MP3 players

sleepy

My MP3 player died on me the other day I was wondering what everbody else is using if they are haveing good luck with them, I got a RCA Kazoo it only lasted about a month luckily I got it at wal mart and they gave me my money back , so anyway I am looking for a new one ,also thinking about using the JS preymaster, any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Sleepy

Sleepy

Talk about timing. I too have been wondering what is the best MP3 Player available for the money. I am currently using a JamP3 Player, and yesterday while out on a stand it died on me. Luckily it was a battery problem (and I should have know the batteries were getting weak).

A buddy is using a Rio 600 MP3, and he is really liking it a lot, but the more he uses it there are some things about it he doesn't like. For one thing the BackLite LCD readout panel really is bright when calling at night (he told me the glare from it lights up his whole chest). The plus side of the Rio 600 is that it displays the Track Title instead of just a track number, but the printing is so small I can not read it without my Bifocals on. The other thing is that the buttons are so small he keeps changing tracks when he hits the play button.

I too would like to know what MP3 Players everyone is using.

Thanks

Larry

I'm also using the Rio 600 and I like it. In AZ we can't call at night so the backlight doesn't bother me. The buttons are small and another problem is the repeat function is a menu item not a button.

The things I really like is outstanding sound. It rocks on this feature. The 32 meg memory is plenty for me, I'm only using 25 meg's now. I like the on/off slide switch at the top. The feature I was really looking for was a AA battery that would last. It takes a single AA which lasts over 10 hours of playtime on mine.

I have another mp3 player that works but not as well as the Rio. If you guys find another that kicks butt like this for under $60 let me know, I'd like to try it.

Ed

Thanks for the info Ed. YES that is indeed the problem, finding one that has all of the RIGHT features for the RIGHT price. OK so I am a cheapskate, I'll admit it, but I have to be, I have a Wife, Kids and even Grandkids.

Thanks again, maybe I'll have to give the Rio 600 a try. I found a place that has factory refurbished ones available for a really decent price.

Larry

Handgunner i was looking around on Rio's web site they have the Rio600 player on there for $29.99 they are a refurbished unit, but you cant beat the price I got me one ordered.
OOOoops I almost forgot the web adress is ,
www.diamondmm.com .
Sleepy

I'm using a Rio 800 which has 64 meg of memory. It's also a refurbished unit I got on E-bay for 60 bucks. The rechargeable battery that came in it gave me problems. I opened the cover and the cover on the battery said that it was "not a consumer serviceable part". I removed the cover and seeing that the rechargeable inside was the same voltage and size as a AA I simply put in a regular AA battery and it's worked well ever since.(not consumer serviceable my but!!!) It's met all my expectations and I'm quite pleased with it. Love the small size and the button placement. At this point I'm using almost all of the memory with the variety of calls I've got on it, but it's easy to cut the length down to use less if you need to. I just don't like my sequences to be too repeatitive. The coyotes probably don't mind but I do!

I'm sure we are going to get more mp3 players in the future for a much better price. They will have all the features we want, single AA battery, track name display, selectable backlight, plenty of memory, button on the front for repeat, kick butt sound quality and tough as nails performance.

This isn't the case right now. I agree with you guys buying the refurb's. My 1st one was $29. I found one of the pins on the backpack bent and straightened it, plays like a screaming rabbit now. What I didn't want to do was spend hundreds of dollars on one and next year have the good one come out and hit the shelves at $39.95. Just to make you feel warm about the Rio, Walmart sells them for $120 right now. Hell for that price I've got a whole caller built, Nady 151; Rio MP3, single pistol case and a few cables and batteries.

Ed

OK, I'm curious and would appreciate some help.

Is it true that an MP3 player plays the digital sounds stored in its memory? If so, where are the call sounds available in a digital format?

How much memory is enough?

Is it possible to 'download' taped sounds to an MP3?

The sounds are indeed stored in digital format in memory chips as non-volital memory. The MP3 is actually the sound format that is compressed. I bought my sounds as Johnny Stewart cassetes, CD's and have recorded some of my own. To use the MP3 you'll need a computer, download the sounds to your computer, convert them to MP3 format and download them to the player. It's really not very complicated if you have some computer knowledge. Learning these programs took me a couple of nights of playing around but man I love the sound mixes I've created.

Ed

Ed, I'm about as computer dumb as they come. Ok, say I have a JS cassette of a cottontail with his nutz in a vice. HOW do I *download* that onto the computer? We'll go one question at a time here and if you or anybody else can help the dummy at the keyboard on this end maybe I can get a little comp. education here. Thanks, Larry

Thanks, Ed.

