6.8SPC Coyote load... Choice between 2 bullets.

I'm trying to develope a more "fur friendly" round for my 6.8 AR.

My load is a 90gr Speer TNT over 29.5gr of RL7 in a new SSA case and a Wolf SMR primer. This round shoots ragged bug holes with my rifle. However, I'm having my doubts on the bullet and it's thin jacket. I'm concerned I'll either get HUGE exits or a surface splatter.

My thoughts are to rework the load using a Sierra 90gr HP with a thicker jacket. From what I've heard, the thicker jacketed bullet expands "slower" and may not give me that large exit I'm trying to avoid.

Sure I could use my .223, but the 6.8 is just asking for it's first kill. And who am I to say no? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have no personal experience with the 90 grain TNT's and coyotes, but I did section one of those bullets and the jacket is quite heavy. I believe it was designed as a varmint bullet for the .270 Win. and the velocities associated with it. I don't think you would have any problems with a "splash" at the velocities you will be achieving.

Hopefully someone with some personal experience will come along, but the bullet looks sturdy enough to me.

Quote:
I have no personal experience with the 90 grain TNT's and coyotes, but I did section one of those bullets and the jacket is quite heavy. I believe it was designed as a varmint bullet for the .270 Win. and the velocities associated with it. I don't think you would have any problems with a "splash" at the velocities you will be achieving.

Hopefully someone with some personal experience will come along, but the bullet looks sturdy enough to me.

Thanks Mike!! You are correct, sir. The TNT was built for varmits in the .270 platform. The "short" length lends itself nicely for loading with the limited size of the AR mag in mind. I've also heard tell of a 85 grain "varmint" bullet that is supposed to be available from a different manufacturer, but have yet to locate any. If you happen to know of any, PLEASE send me the info!!

I'll load up a few more TNT's and see what happens. It's a GREAT round for this specific rifle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif However, with velocity now approaching 3000fps, I'm still a bit concerned with the "splash" possibilities... Trial by fire will tell the story... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
I realy like the 90gr sierra bullet shoots great and drops them in their tracks,never have shot the speer.

Gary

Thanks Gary!!

I have heard that from others as well. With the Speer having a better BC than the Sierra, I'd like to stay with the "more accurate" bullet. IF it gives me the down range performance I'm looking for.

Maybe I'll just work up a round with the Sierra's as well. Can never have too many bullets.... right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

So far this year I have shot two coyotes and a grey fox with my 6.8, all were shot using the TNT.
The first coyote was hit behind the ear while he was going out the back door, the entry was 1" and exit was devastating.
Coyote #2 came directly to the caller, waiting there until Clint set up on him with the v camera, then turned and started trotting away at an angle. I hit him a "little" far back in the left rear, entry was an inch as best as I could tell, the exit was R rated. A finisher was required so I shot him again in the neck/head area with similar results as #1.
The fox came in on a string directly to the caller which was situated in the open about 25 yds. out in front of us.
He stopped and looked directly at us, I hit a couple inches low but it didn't make much difference. He was DRT, I'll just say that if you wanted to gut him, you wouldn't have needed a knife.

I'm sure if you hit a coyote broadside and it wasn't real close, the damage would be less, but you can't pick your shots either.

This bullet, along with the 90 gr. Sierra are pretty fragile and will open up at 6.8 velocities, if you use them, plan on getting plenty of practice with the needle and thread.

I may suggest a 100, 110, 115 or even a 130 gr. bullet for a fur friendlier 6.8 bullet. I've been shooting the 130s subsonic and they are MOA or better, if your not expecting many shots past 150 yds., that may be a good option for you.

Quote:
So far this year I have shot two coyotes and a grey fox with my 6.8, all were shot using the TNT.
The first coyote was hit behind the ear while he was going out the back door, the entry was 1" and exit was devastating.
Coyote #2 came directly to the caller, waiting there until Clint set up on him with the v camera, then turned and started trotting away at an angle. I hit him a "little" far back in the left rear, entry was an inch as best as I could tell, the exit was R rated. A finisher was required so I shot him again in the neck/head area with similar results as #1.
The fox came in on a string directly to the caller which was situated in the open about 25 yds. out in front of us.
He stopped and looked directly at us, I hit a couple inches low but it didn't make much difference. He was DRT, I'll just say that if you wanted to gut him, you wouldn't have needed a knife.

I'm sure if you hit a coyote broadside and it wasn't real close, the damage would be less, but you can't pick your shots either.

This bullet, along with the 90 gr. Sierra are pretty fragile and will open up at 6.8 velocities, if you use them, plan on getting plenty of practice with the needle and thread.

I may suggest a 100, 110, 115 or even a 130 gr. bullet for a fur friendlier 6.8 bullet. I've been shooting the 130s subsonic and they are MOA or better, if your not expecting many shots past 150 yds., that may be a good option for you.

