Put together a radio shack e-caller.

BroncoGlenn

I was looking for something to do, so I put together one of the Radio Shack e-callers. One of the things I noticed right away that I don't care for is the small phillips screw for the battery on the amplifier module. I may JB Weld some sort of handle on that in the future.

Assembly is pretty simple. It took me longer to find my soldering iron that it did to put the whole thing together.

As for volume and clarity, it's pretty loud. How loud I can't say, not having another next to me to compare it with.

In other news, the wife sure is upset about something tonight... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Glenn

Just take the screw out of the back of the RS amp/speaker and throw it away (or save it if you want).

The back snaps on so you really don't need the screw there to hold anything. I did it to mine and have had no problems.

DWL

BG, I took the screw on the back of the RS Mini amp and fixed it up a bit. I cut a slot in the screw and then took a small washer and soldered it into the groove on the screw. This makes the screw into a "wing nut." You can then remove/install it with no problems. No problems in over a year. MI VHNTR

BG, I really don't use the mini amp a whole lot, since I use the Azden remote with my MP3 caller. I may have changed it once, but that would be the maximum number of times that it was changed. I do carry it with me at all times, along with enough extra wire, in case the Azden quits for some strange reason. This allows me to keep calling, in case a fresh set of batteries won't fix the Azden. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful on the battery life issue. MI VHNTR

I have a Prey Master and it does a very good job of making food sounds. Sharp, clear, no distortion, and I think as loud as is necessary. I have called up Grey Fox and Coyotes pretty regularly.
After reading about calls on this board I thought I probably should have made my own caller.
Well I had a good tape player,a speaker,and a cable, so I ordered a RS Pocket spkr/amp and a JS Tape.
I put it all together and I got noise ( low frequency food sounds with lots of distortion.The higher the volume, the more the distortion )
In my humble opinion this project was necessary for me to try, but I would recommend that a quality amplifier be used rather than this "mickey Mouse RS Pocket spkr/amp"

I made a nice caller a few years ago. Its a bit heavy, but the volume is tremendous.
Not that expensive either.
1. Motorcycle 12 volt battery
2. Old car cassette player or CD player
3. PA speaker from Radio Shack
4. 100' of speaker wire
5. 50 caliber military ammo can
Wired the stuff together, and it all fits nicely in the ammo can. Put an external toggle switch on the can, and everything else is inside and waterproof. The volume is alot better than the commercial Cabelas one that I have, and battery lasts alot longer too. Great for calling in crows or dogs. Most expensive thing was the battery for $16.00 at Sears. Had it for years and still works great.

Glenn,I have had my RS caller together for two years now and the first year I kept leaving the amp turned on I left it turned on for 4 days and when I needed it it worked.I think as long as there is no sound going thru the amp the batteries should last quite a while.I use industrial 9v batteries and I think I have changed it twice in two years(Iuse it a lot too).I change the batteries in my sony tape player about 3 or 4 times during a 7 mo season(Sept-March)

Back