6mmbr or 6.5x284???????

"My 6br's all have 1/14 twist barrels IMHO if that twist was right for 500/700 yd shooting why are they using VLD bullets/1/8 twist barrels for that yardage? You can get over on 6BR site and see result for the Hickory/egg shoots plus guns listed in "guns of week" and all are listed with VLD bullet 1/8 twist for the 6br."

Because of wind drift. The heavy VLD bullets are blown a lot less by the wind.

Jack

"My 6br's all have 1/14 twist barrels IMHO if that twist was right for 500/700 yd shooting why are they using VLD bullets/1/8 twist barrels for that yardage? You can get over on 6BR site and see result for the Hickory/egg shoots plus guns listed in "guns of week" and all are listed with VLD bullet 1/8 twist for the 6br."

Thats cause thme dudes is serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

If you want to win you take advantage of the best. A 14" twist at 500-700 yards is guaranteed to make you a looser.

300 yards or less a 14" is competitive, certainly not beyond that and not even at 300 yards in bad conditions.

Jack

Quote:
Quote:

If you want to win you take advantage of the best. A 14" twist at 500-700 yards is guaranteed to make you a looser.

300 yards or less a 14" is competitive, certainly not beyond that and not even at 300 yards in bad conditions.

Jack

Jack, I was wanting CatShooter to make a comment about shooting a 1/14 twist with 70gr bullets @ 700yds here is his quote "Realistically, I would not hesitate to use the 6mmBR on Woodchuck sized varmints at ~700yds with fragile bullets (V-Max and BlitzKing)... if the rifle was up to it."

I fully understand the difference in twist for the 6Br
guess I should have use the quote button for CatShooter statement. Sorry about that

Jack, I was wanting CatShooter to make a comment about shooting a 1/14 twist with 70gr bullets @ 700yds here is his quote "Realistically, I would not hesitate to use the 6mmBR on Woodchuck sized varmints at ~700yds with fragile bullets (V-Max and BlitzKing)... if the rifle was up to it."

I fully understand the difference in twist for the 6Br
guess I should have use the quote button for CatShooter statement. Sorry about that

I too am interested in any other opinions of using a 1 in 14 twist barrel with 65-70 gr. bullets at distances of 4-700 yds.

I know i won`t be setting world records with this combination, but is it feasable to give varmints a go at these distances with this twist/bullet combo.....

6mm AI seems to be quite a bit diffrent than a 6mmbr..........

But it was an interesting read none the less.....

Thanks.

Quote:

Jack

Last year at our local egg shoots, a shooter took 15 out of 15 "Grade A Jumbo eggs" at 500yds... and he walked home with the little statue.

He was shooting a 14" twist 6mmBR in a Savage action with 70gr Nosler BT's - is that being a "looser"?

My point about eggs was that the cartridge is accurate enough at long range. Sure, some folks shoot faster twists, but it is no guarantee of anything.

The thread started on "varmints"... If you have a good rig with a 14" twist, and know what you are doing, you can take woodchucks at 700yds on a fairly regular basis, and a 6x284 or a fast twist is no guarantee of a higher hit ratio.

The 6.5x284 IS a guarantee is a fairly short barrel life.

A 6mmBR barrel will last you for years of varmint shooting...

I too was stuck between the 6BR and 6.5x284. Better barrel life with the BR but 6.5x284 gets the nod at distance. No dispute each hold their own in the accuracy department. I did the research and decided to split the difference and build a 6.5x47 Lapua. Now I have to decide on the action, Surgeon or Stiller Predator?

Good luck with your gun build.

The 6.5x284 IS a guarantee is a fairly short barrel life.

A 6mmBR barrel will last you for years of varmint shooting...

I'll take the, "years of varmint shooting" over the 6.5X284 "barrel burner". Shooting Palma is one thing just like varmint shooting is it's own discipline.

I am quite fond of that little 6BR cartridge. I think the reduced recoil of the 6br would be easier to spot your long range shots through your scope. You would get less barrel heat. Reduced reloading costs- by far.

I competition I have seen 6br beat 6.5's at long range, because the 6br is an inherently more accurate cartridge.

But with your varminting bullets I don't see a major handi-cap accuracy wise at those distances. You may need a sighter or two on that mid range varmint, to scope out conditions, but you could walk it right in there.

If the majority of your shooting is going to be close anyways with occasional mid-long shots, the 6.5x284 is way overkill.

Quote:
Just giving another option.

I appriciate any and all opinions on this subject, i believe thats how edjucated decisions are made,by doing some research...

Thats why i`m looking to pick peoples brains for their knowledge on the subject, because i have no experience in this matter.....

Thanks to ALL who have given a responce...

Keep them coming....

Phil.

I have a 6.5-284 and though I have never shot any competition, and may never at my age, I just wanted one, soooooooooooooooooooo. It is a fun project, more accurate than me. I have acquired more Lapua and Norma brass to be fire 1 time than the life of the barrel. I started this a few years ago when the prices were very much lower than now.
My goal is to shoot 1000yds as good as possible at a target, for game I am working on a .338 for up to 500yd.
Jim

"Last year at our local egg shoots, a shooter took 15 out of 15 "Grade A Jumbo eggs" at 500yds... and he walked home with the little statue.

He was shooting a 14" twist 6mmBR in a Savage action with 70gr Nosler BT's - is that being a "looser"?"

That means nothing. Local match, might only have been 15-20 competitors and he may have been the only master.

Give equally skilled shooters the different barrels and the fast twist will always win. If absolutely perfect conditions they are about equally matched at best. Since "perfect conditions" are as rare as hens teeth, I will put my money on the fast twist barrel.

Jack

Quote:
"Last year at our local egg shoots, a shooter took 15 out of 15 "Grade A Jumbo eggs" at 500yds... and he walked home with the little statue.

He was shooting a 14" twist 6mmBR in a Savage action with 70gr Nosler BT's - is that being a "looser"?"

That means nothing. Local match, might only have been 15-20 competitors and he may have been the only master.

Give equally skilled shooters the different barrels and the fast twist will always win. If absolutely perfect conditions they are about equally matched at best. Since "perfect conditions" are as rare as hens teeth, I will put my money on the fast twist barrel.

Jack

Jack.. come down to earth and get real.

First off - the match draws from three or four states, and draws some very expensive rifles in the hands of some experienced shooters, so you have no reference whatsoever.

Second, even if there were two shooters, 15 eggs in a row at 500yds says the 6mmBR delivers the accuracy needed for varmint shooting at longer ranges.

Third, NOTHING, no caliber, no twist, and no bullet, guarantees success. No combination is guaranteed to win.

And forth, this is about VARMINT RIFLES!!

You put your pet cat out at at 700yds, and I'll kill it with my 14" twist 6mmBR and 65gr V-Max's...

Quote:
You put your pet cat out at at 700yds, and I'll kill it with my 14" twist 6mmBR and 65gr V-Max's...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif What kind of cruel person would do that????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif What kind of cruel person would do that????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A CatShooter, you silly person! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wind, wind, wind...that is the issue between different bullet weights/twist rates.

Catshooter, how bad are the winds on this egg-shooting range? I've lived back east in NJ and now live out west, I can tell you there's no comparison. What might work in mild breezes in CT would be blown into the next county out here.

I would never purposely buy a slow-twist rifle for western varmints.
Philip, if you shoot in very low wind conditions a slow twist/light bullet will do ok out to 400-500 yards or even more, but if the wind honks where you are, go with the long heavy high B.C. bullets.

Back