Well THAT'S not really what I wanted to hear.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I like your idea of the subsonic 130's but won't my rifle be "undergassed" with those? I'm not looking to "re-rack" for every shot and suppressors are a big NO-NO here in Minnesota as well. So that idea is out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The first coyote I got this season wan taken at around 150yds, with an SSA, 110PH in thier combat loading. Like you, I hit a bit farther back than I would have liked... And like you, the results were a very messy DRT... "R" rated FOR SURE!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Since FMJ's are out of the question... What would you recommend in a v-e-r-y slow opening bullet. Good from 50 to 250 yards. Or is round that a needle in a hay stack? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I'm trying to develope a more "fur friendly" round for my 6.8 AR.

My load is a 90gr Speer TNT over 29.5gr of RL7 in a new SSA case and a Wolf SMR primer. This round shoots ragged bug holes with my rifle. However, I'm having my doubts on the bullet and it's thin jacket. I'm concerned I'll either get HUGE exits or a surface splatter.

My thoughts are to rework the load using a Sierra 90gr HP with a thicker jacket. From what I've heard, the thicker jacketed bullet expands "slower" and may not give me that large exit I'm trying to avoid.

Sure I could use my .223, but the 6.8 is just asking for it's first kill. And who am I to say no? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You may have read my post from last month.
I shot my first 6.8 coyote using the Sierra 90hp and I had to look really hard to find the holes. Shot it straight on in the chest and it exited the left side midway in the ribcage. She was DRT with hardly any blood. Velocity was 2900 fps. and a range of about 100yds.
It sure didn't damage the hide on that one but the next one maybe different.

My rifle will function with and without the suppressor using subsonic 130s, I can PM you those loads if your interested.
I think from my full power loads, the sub loads dropped only a few inches at 100, so the trajectory wouldn't be an issue out to 150 or so. Assuming you sight your rifle accordingly. It's rare to shoot over 50-75 yards here, I know when I lived in NE Iowa, there were times when I could have shot 400 yds+.
You could always carry two different magazines with you, one with full power and the other with sub loads, that way you could be covered for long shots and shorter shots where the cover was a little thicker. Atleast until you mix them up.
My experience with the 90s and 100s isn't scientific so you may have differing results. I would have to believe that when either one of those hit bone, they will upset and start to fragment.
Your coyotes up there are much bigger than what we have around here also.

Quote:
My rifle will function with and without the suppressor using subsonic 130s, I can PM you those loads if your interested.
I think from my full power loads, the sub loads dropped only a few inches at 100, so the trajectory wouldn't be an issue out to 150 or so. Assuming you sight your rifle accordingly. It's rare to shoot over 50-75 yards here, I know when I lived in NE Iowa, there were times when I could have shot 400 yds+.
You could always carry two different magazines with you, one with full power and the other with sub loads, that way you could be covered for long shots and shorter shots where the cover was a little thicker. Atleast until you mix them up.
My experience with the 90s and 100s isn't scientific so you may have differing results. I would have to believe that when either one of those hit bone, they will upset and start to fragment.
Your coyotes up there are much bigger than what we have around here also.

SURE!!! Send them my way!!! Another recipe is always fun to have!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I just finished up one 6.8 the other day and still have two more to do, just waiting on parts. Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll get a chance to open up a dog with the 90 TNT's I loaded up. My first three rounds using 32.5 grains of X-Terminator and 90TNT's produced a 1-1/2" group, not good. I backed it down .5 grain and put the next 7 rounds in under an inch at 100 yards as fast as I could smack the trigger and get back on target. I still need to run them thru the speed meter so I can judge were I'm at but no time as of yet.

Congradulations on the yote Dan, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

When did you bag him/her?

I had heard you might be working up a yote load for the 6.8spc but I didn't know you were out in force for them yet, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I must have been out of the loop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Any pics? how was the fur?

Loader: constructor
Powder: 11.6gr RE7.
Bullet: 130gr Sierra SBT
Brass: SSA small primer
Primer: n/a
Crimp: none.
OAL: 2.26".
Gun: 16" Model 1 1:10 twist, carbine gas system
Chrony Data (@ 10'): 11.7gr =1200fps
Note: Cycles the action!

Powder: 16.1gr 748.
Chrony Data (@ 10'): 16.3gr=1250fps

Powder: 20gr RE19
Chrony Data (@ 10'): RE19 20gr=1040fps

Quote:
Congradulations on the yote Dan, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

When did you bag him/her?

I had heard you might be working up a yote load for the 6.8spc but I didn't know you were out in force for them yet, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I must have been out of the loop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Any pics? how was the fur?

Well thank you sir!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Not "out in force" quite yet as deer season is still upon us. I popped this average size male out on the farm on the north side, just east of the old bridge. About a 150 yd shot and let's just say the 110gr pro hunters are "just a bit too much" for the yodel dogs. NOT fur friendly at all!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'll send you a pic on your phone as posting them here would certainly violate the "no gore" rules of the site T.O.S.

I spoke briefly with the local C.O. and this seasons outlook is quite promising for that area. We'll discuss that later if you'd like...

We'll have to work on the "loop" thing... Cause' there be dogs in them thar hills that need an attitude adjustment!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Thanks for the recipes!!

Seeing the Constructor was the loader, the same man that built my upper, I'm sure we can get something to work!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back