brass resized to far?

metalmangeler

I recently picked up a second .243 so decided to resize full length. I adjusted to die to contact the shell holder, resized about 70 cases and loaded a few, then tried feeding them into a rifle. It seems that my die is to short as it moved the shoulder back enough that the bolt face is not solid to the cartridge, to eject I need to use a cleaning rod, as the bolt is a push style and there was not enough pressure to engage the cartridge.
I don't know if the firing pin would make a solid strike or if it is out of reach. I don't know if it would be safe to fire form them with out a solid contact to the bolt face I plan to remain ignorant by not running that test.
The sizing die is pretty old (over 30 yrs) did they full length resize differently then? Did I make a mistake that is obvious to all but me? Is there a safe way to get the brass back or is that just an education cost? I assume that backing the die up should make it ok as it has worked fine before, or should I be moving on to a new one?
Thanks in advance for answers to some or all of these questions.

Quote:
I recently picked up a second .243 so decided to resize full length. I adjusted to die to contact the shell holder, resized about 70 cases and loaded a few, then tried feeding them into a rifle. It seems that my die is to short as it moved the shoulder back enough that the bolt face is not solid to the cartridge, to eject I need to use a cleaning rod, as the bolt is a push style and there was not enough pressure to engage the cartridge.
I don't know if the firing pin would make a solid strike or if it is out of reach. I don't know if it would be safe to fire form them with out a solid contact to the bolt face I plan to remain ignorant by not running that test.
The sizing die is pretty old (over 30 yrs) did they full length resize differently then? Did I make a mistake that is obvious to all but me? Is there a safe way to get the brass back or is that just an education cost? I assume that backing the die up should make it ok as it has worked fine before, or should I be moving on to a new one?
Thanks in advance for answers to some or all of these questions.

Something does not make sense... there is a "little" difference in FL dies, but not that much - maybe 7 or 9 thou - if your case shoulders are that far back, you have a BIG problem.

Hold a new FL sized and a old on next to each other and see if the shoulder looks too short - the shoulder would have to be set back ~1/10" to cause the problem you are discribing, and that is impossible.

Have you loaded with this die before,does the reloads work in your other 243.Are you able to try a factory round to see what happens.Whats the history on the rifle.

Catshooter I would like to be able to do the impossible however I think that it is more likely that I did the stupid.
Anyhow I measured one of the cases that I resized and am comparing it to a new straight from the bag Remington brass, from base to start of shoulder, 1.525/1.550. From the base to the start of the neck 1.748/1.798
I know that these are not really accurate measurements as I have to do them by eye rather than feeling them and my eyes are not what they used to be, however there is a definite difference. Not a 1/10 but it still seems pretty significant. New die time, or something that I am doing what is your guess?

Yottee The newly reloaded cartriges work (or don't work) the same in both rifles, I have used these dies before, and they seemed OK but I was only neck resizing. New factory ammo looks like it works in the new rifle however I have not tried it yet, partly due to the ammo I planned to break it in with is this that I just loaded.

It shouldnt hurt your break in if you clean between your groups of shots.Atlest you will find out if its the gun or not on how the factory loads work.Its not unheard of of bad chambers from the factory.Also we had a new 25-06 with a set of new redding dies,we couldnt get a fl sized shell to fit period,we sent the die back to redding and they sent us a new set with a note saying that the fl die was not finished out.Most manufactures warr.their dies for life.My uneducated guess would be one of these two problems.

I am unsure who made the dies I inherited them from my father who I expect got them in the 60's. They have no name on them just cartridge size. If we ever used them to FL resize it would have been in a Pacific C frame press. I am now using a RCBS press which is more solid and may have eliminated some movement, that would have kept things from getting to short? (just another guess on my part)

Back