do it yourself decoys

jimmyjames

I have been on a mission to build my own motorized decoy. I have a battery pack with charger and a good plan I think? Wondering if any one has an idea on what kind of motor to use. My battery packs are 7.5VDC. HELP.........

Just get a RC car and cover the car with fur and some feathers on the wheels, put it on a stick and your done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have been ROBBED ........!

That RC car bit was my idea a couple of years ago!!!

Everybody jumped on me and said that the motor sound would spook'em ...........

Regards

Three 44s

I think building your own decoy sounds like a fun project.
The next time I get to town iam gonna go to the toy dept and find something to make one.
I have an idea to make a very large decoy that might get a better responce from our yotes in my area.Something that will bring on more agression (sp)
Griz

i had a pretty cool idea for one.

but the toy truck i got was really underpowered for my project. i was gonna use a rabbit pelt around a wad of newspaper or somting as the lure. but i keep hearing feathers work well. may have to give that a try.

Quote:
I have been ROBBED ........!

That RC car bit was my idea a couple of years ago!!!

Everybody jumped on me and said that the motor sound would spook'em ...........

Regards

Three 44s

Might be to loud but some of those decoys are pretty loud already and with rabbit distress blasting out I doubt they will care.

just heard a new idea about a cheap decoy, the motorized ball with the furry tail on it for cats, Petsmart. Have not been there to pick it up but I think with a little thought it could be just right.

I'm trying a feather duster with the handle cut off and the main body hooked to a spring thats mounted to a small peice of wood. Tryed out in the yard and with even a slight breeze the feathers danced around and looked like a bird figiting around.Hope it works.
Thought of that after I found out I cant use a live chicken on a leash. Darn shame there.

You mean like this?
DSCN1299.jpg

It makes a little noise, but not too bad...kind of an electronic whirring back and forth sound. I just put it in a camo backpack and place the e-caller right next to it. It seems to work good. Has a good range, maybe 50 yds or better. Hasn't gotten me a coyote yet, but that's my fault, not the decoys. I think I'll ditch the fake fur and feather for a real squirrel tail and a turkey feather or two. The neat thing is that when the batteries get low, it's starts to quiver at random, even better than working it your self.

if the dying rabbit is the sound you use, stake out a live rabbit. pet rabbits work real good, you use a black one if theres snow on the ground a white one at night with no snow.
you will find that the rabbit will sit real still and not move much, so you need to buy a shock collar for toy dogs and if the rabbit gets lazy just shock it. the shock collar will make them jump around for a little while. this works great, they smell like rabbit, look like rabbit, and with the fox pro next to them they sound like rabbit.
hope you all know I am very much just kiddding around
Cracker

Quote:
just heard a new idea about a cheap decoy, the motorized ball with the furry tail on it for cats, Petsmart. Have not been there to pick it up but I think with a little thought it could be just right.

Called a "weasel ball" does not have enough power to roll around in dirt, brush etc. But, if you hang it from a couple of rubberbands from a tree limb, hang a few feathers off of it in addition to the "weasel" that it comes with and then color the green and yellow ball with proper camo colored markers it works pretty good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
The run around $7.00 or so,

Look at the Smartycat Loco Motion. Its the same thing petsmart has but at walmart its ten bucks cheaper. I would link you to it but Im compooter illeterate. I havent got mine yet but thats what Im goin with. Couple shots camo paint should be all thats needed.

Quote:
Wondering if any one has an idea on what kind of motor to use.

Something like a drive motor out of a junked cassette deck should work and be silent. I'd jury-rig something like that, it should run all day if you kept the friction low. You can knock the 7.5V down to 5 or 6 V with a $2 regulator IC or a string of diodes.
If you try that and need any help, PM me. I was an electronics tech for 25 years.

Quote:
Look at the Smartycat Loco Motion. Its the same thing petsmart has but at walmart its ten bucks cheaper. I would link you to it but Im compooter illeterate. I havent got mine yet but thats what Im goin with. Couple shots camo paint should be all thats needed.

That does look promising!

SmartyKat Loco Motion

I wrapped up some feathers for a decoy, it worked to call in a fox and one dog on the first day. Just some junk feathers from my fly tying stuff. Made one light and one just a little heaver, could change them out for the wind.

Back