Connections on DVR caller?

songdogger

Okay, guys. I have an Olympus VN-90 DVR and can't get the sounds loaded from the computer wav files without the static. I'm sure it was covered before but the topic has taken on a mind of its own.
I am running stereo to stereo connection. Does it need to be stereo(computer) to mono(DVR) to reduce the static? Is that what you're running, MoHunter? If so, is there a RS converter to plug into the DVR with the stereo end plugged into it? If I can just get rid of the static at the mid to high volumes, I think this will be awesome.
What about coming from the DVR to the mini amp? Does that need to be mono to stereo or mono to mono? Thanks!

------------------
Bye y'all
yotewalk.gif

B. Pierce

[This message has been edited by songdogger (edited 01-20-2002).]

Songdogger,
I am having same problem concerning the static. My local Radio Shack opens at noon and I am going to see about an adapter of some sort (stereo plug on one end and mono on the other). I should have an answer later today. The patch cord I'm using now is "mono", which works fine for running from DVR to mini-amp, but sucks for trying to pull sounds from my computer or boom box.

Thanks, Rich. Our RS is closed today, so I'm waiting on your results.
I also just ordered the 5007 on e-bay for 25.88+shipping(6.00). I bought the Olympus VN-90 and the voice recordings and hand call recordings that I've made have a lot of static in them also. I've tried every setting on the dang thing, too. When the other one comes in, I'll probably take the Olympus back. It cost about 60 dollars, so I'll have saved about 30 bucks(thanks to steve_davis).

Songdogger,
Well I spent 13.00 for the best stereo audio cord they had, plus an adapter for one end to change from stereo to mono. I can pull the sound from computer or boombox with fair quality just so long as I don't try to tape some silence before the screams begin. When I try to tape a minute of silence, I just end up with a minute of loud static. I think maybe I still have a problem.

Thanks, Rich.
I was intending to just record about 30 seconds of the intended sound, then just use the pause function for silence. I was just hoping to get a little more clear recording than I am right now. As is, my JS tape caller is more clear than my DVR.
I'll get me a stereo to mono cord and an adapter also and see what I can come up with. I'll keep ya' posted. Brad

.There's a coupla other things to check.. The volume level may be too high or the boost may be on in your sound driver s/w.. There's a ton of variables.. Goto the "Help" tab in "My Computer" and enter in "sound".. It should give you a few options to try.. cya.. JiNC

PS-This one of the reasons I went with the MP3 player..You have a little more control over this stuff..
..Muleskinner.. Goto the site and check out the directions for making your own sounds..

------------------
...Molon Labe!!...
..A North Carolina Varminter...

thanks, Jake. I'll try that when I get the RCA DVR if it has the same problem that the Olympus has.

[This message has been edited by songdogger (edited 01-21-2002).]

Don't remember for sure...Ive slept since then LOL But when I recorded mine I took my stereo cord and pluged it into the source and then into the mono adapter and into the recorder. now when I am using my DVR I am runnig without the adapter...stereo out of DVR stereo into the amp..mono out of the amp to the speaker, if I tried to put the mono adapter inbetween the DVR and the amp my volume goes way down, from there I am pushing the sound thru 75 feet of 22 guage stranded wire, into a 5 watt, 4 ohm outdoor speaker. I know I know , dosent sound right putting stereo cables into mono sockets, 5 watt 4 ohm speaker. but I can't argue with what is working good. I have the radio shack 25 watt 8 ohm speaker and side by the side the 5 watt 4 ohm speaker sounds louder and better, just wish I would have figured that out before I camoed the radio shack speaker...guess I will have to build me two callers. By the way I am tinkering with the idea addin a mike to my amp so I can sing along karoke style while im waiting for the varmits to show themselves.
biggrin.gif

Mo Hunter--What make/brand is your 5 watt 4 ohm speaker? Is it the same type/style as the RS horn?

Also, where in Central Missouri do you live, and more importantly, hunt coyotes?

Thanks!

Maybe that's the ticket. I'm going to try various cable hookups to see if that cuts down on the background hissing. I didn't think of that. I believe I was running mono cord out of everything. I'll need to check though.

Thanks!

Rusty

Question, would a ground loop (noise filter like for a car stereo) between the sound source and the amp or between the amp and speaker help cut down the "hiss"? I have the 08 version of the RCA and it's not to bad but would still like to clean it up a little. Also I thought I read that you could load the sounds int the computer and clean them up with goldwave or something.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I was doing some experimenting yesterday on pulling wav files from computer onto my 5008 DVR. I found that setting volume on DVR to zero, and the volume level on computer fairly low really helps. Some wav files require different volume setting on my computer than others do. I have nine sounds stored in one folder on my DVR now that are all very clear. The mid-range speaker from my old Stewart MS-512 gives more realistic sound than does the radio shack 25 watt speaker. I am running 100 feet of speaker wire right now, but may add Azden remote at later time. I also want to pick up an MP-3 player to try because on those I believe you can set to play chosen sound over and over again until you press stop button. I just don't know how easy it is to learn how to record sounds onto an MP-3 player.

Back