non freezing gun oil

bobeano

Anyone know of any gun oil that doesnt freeze.I was out hunting and it was pretty cold and when can in couldnt open action on shot gun to unload.Wasnt any colder than normal.Once gun warmed up worked fine.One person told me of oil called Gun Treatment,say it wont freeze,but cant find any.

Many , break free, tetra, the list goes on. More than likely you had condensation that froze up, but that is a guess on my part. 30 weight motor
oil begins to gell at -25 or -30 f. So it really has to be cold for a lightweight
oil to lock up a gun. Now wd40 is another thing, we use it for lure scent on
trout, I think it's vegetable based or something, not suitable for a gun. Grease
will also thicken at a warmer temp. There are also good dry lubes like graphite
and silicons that are not temp sensitive at all.

Thanks you may be wright,later i took gun apart and was very dirty,i was shocked how dirty it was in action,gun is couple years old but fired maybe 50 rounds.I know about the wd40 used it once years ago and it frooze up.Will to much oil cause that? I had just oiled gun knight before.

bobeano, Check out Brownell's website for some "Friction Defense".... It's their own brand and I use it in all my firearms, especially the ARs... It doesn't take much and works great in high heat and low cold...

What is it that all the BR shooters use? It a mixture of two pretty common lubes, but I can't remember what. One of the ingredients might be hydraulic fluid. Whatever it is, I dont even know if it freezes up or not, but I wouldnt think so.

-BANDIT

Quote:
dry slide...

I use that in sub-zero. It's moly disulfide in a carrier that flashes off in a few seconds. I started out using it to lube motorcyle cables in the 70's and it cut the friction to almost nothing and lasted for a few weeks of riding. Cold temperature had no effect. I see they now market it as a firearms lube.

Dri-Slide lube

Quote:
Quote:
dry slide...

I use that in sub-zero. It's moly disulfide in a carrier that flashes off in a few seconds. I started out using it to lube motorcyle cables in the 70's and it cut the friction to almost nothing and lasted for a few weeks of riding. Cold temperature had no effect. I see they now market it as a firearms lube.

Dri-Slide lube

+1 on Dri-Slide. That's what I use. It is unaffected by cold temps.

kroil is not a lubricant, it's a solvent, they do make silikroil that has silicone
in it. It may have some lubricating properties but definitely not made to be
a lubricant.

FP10 is a very good lube and works well in cold temps. Any lube should be used sparingly when cold temps are expected. And, make certain your gun is clean when you start. The powder fouling, combined with oil, can act like tar in the cold, slowing the entire gun's mechanism down, even pumps.

I have a couple of friends who sprayed down their 835's with WD40, and then went hunting the next day when it dropped into the teens. The sludge from unburned powder, combined with the WD40, thickened up and kept their guns from firing. The hammer just couldn't hit the firing pin hard enough to dent the primers. Clean the guns of the sludge and they worked fine, even when cold.

Quote:
FP10 is a very good lube and works well in cold temps.

The guy that developed FP10 now has Weapons Shield CLP on the market, and he'll swear it's much better. I'm not sure how well it works in really cold weather, since it never gets really cold around here. Not like Montana or North Dakota cold. That's the real test.
The moly dry lube would work at -50 F, I'm positive about that.

I think he may have been refering to G96 Gun Treatment, and it does not freeze, at least as far as I can determine. It is the only lube I use, and I've hunted in extremely low temps here in Alberta. I believe the Royal Canadian Mounted Police settled on it after extensive testing, I saw the report somewhere but couldn't say where to find it now. It was also recommended to me by a very good and experienced gunsmith who uses it on his own personal firearms. I would reommend you try it, as it works very well for both cleaning and protecting, and is also safe and beneficial to wood, if that's an issur for you.

Break-Free or Eezox.

Break-Free has actually worked just fine for me in snow-caked semi-autos at -35F. Any colder than that and I just stay home and throw wood on the fire.

Back