Cassette to CD/MP3

SamSpade

Did a little testing of transferring cassette tapes to MP3 CDs. I tried all of the software mentioned here: CoolEdit, Goldwave and MusicMatch. I am computer support tech by profession and install and support a lot of software.
CoolEdit is not user friendly and expensive (maybe good for the profession sound engineer).
MusicMatch is not user friendly and I could get it to recognize my line in or mic in jacks on my computer. The program is generally free when packaged with another product. It is a good sound player and CD burner.
Goldwave by far is the best program for our use. Quick download, good help screens, automatic recognition of line in and mic jacks. Fairly priced and demo gives you the full functionalality. I had it up and recording in less than 15 minutes.
Bottom line is that I am going to use Goldwave and MusicMatch for transferring my cassette tapes to MP3 files for CD and digital files.

------------------
SamSpade@milwpc.com

Are you able to clean up the hissing and popping that is prevalent on the tapes once you download the sound? I'm not just interested in copying, but also cleaning up the sounds from the tape to transfer to the CD.

Thanks!

Rusty

Goldwave has filters for noise reduction but I don't know whether this will get rid of hiss. There also other filters available.

If you use goldwave look under effects,then filter, noise reduction,preset shapes has hiss removal and hum reduction. There is also a pop/click under noise reduction.

Back