Nady 351 vs. Azden, first impressions.

d2admin

Administrator
I just finished playing with the Nady 351 and the Azden side-by-side, indoors (no range test/comparision yet).

At this point, I'm planning on keeping the Nady. It's louder and clearer than the Azden, with all three different horn speakers I've got here (7W, 15W and 25W, all RMS). Not by much, but I can tell the difference. It's just a little bit louder, and a little bit cleaner sounding - especially at full volume. My wife agreed - blind (she had no idea which was wich - I just asked her which sounded better). Without an amp, the little 7W speaker sounds the best too, by the way (with both wireless units).

When I first plugged the speaker into the Nady and turned it all the way up (the reciever has a volume control), there was an ugly humming/hissing sound. But, that took about two seconds to make go away by turning down the output control on the transmitter - and that was that, not another untoward hiss or hum was heard.

This is one of the things I like better about the Nady than the Azden, is the controls. The Nady transmitter has the level control just mentioned, that the Azden doesn't. Another little feature it has that I really like is a three way off/standby/on switch. For those of you with Foxpro's, you'll understand why I like that. I'm used to using the Mute function on my Foxpro a lot, and the Standby on the Nady serves the same purpose. I like. The transmitter also has a locking jack for the input. I don't have a locking patch cable yet, but I'll get one - it will mean one less thing to go wrong on the stand. The reciever has a volume control, which could come in handy I suppose. Though, I'll probably leave it at full blast all the time, so it really isn't going to be usefull for me. The reciever also has an adjustable mute, which controls the sensitivity to the transmitter signal. I don't expect to use that much, but it does offer flexibility in setting up various configurations that the Azden doesn't. It also has a level control for the audio out jack - I'm sure I WILL use that when I get an amp to play with. The Azden has none of these controls. And, lastly, the Nady reciever has an antenna even "I" won't break /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . It actually came with two antennas, a soft wire and a flexible rubber duck. I'm using the rubber duck and don't forsee any problem with it getting damaged in the field - it appears practically indestructable.

The only thing I have found so far that I'd rate the Azden better on, is that when I first power everything up with the Nady, there is a definite little "pop" that comes out of the speaker. It's not loud enough that I'd sweat it while settting up a stand, but it's there, and the Azden doesn't do that.

So, "so far so good". The Nady would be my choice over the Azden if they both cost the same. But the Nady is actually about $25 cheaper.

Range testing will be the determining factor for me. If the Nady works at least as far as the Azden, I'm keeping the Nady.

- DAA

Excellent !!

I knew those Gain Controls were gonna come as a benefit ! The level matching was desperately needed on the AZDEN setup. I had been recomending Attenutating patch cords between the Head unit and the AZDEN transmitter to even things out. But the infinite gain controls are way better ! That will have a lot to do with the better SQ your getting.

DAA thanks for taking the chance on the NADY for us ! ROCK-ON.

Thanks for the info. DAA. I just ordered a Nady 351 yesterday to try out. I'll let you know how it works. I still have a hum in my Azden. I am using a Sony walkman cassette player hooked up to the Azden and a Johnny Stewart Power Pro speaker on the other end with the speaker cord shortened to 6 feet. I do not have the Power Pro amp any where in the setup, just using the Azden as the amp. I have good range, so far tested up to 100 yards, and pretty good volume probably as good as a Johnny Stewart mid range caller but I have a hum in the speaker at all volumes. Anybody else have this hum? Do I need a different size speaker?
This has been a great thread as I have learned a lot keep the info. coming. Bruce

yacolt...

Could be the motor that drives the cassette player causing the hum. Have you tried any other sound source, like a CD player? I'm pretty sure they make filters that can supress the humming noise, you may want to check the local Radio Shack. Hope this helps...

Yea I have tried it with a CD player and a new Sony cassette player, both have the hum. I am using a 1/4" reduced to 1/8" plug adapter on the end of my speaker and on the tape player using a 1 foot stereo patch cord with 1/8" plugs on each end. I notice scratching static coming through the speaker when I move the patch cord around that is hooked up on the cassette player and the Azden. All in all the total sound doesn't sound bad but there is some hum and I'm not sure that would bother a coyote or not. Bruce

Well...

