12 volts on a tape player?

Derag2

How do you go about this???????? will the wire be bigg enough to put end on to hook up to a battery or will i have to replace them with bigger wire?

Thanks.

Ill betcha if you give us some more detail as to what youre talking about and what youre trying to do, youll get a really good answer...

I want to make a electonic caller. out of a tape player. BUt the regular batteries won't give me much calling time. So i have heard of people putting 12 Volt batteries on there players. Put how would you hook it up?????????

What kind of tape player ??

Car stereo, Walkman, BoomBox, Home Stereo Component ???

Basically if its not already a 12v item, (and it will accept a DC input) then you need to use a voltage converter, (IE 12volt down to 9 volts)... The converter "releases" the extra voltage as heat.

Voltage Coverters are readily available at anyplace that has Automotive acessories...

Need more info about your "tape player" ....

I was thinking the same thing and found an adjustable voltage regulater part no.RSU 11516119 in Radio Shack catalog.Adjust from 1.2 to 33vdc.I s this viable ?

You can use a walkman if you hook up the AZDEN Wireless (140$) or RS mini AMP (12$)

Boomboxes are kinda bulky to lug around but... OK..

Your Boombox should have a DC input on it...

It should say right there on the Boombox at the DC input what Voltage it requires. Take it to Radio Shack with ya and make sure you get the right adapter plug to plug in the boomboxes DC input jack. There are many to choose from and its easy to guess wrong

It should also be marked as to which conducter is the postive (center pole or outer shield) also known as "polarity"

Make DOUBLE-SURE YOU KNOW the polarity. Get it wrong and youll be sorry. (poof a smoke -- smell of Ozone -- kinda sorry)

You can then take one of the 12V DC adapters that plugs into a ciglighter and make sure it is set for the correct voltage (there will be a little slider switch marked at the different intervals) like 7$

Get a FEMALE ciglighter port (4$) with leads and run the postive and negative wires to a 12V battery (RS also has some 5aH batteries for about 25$ that are rechargeable... You can wire it so you can recharge that battery off the ciglighter in your vehicle...) that battery is heavy though...

If you can wire up fog lights, then this is no big deal at all... There's other ways of doing this it all depends on the exact Converter you get and how its configured..

The next thing you could do is wire some high volume Horn/PA speaker(s) to the boombox to really get some volume crankin'...

FWIW:
Anytime you fool around with stuff like this as a "home project" you leave yourself open to a possible increase in failure potential. If your not good with tinkering, You might just wanna do it right the first time and buy a production eCaller thats ready to roll out the box.

Robb

[This message has been edited by Robb/Scottsdale/AZ (edited 01-21-2002).]

Originally posted by Remshot:
I was thinking the same thing and found an adjustable voltage regulater part no.RSU 11516119 in Radio Shack catalog.Adjust from 1.2 to 33vdc.I s this viable ?

Is that an AC to DC converter

OR

a DC to DC converter ??

A boombox will usually have a DC input Jack, this is what you want to use...
(Hence a DC to DC converter) If you dont match the voltage youll fry the boombox.

That would be dc to dc.There are several others on that page.That one is 9.99.
I took a rechargeable 6v flashlight apart after the battery gave out.The guts are simple.Came with cigarette and ac adaptors and has charging light.Battery was 6v lead/acid. With a 12v battery and regulator might be useable as a wiring harness.Flashlight was 15 bucks.
Just thinking out loud.

Back