RS Ecaller Question/Problem

d2admin

Administrator
This post is directed to Mr. Cobb, but anyone else who can provide help or advice is welcome to! Near the end of last winter, I put together the wireless RS ecaller, with help from this board. I used a Walkman cassette player for my source. I have since bought an MP3 player, and finally have some sounds on it. However, the other day I tried to run the setup, and could not get the caller sounds through the speaker. I had it set up just like before, only using the MP3 instead of the cassette. I am getting static/noise from the speaker when the amp and receiver are on, but no animal sounds when the MP3 and wireless transmitter are on.

I am wondering if my wireless receiver is working right. When the power button is pushed on, the red light is lit. However, the green light, which indicates "Ready," is not lit. Do you know if the green light should be lit, for the system to work? I don't recall from last year if that was the case or not.

Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks!

Check your bat power for your rec. if they are low they will have enough power to light the red light but nothing else, something I found that will happing sometimes, hope this will help
Sleepy

So, then is the answer to my question yes, the green light on these receiver units is supposed to be lit when the thing is turned on?

Crusader, the green light on means that your transmitter and reciever are talking to one another. It has to be on for sound to be played.

Ed--So, should the green light be lit all the time, or only when the transmitter is actually transmitting? Mine is not lit at all, only a brief flicker when you push the power button on. My batteries are all good--should I suspect a transmitter or receiver problem?

Thanks for the help...

The green light should be lit when the wireless unit ( to the mp3 player) is turned on, as long as the base station. It does not have to be transmitting. Have you checked the batteries in the mic unit? If the light is red on it, it is low on batter power..

Hey Eric:

Thanks for the thought. Yep, all the batteries are brand-new. I'm thinking maybe I will take the receiver to Radio Shack and ask them to break out a new transmitter to test my receiver. That should help me determine if my receiver is working properly and the transmitter isn't, or vice-versa.

I had the same problem with my homemade E-caller from a year ago. With the tape player it sounded good but with the MP3 there was very little volume.
With my Sony walkman tape player i didn't need the PRE-AMP only the Audio Amp. With my model(sonic) MP3 i needed BOTH pre-amp and audio(out) amp.
The problem is with the low quality of the RS amp it tends to amplify "noise" on the pre-amp side of things and hence you get a lot of static. I am currently trying some different amp that are of better quality and I'm also building my own amp but don't have it completed yet. If i find anything of value i'll post it.
BTW, i have a FOXPRO and love it but building my own E-caller and trying to make it work is fun. I'm using a 7 Watt horn speaker, MP3 and Walkmans, and Nady wireless setup. I can also just use the player, amp, speaker and wire as well.

Went to RS last night, had them check out my system. Turns out that my transmitter is fine, but my receiver is not. Couldn't find out what is causing the problem in the receiver, but the green light isn't lit and the thing just isn't working.

They tell me I can have the receiver worked on, but that would cost almost as much $ as buying a new one. So, I guess it is either that, or go with a different setup (Azden, NADY, etc.).

Oh, anyone have a spare RS wireless system receiver to sell?

Thanks,
Crusader

Back