You know it seems like the MP3 coupled to an amp and big speaker would be better than the Prey Master.

Think about it. With an MP3 you can record what works for you and play it as long as you want. Also, you would not be limited to whatever was on the sound cards.

Sounds like I'm trying to talk myself out of a Prey Master, don't it?

Which would be best?

I'm no computer master but I hooked up a cassette player to the back of my computer with the same patch cord I use for my caller. I used the headphone jack on the cassette and ran the sound into the microphone jack on the computer. I'll have to try it again to give you anymore details but I remember it wasn't very hard.

Don't let me talk you out of the Preymaster. That said, I wouldn't spend the money on one. I use a Rio 600 MP3, Nady 151 and the 5" speco speaker housed in a pistol case. I love mine and have no desire for any other e-caller. The coyotes have been dying to see it!

Ed

Ed Hunter I think you just solved one of my problems with your post. I want to take my JS cassettes and run them thru my computer to convert them to MP3 format. Exactly how did you accomplish this. I understand the sony walkman with patch cord into the back of my computer headphone jack, or was it speaker jack?? Then what do I do?? I too have a Rio 800 128MB MP3 player that I just bought, and I am going to load 65 sounds on it, and I use the same Speco speaker in a cheap leather case that I can hang in a tree. I have my Azden in the leather case with the speaker, and it works great. I love this setup because it is light weight and works like a charm. I will check later for replys, or you can email me at luke@ecpi.com . Thanks.

Redfeather, I think I opened Goldwave and imported them to there. I really only did it once a couple of months ago. I'll go play with it this weekend and let you know. I think the pages on PM were the RS e-caller is detailed has some stuff about this as well and I know there were some posts down here that detail it as well. Do a search under Goldwave and see if it comes up. I'm hooked up for the next few nights but I have some sounds to mix this weekend.

Ed

OK Redfeather here we go. The cassette hookup I used was from the headphone jack to the line jack on the back of the computer with the 1/8" male on both ends patch cord.

Open Goldwave program and on the upper left of the window is a box titled "new". This starts a new sound. Click this and a new sound box comes up. Now click on the main "tools" box. From the drop down menu select "Devcie Control". It opens another box that will control the recording.

On the device control select the black dot with the check mark by it. This brings up a menu of choices. Select volume and then select the input of the sound or "line" option. Note here, if you plugged the cassette into the microphone jack on the computer select the microphone on this menu.

Turn the sound on "Baby" and let it rock. Actually when you turn the sound on you should hear it on your computer speakers so make sure they are on and work. Then hit "control" and click the red button on the device control and Goldwave will record the sound. Play with it a little and you will get a good quality recoring in digital format.

Ed

Ed, is Goldwave a program that I'll have to download 1st before I even attempt doing anything else? Stay with me here Ed. lol There will be a million questions I'm sure. Larry

Goldwave is a program that will cut, splice and edit sounds. It isn't necessary if you don't want to customize your sounds. If you buy your sounds on CD's you don't need it at all. The MP3 software I have will let me rip tracks directly to the player.

To be truethful, that just doesn't get it for me. I have a bunch of sounds that I've mixed to what I think will work the best. Some actually do work well. I guess it just depends on how much time you want to spend and how picky you are about controlling the sounds that come out of the e-caller.

Hope this helped. Ed

I have a Rio 600 and like it very much. I have downloaded and made several sounds myself. The one I am having trouble making is rustling leaves. I wanted a sound of something struggling in the leaves. I took a tape player to the woods and taped me rustling the leaves in several various ways. It sounds pretty good after much editing (using Goldwave), but not perfect yet. Any suggestions?

I'm using an Apple iPod. It is expensive but I have not had any problems with it. Also using it for music, I have about 35 calls lasting 2+ minutes each and 9 full CDs of music loaded on it and still have only used about .33 of the available space.

Ed Hunter,

I have a RIO 600 on the way and have downloaded GoldWave and the MP3 plugin.

Tell me more about your "Nady 151 and the 5" speco speaker housed in a pistol case"

Such as.... I do a Google search for Nady 151 and see that it's a remote microphone system. I assume you had to modify it. Details?

How about this "speco speaker"... Where do you get these and what model should I ask for.

Also... Did you need an amplifier?

Also the pistol case... What size and brand?

$bob$

Back