out of the snow!!! I weigh 200+ and a pair of 36"ers do fine for me!!! I have noticed that a few companies make theirs with the footbed really far forward, so look for ones with the foot more in the middle of the shoe,so that your weight is on the whole shoe and not just on the toe!!! I also use a pair of old ski poles while "shoeing". Helps with the "I've fallen and can't get up" and they also can be used as shooting sticks!!!!! I hope this helps!!! Good luck!!

Hamer

You stole those shoes!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also own a pr of 36" Tubbs and they work great. I have seen some off brand at the local Walmart that look like they would work as well. Alum frame construction w/ poly webbing. If you think you'll use these shoes a lot and your life depends upon them, I'd spring for the Tubbs. If you'll use them a couple days a year and it's as much for convenience as necessity (not life/death situation if you break a binding) then I'd opt for a cheaper pair. Like Hamer said, stay away from the short, narrow tailed, binding forward shoes, they're made for running/recreational use, not for packing in deep powder.

Not sure if I got a good deal or not, but I picked up some Cabela outfitter shoes - the 9.5" x 36", poles and a bag - neither ever used - for $140 from a local guy. Cabelas has them for $160 + tax and the gas to get there - about 70 miles each way. I think I did alright.

Quote:
Not sure if I got a good deal or not, but I picked up some Cabela outfitter shoes - the 9.5" x 36", poles and a bag - neither ever used - for $140 from a local guy. Cabelas has them for $160 + tax and the gas to get there - about 70 miles each way. I think I did alright.

Sounds like you got a deal!!! shoes and poles!!!cool!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I bought some yukon charlies for $80 they might seem cheap but they have been excellent so far. Got them at cal ranch.

Tac20, I think you must be using the same kind I have w/coated SS cable weave super lt wt but they are wide enough to hurt my knees after awhile the only down side, good price too at 55.00 US. Kal52 try doing a search on ebay might find some yucon charlies for 100. or less?

Back