Remodeling the RS Mini Amp

SD Handgunner

For you guys that have taken the RS Mini apart (out of it's original container) has anyone replaced the on/off, volume control with a simple on/of switch without the volume control? Would this work, and still allow the volume control to be used on the sound source? (ie eliminating the volume control on the RS Mini Amp, and just having an on/off switch)

Just wondering how you did this with the RS Mini Amp set up with a Remote (when setting the RS Mini Amp at the site of the Receiver & Speaker. Or do you just set the volume at a preset volume?

Thanks

Larry

I went to RS, and bought a 6 pack of the 9 volt battery connectors. The kind that are inside of the Mini amp. I'm very low in the electronics end so my lingo may be wrong. I connected one to the inside of the amp, like it was a battery. Took the extra wire, and brought it out the slot where the in and out lines come out, or you could drill a hole in the mini amp housing. Connect another by splicing the wires together. Don't forget, you have to go red to black, and black to red. You reversed it when you connected the connectors together. Then I put a on-off switch between the hot wires. I leave the amp volume set in one place, and it does not get power untill I throw the switch. I'm trying to figure a way to throw one switch to activate everything. But am learning as I go. If you understand this, it will work. If not, maybe someone else who does, can explain a better way. Also, you can change batteries without needing a screwdriver. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by The Butcher (edited 02-18-2002).]

A little more simple solution would be to just put the on of switch in line. All you have to do is cut the red wire and wire the switch into the wire between the power source and the amp. Drill a small hole for it to stick out of and wallaaa instant on/off. It will require a switch that has pigtails on it to have enough wire to do this... By the way I took my speaker out of my mini amp and it gives plenty of room to do what I am talking about.

After you install the switch you can preset your volume control by gluing it with 3m weatherstrip adhesive and it will stay put. Then you can control the volume with your playback device........... James L.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Never underestimate the power of stupid people!

Thanks guys. James, at what volume level did you glue the switch? It seems on my RS Mini Amp, once I get to a certain point on the volume control, if I go above that point the sound does not get any louder, but the noise does. Is this what everyone else is experiencing?

Thanks again

Larry

On mine the volume is adjusted to where the white line on the dial is just out of sight on the case. What I did is I removed my speaker from mine to lighten up the load. Every ounce counts.......... James L.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Never underestimate the power of stupid people!

Back