yotehunter6--question on lithium batteries

Silverfox

The alkaline batteries (AAs) provide 1.5 volts (maybe even a bit more), the NiCads about 1.2 volts, the nickel-metal hydride batteries only put out about 1.2 volts, but what about the lithium batteries? Do you have any information you can share on what voltage the AA lithium batteries produce?

Thanks.

SILVERFOX
Sure I have more info for ya. The lithium batteries put out 1.5 volts. To give ya alittle more info on the other batteries ya need to know that the others may only have 1.2 volts but they hold thier reserve capacity charge at that rate until they are discharged. Where as alks steadely drop off. It gets pretty complicated when tou get into reserve capacity and spike rating but it all serves a purpose. I was using alks because I work with batteries all day and for me they cost pennys. I use them once then replace them the next time out. But the lithiums while they cost alittle more (alot more) they to hold thier voltage rating until discharged. They weigh less than a alky AA. They feel like they are hollow, They can withstand very cold temps and very warm temps -40F to 140F. The others wont come close, they may work but not long. Give them a try I think youll like them. If you cant find them email me at yotehunter5@aol.com. Thanks for listening to my ramblins.

Hey yotehunter that is very interesting. I have a couple flashlights that use lithium batteries. You re right. They cost more but perform much better. Batteries are weird though. It depends a lot on what you are powering it seems. For example, the Foxpro. I might get a day or two of hard calling with ni-cads. When it goes dead, it is all of a sudden, bam, it's dead. Now with alks I have only got to experience one set go dead in the FP so far. It was a used set out of my flashlight. They started to fade on high volume. I reduced the volume and was able to finish the stand. I really didn't notice a performance change till that time. The gradual loss of voltage at the end is more desirable than the sudden complete loss of power during a stand. Plus 4 alks for a whole season of calling is pretty cheap. Lithium's are $7.50 a battery where I live but I'm sure they can be found much cheaper elsewhere.

Now in a flashlight I much prefer the lithium batteries. They retain a crisp white light till the end and clearly outperform the alks.

You seem to really now your stuff about batteries yote. Appreciate the great info you are sharing. What do you do for a living again? Not trying to pry, just kind of interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yotehunter6--thanks for the GREAT information! It sounds like the lithium batteries are the way to go for use with my FoxPro in North Dakota. It DOES get down to -30º in the winter and up to 100º plus in the summer.

There was an alkaline 9-Volt battery in the remote and that has held up for almost two seasons! The rechargeables in the call itself have seemed to hold up very well too. However, when I replace these batteries it will be with the lithium type batteries.

Now, another question for you--will I have to buy a special battery charger for the lithium batteries or can I use my old battery charger? My old charger is for the nickel-cadmium batteries produced by Panasonic.

I really appreciate you sharing your valuable battery knowledge with us. Thanks again!

Silverfox and Curt
Curt you are correct, alot depends on what you are operating everything seems to react alittle different. So you always need to experament alittle to see what works best for your application. I used to be a auto mech, but when I moved from calif to Nv I wanted to try something different so for the past 5 years I have been working with batteries, The store is called A-1 Battery. We handle every battery that is obtainable. We make our own battery packs, repair chargers almost anything related to batteries we do. Thanks for your reply. Any one who ever needs advise feel free to ask ill do the best I can to help.

Silverfox
Im not sure if your charger will work or not. If its an older type then it probably wont. most of the newer ones are made to handle all types of batteries but you should always make sure that it states somewhere that the charger you are using will handle your paticular type of batteries. I can look into model numbers if you have them to check it out but since the lithiums are fairly new to the market the older ones wont work to good if at all.

Thanks again yotehunter. My battery charger is a Model the BQ-4D. It does say on the back that and the I should "Charge only Panasonic rechargeable nickel-cadmium batteries." Looks like I'll be searching for a new charger if I get those lithium batteris. Over and out!

Yotehunter,
Check with the Radio Control airplane guys. They have all sorts of chargers and battery packs that they use. The newest trend is to the Lithium batteries for more flight time at no weight penalty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back