Have a .223 55gr H322 Load To Share???

VirginiaNewGuy

Does anybody have a .223 55gr load they can share. I am stuck with Hodgdon H322 powder for the next 200 rounds or so.
My store only had 55gr projectiles (Combined Technologies Ballistic Silver Tips =black moly ones).
And my new Rem700 SPS Tac 20in is ready to go huntin this coming weekend!

My Sierra manual says 23.9grs is 3100fps from a 24in barrel.
I have a 20in so 2900fps (-50fps per in)?

Can anybody who has used H322 in a .223 tell me what load works good for them in a 1:8 with a 55gr?

Thanks in advance

Problem is my load most likely wont shoot the same group in your gun. Load up some following the charges listed in the load manuals and go shoot them.

Furhunter, precision aside for a minute...
Do you have a 20in barrel?
Do you know what velocity you can get with H322 and a 55?

I think I am only going to get 2900fps with this 20in barrel.

I want 3100-3200 if possible but I am stuck with this dang powder!

Quote:
Furhunter, precision aside for a minute...
Do you have a 20in barrel?
Do you know what velocity you can get with H322 and a 55?

I think I am only going to get 2900fps with this 20in barrel.

I want 3100-3200 if possible but I am stuck with this dang powder!

I have Rock River Varminter with a 20 inch pipe. with 21, 21.5 and 22 grains of H322 powder all three loads shot under 1 inch, almost the same POI on all three loads. I didnt chrony them, but I would be willing to bet they are all 2900 to 3000 FPS. I dont think your going to get to that 3100 to 3200 FPS mark with the H322 powder. One of my manuals states 23.1 as a max load at 3100 but I could see I was starting to build pressure at 22.5 and I pulled my 23 grain loads. I wouldnt worry much about the extra FPS, lots of guys walk right past good accuracy for velocity and the coyotes wont know the difference.

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the details.
If you're killing them at 22.5 in the AR that should be fine for me.

Are you getting exits on rib double lung shots with ballistic tips of any brand?

Its been awhile since I killed a coyote and then I used my 6mm with a 55 gr BT. Pelts are not worth a red cent around here this year, so long as they look good enough on one side for a hero pic, thats all I care about.

Hello to all , I use the h322 for my 223 and my 6.8, and it works great for me,the vmax 60gr with 23gr of h322 works great ,
I have used the h335 and the bullets went every where but where i wanted them to , with h322 i can put 3 rounds in less than a dime size spot at 100 yds even with me shooting , /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

you also have to remember that you are useing coated bullets. so you will most likly have lower fps then Furhunter . I wish I could remember the artical I read on it. but it was refuring to the fact that moly or moly like substance is a lube so its goes down the barrel easyer than non moly so that = less pressure and less FPS. I have found that with moly coated bullets I can usually go one full grain higher than non moly. But remeber you have to work up to it.

Last edited:
My rifle loves 23.5g of H322 with a 55g Bullet, shooting very tiny groups.

In your shoes, I would start off at loading 3 shots at 22.5, 23.0, 23.5, and 24g and stop when ever you see extreme pressure signs.

You will hit a home run somewhere in these loads listed above.

Good luck!

Back