do it yourself decoys

Quote:
my feathers on a stick just don't work when there is no wind . :-(

Try putting two turkey feathers together, one a left sided one and the other a right sided one. This way they work together to spin. Even the slightest breeze will keep them moving this way and you never need to replace batteries.

Quote:
Quote:
my feathers on a stick just don't work when there is no wind . :-(

Try putting two turkey feathers together, one a left sided one and the other a right sided one. This way they work together to spin. Even the slightest breeze will keep them moving this way and you never need to replace batteries.

i have two huge feathers on there they do twirl in the lightest of breeze.

I use a SmartyCat. I painted it camo and replaced the feathers with a coyote tail. It works great and battery life is very good.

Quote:
if the dying rabbit is the sound you use, stake out a live rabbit. pet rabbits work real good, you use a black one if theres snow on the ground a white one at night with no snow.
you will find that the rabbit will sit real still and not move much, so you need to buy a shock collar for toy dogs and if the rabbit gets lazy just shock it. the shock collar will make them jump around for a little while. this works great, they smell like rabbit, look like rabbit, and with the fox pro next to them they sound like rabbit.
hope you all know I am very much just kiddding around
Cracker

You made my day ... Funniest thing I,ve read in a long time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

I wired a road kill ss hare to a grade stake and stick it in the snow .. put some fox lure on it ,, I place my Johnny Stewart caller next to it ... I don,t know if SS hares are high pitched or low pitched tho ... ... @ 34 below , I,m not doin alot of experimenting tho .. I know , I,m a wimp ...

Quote:
I use a SmartyCat. I painted it camo and replaced the feathers with a coyote tail. It works great and battery life is very good.

Does the SmartyCat's motor make noise heard at 25 yards or so? I am needing to bring them in very close, and am concerned about motor noise.

years ago one of the kids in the family got a jumping ball that bounced around everywhere when you turned it on. you couldnt even hold onto this thing easily. i always wondered if they still made them to cover with fur and throw out in a field. this thing has a round ball in the center and a bunch of cone shaped rubber pieces coming off the ball. it bounced erratically everywhere. would look pretty cool in the field.

Here is a DooDoo it yourself decoy for LIONS!!!!

Imageimage001jpg01C95F703DC4E6E0.jpg

Well got that smartycat thing,had my cat real interested,ran for about ten minutes,shut it off,wouldnt come back on...ever! Wrapped er up,sent er back. They offered to replace it but didnt figure there was much hope. Wallys did put the money back in my account so cant fault customer service... but [beeep] that kinks my slinky! Guess were back to the drawing board.

I took a wiffle ball and covered it with glue and then breast feathers from a recent Pheasent Kill and added a few tail feathers. It has a small hole in the bottom of it and I put it on the end of an arrow stuck in the ground. It helps it spin easily with little wind. I havent had time to go hunting yet, but when I had it stuck out in the front yard in the sun to dry my daughter said our Lab seen it and attacked it.

i did a real simple design, with a 555 timer a 9v a small motor and a fishing weight. the idea was then put in a spray paint cap (the plastic inner circle held the motor and outer held the bat. then cut off a 20 ounce bottle and pushed the cap in there andwrapped it with the rabbit pelt.

it would flip around for 10 secs, off and on, off and on.... worked well butnever had anything come into the decoy, but that may have been my part, or it was too low to the ground (should try hanging it from a tree) cost was about $5 and a rabbit pelt (could be covered with what ever)

can provide pics and such if some one is real intrested

Last edited:
Quote:
i did a real simple design, with a 555 timer a 9v a small motor and a fishing weight.

Build a bunch and put them up for sale. You did the design work, get a reward. I'm just sayin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yeah already designed some electrical components that pay the bills (www.motydesign.com) this is simple enough i have NO problem GIVING to the people... if anyone needs some idea that uses electronics tha you want to come to life let me know ill help on the design

EDIT: going to do a GOOD how to in the next day for this little wireless decoy, but what does the group want to see on the time that it moves and the time that it holds still??? got to pull some stuff together for the write up.

Brian

4.6k resistor- .10
36k resistor- .10
1000uf cap- .30
.1uf cap- .30
Board to soilder- 1
Motor- 2.60
555- 1.99
9v battery- 2.89
Switch- 1.99
Battery holder- .25

Total-$11.62

So a bit more unless you cans find a motor and a battery

coyote410-26-07.jpg

My one and only coyote. Bought this at a pet store. Cut off the fur ball and swiped some feathers from my wife's feather duster. Glued them on with hot glue. Camoed it up. A little cumbersome to carry but works great. It has an erratic inconsistent swing which is good. This coyote had serious tunnel vision when he came in. Only had one day to hunt. Called in two coyote and a herd of cows. Will go back out west in June and spend a lot more time hunting coyote.

Last edited:
Back