Question about Nikon Scope

DogHunter1

I am thinking of buying a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44. It has the interchangable turrets, sunshade, and flip up protectors. The price is $400. It is a refurbished scope from Nikon. Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it etc.?

Nikon has one of the best warranties in the business. I wouildn't be afraid of a refurb. I have several Nikon scopes and love them. 5.5-16 is the largest I have.

Quote:
Nikon has one of the best warranties in the business. I wouldn't be afraid of a refurb. I have several Nikon scopes and love them. 5.5-16 is the largest I have.

I'm running Nikons on all of my rifles. As far as I'm concerned, they're as good as you can get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Nikon = good scopes... 5-20 on an AR10? If you are going to reach out there like a 308 can than i think your fine. I just wouldn't wnat to use that in the thick stuff. Good find.

I have a couple of Nikons and love them. You really can't go wrong.

The ONLY thing I'm not crazy about with my Nikon scopes is IMO the reticule is a bit too thick. If it were little thinner they would be perfect.

I'm also a big Nikon fan but the 90 day warrenty would make me think twice about getting a refurbished one. All new Nikon scopes have an unlimited lifetime warrenty, even if you're not the original buyer. That's a big plus in my book. Refurbished means it's already had at least one problem. If Nikon is doing the refurbish, why wouldn't they honor the lifetime warrenty? Something to think about.

Wrongtarget and Ducksoup, thanks for pointing that out. I contacted SWFA and they informed me that they did only have a 90 day warranty. That just talked me out of it. I am now looking at a leupold 4.5-14 VXIII B&C for $485 brand new. Thanks to all for the help.

Quote:
The ONLY thing I'm not crazy about with my Nikon scopes is IMO the reticule is a bit too thick. If it were little thinner they would be perfect.

I have never used their Nikoplex.
They do make a nice Mildot, however.

Last edited:
I got 4 of the previously mentioned Nikon/buckmasters scopes this year, all 4.5-14 x40 MilDot reticles with side focus. They have proven to be really nice, unbeatable for the price imo! They track well and go back to zero when dialed up and down. The side focus is dead nuts with the scale numbers vs. yardage and stays put via friction.
Sold two of my leupold MK4 long range scopes and bought all 4 nikons, plus a rifle!

Opticzone has great prices on Nikons. I think you can get into one new 5-20 Monarch for the around the price you mentioned on the refurb. I have 7 Leupolds here. I hunt with 2 of them at night. A new 4.5x14 and a 3x9. I have one Nikon Pro-staff on my inline. That $130.00 scope is far away away clearer and brighter in low light than my Leupolds. I have been a Leupold fan since I started hunting. Other than a few cheapos for rimfires i have only bought scopes with goldrings. I will not be buying anymore Leupolds if I can get a Nikon in the power/weight range I am looking for.

I sold my VX-III 4.5-14x40mm and replaced it with a Monarch UCC 3.3-10x44 and could not be happier with the decision.

The Leupy did not have an adjustable objective and the parallax was so bad that I had to get rid of it.

Well, I just got my new scope. I got a brand new Monarch 4-16x42. Got it from SWFA. I looked through the Leupold 4.5-14 and just wasn't that impressed. The Nikon was just as clear if not clearer. And I saved quite a bit of money. Thanks for all the help.

Quote:
I got a brand new Monarch 4-16x42. Got it from SWFA.

My opinion is, you would have had to pay a lot more to get a better scope than the Monarch. Nikon made the premier 35mm camera and lens for many years and they learned a couple of things about optics along the way.

Back