I had a chance today to range test the two units side-by-side. Used the antenna up on both. Testing went like this:

Set the speaker on the ground, plugged it into the Nady reciever, started walking away with the Nady transmitter and my MP3 player. It worked to well beyond 100 yards, with direct line of sight. Kinda... At about 70 yards, the sound quality started deteriorating noticeably. I had a buddy standing at the speaker and he confirmed that it wasn't just my imagination. Next, I started walking away from the speaker again, this time keeping my body between the transmitter and the speaker/reciever. The funky sound deterioration started at about 45-50 yards. I can best describe the sound deterioration as a strange intermitten clipping. Next, I took the batteries out of the Nady and put them in the Azden (wanted to make sure both had the same battery state as close as I could keep it). With the antenna UP, and direct line of sight, the Azden also worked to well over 100 yds, with no sound deterioration until about 120 yards. I then repeated the walking away with my body between the transmitter and the reciever with the Azden. I got to the point where sound had started deteriorating noticeably with the Nady and the Azden sound was still going strong, and it continued going strong until about 85 yards.

No two ways about it, the Azden kicked the Nady's butt on range.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. I'd really like more time to play with the Nady and see if I can't "tune" it to work better at longer range. I suspect I can. But, if I'm going to return the Nady in exchange for an Azden, I have to do it on Monday (limited return period combined with my travel plans for next week), and I won't be able to do any more testing before then. I'll sleep on it for a day or two I guess. But may very well end up returning the Nady for an Azden on Monday (the last day I'll be able to).

- DAA

Quick update. I just snuck down the road and did some more playing with them. I was able to increase the range on the Nady - in two ways. New, fresh batt's made a noticeable improvement. Also, playing with the transmitter output and the rec'vr audio out levels helped too. But, the Azden still outdistanced it by a wide margin.

I like everything about the Nady better EXCEPT the range. For my purposes here, range is important though. And while I do like all the other features of the Nady, it's by a fairly slim margin. While on the one feature the Azden is better, it's by a wide margin. So, anyhow, for my purposes, I've decided on the Azden.

I'll be returning my Nady tomorrow.

- DAA

I built the RS caller and it works great. I just orderd a Nady 151 VR-LT wireless to upgrade the system. I hunt mostly the thick n nasty western Wasington forests. It is all close cover shotgun work. I figgured that the 70 yard range of the Nady will be just fine.

Furface, I'm over here on the westside as well. Id like to get some idea how you are setting up for those critters in this thick stuff and also how your caller is working out I'm also concidering the Nady but also need to upgrade my sound source.
PW

patncor
I started with by puting togeather the RS e caller.http://www.predatormastersforums.com/homemadeecaller.html
Then went on and used Ed's Kaller plans.http://southwestadventures.tripod.com/predatoralbum/id7.html
I picked up a Rio 600 for $29.00 from http://www.sonicblue.com/shop/_templates/cat_list.asp?cat=6
I got the Nady for $69.85 at http://store.yahoo.com/avpronet/151vr-lt.html
I have some used Speco 6 inch speakers laying around. I did add the RS amp. for more volume.
I just got it working last week... the last day of cat season /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I havent tried it in the woods yet.

Lets go hunting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I prefer the nady over the azden. I have tried both the Azden WMS Pro and the Azden WR10II (the wr10 is the predasessor to the wm series same size and cheaper - got one for sale for $40 if anyone is interested) I cant get the crystal clear sound I get from the Nadys. I have tried all the attenuation cable, audio filters, inline volume control, and everything else discussed here and can't seem to get it right. I know others have had great sucess, it's just not working for me.

The nady 351 is far better then the Nady 151VR in my openion. Better sound and more volume. The 151vr works great, it's just a little pickier then the 351. I just bought 5 151vr sets from a guy and I'll be selling 3 of them. Contact me if you are interested.

Back