Radio Shack #277-1008 Amplified Speaker

good ideal howler,i have also thought of trying it with the EDWC for out here in the plains,sometimes out here u need a little more volume.has any one else tryed it on the phantom yet,just curious

I just picked up my Radio amp spaker, an like it so much I bought 2.

Pluged in my Phantom speaker an my Azden wireless mic, Man-O-Man talk about a travel call for those long hikes. This set up is small, lite, and loud enough for any calling.

Does any one know how long the 9v will run a 25 watt speaker?

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.
Wildoats

"The expactations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Confucius

I hooked one up to the speaker for my phantom and it works great. I can stick the walkman and the amp in the same bag and end up with all the sounds of the phantom + whatever tapes i have. Sounds great too!

Seems like you guys are coming up with more uses for this little Speaker/Amp all the time. My thanks to Steve Craig, Critr Gitr, MIke MacDonald and the others for pointing this out to me. I have shown mine to a couple other people, and one of the guys is going to sell his Johnny Stewart and build a setup like I have.

Hopefully over the Christmas holiday I can get my Calling CD's made, and try them out.

Thanks for all of these neat ideas.

Larry

Wildoats,
I have run the Mini for 3 straight days of continuous calling on one 9-volt battery before it went dead using a 30 watt speaker. Use only FRESH batteries though. The batteries in your Walkman will run down after a day and a half. All bets are off if using this rig in very cold climates. If any battery freezes, everything goes dead.Just warm up the batteries and they will work just fine.
For what it's worth,
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

Well you all talked me into it, and am I ever happy. I plugged in my Phantom speaker into the amp and the male end of the Phantom 50" wire to the amp. Made a male-male 1/8 pigtail to plug into the Phantom wire then into the Phantom transmitter or a cassette player. The Phantom doesn't take as much boost from the amp as the cassette player, but the volume control on the player gives one full range. I even tried the amp speaker by itself on the Phantom and cassette player, and it works good that way too. I mounted my Phantom speaker to a coffe can and I velcroed the amp into the inside of the can. Wrapped the Phantom wire around the can for a spooled effect and it makes a nifty little setup. Actually the can is a #10 can not a coffee can. I camoed the can and put an extra camo hood I have over the can for a total camo job. I appreciate all the posts for this subject. Sure has added an inexpensive boon to my electronic call system. Wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and Happiest of New Years. Keep a kind thought for all those who are missing loved ones this Season and may you always have success on your stands. Steve Davis

O.K. guys you got me too. I added Radio Shack stock to my portfolio and then went down and bought me one of them there amplifier speakers before the shortages hit. I've never used an e-caller of any kind. Why do you use a P.A. horn instead of a regular type speaker? Since both my kid's cassette and c.d. work with it, Is it better to use c.d.'s or tapes?

[This message has been edited by Mudhen (edited 12-24-2001).]

Mudhen,

I'd use what ever you have sounds for, the cd might be nice if you have several different sounds on it and can replay the one you want.

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.
Wildoats

"The expactations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Confucius

Mudhen,

You use a Horn/PA speaker because it has a high sensitivity ratio. Ignore the wattage rating of a speaker and look at the dB at 1watt/meter. This tells you how loud a speaker is (especially compared to another speaker)

Your home stereo speaker has a sensitivity of about 90dB where the Horn speaker has a sensitivity of about 115dB. (Thats a whole lot !)

Bottomline: The horn speaker is "louder" for a given wattage input. Not to mention weather-resistant. It also plays the frequency range (250hz-15Khz) youre looking for with one driver as opposed to needing a woofer-tweeter combination...

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

I've been working on the same thing but using an MP3 player. With 64megs of ram I can get 7 different 5 min sounds. Just repeat them for as long as I like. Also butchered the radio shack amp, put in a project box and added a 7.7V rechargable battery pack. The whole setup will fit inside my jacket to keep warm when calling in cold weather. Will probably be trying it out next weekend. Will let you know how it works out.

Mike

How's the 7.7volt battery setup workin' compared to the 9volt original ?

How are you adjusting the amp volume, or is it "set", or are you having to open the project box, or what ?

Seems to me you should be able to put the amp on the on/volume setting you like the best (compromise between backnoise and volume) and put some tape over the control and put an on/off "switch" somewhere between the battery pack and the mini-amp...

any other details you care to share

Sorry about that...It's a 7.2 volt r/c car battery pack. I don't know yet how long this setup will last but I predict it will outlast me in a weekend's worth of calling without having to be recharged. It is a 2000mah battery pack.
I also modified the project box to allow me to adjust the volume. Also has input/output and charge jacks.(Could post some pix if someone would be so kind as to tell me how?). The battery pack and charger cost about $30 and the project box + jacks were probably around $5 total. Then there is the R-Shack amp and a $130 MP3 player and a $20 speaker so I have pretty close to $200 in it but it is very light, very versital and very loud. I couldn't be happier
smile.gif

As for volume, I can the volume all the way up on the MP3 player and amp without any noticable distortion or hiss. I have a piece of software that did an amazing job at removing any noise even from MP3's that I made from tapes!

Well I went and got one of the little amps today and hooked it up to my JS512MR and man did it give it a boost in volume. 1/4 volume with the amp hoooked up is like 3/4 or full volume without it . Local Radio Shack was out 25watt pa horns so the guy hooked it up to a 50watt and we played JS coyote locator tape in the store and it was very damn loud. Iam going to have to pick up another to build a cd calling rig as I've been meaning to run two sets of callers for crowhunting. My Thanks to whoever started this.

[This message has been edited by crowshootersuprx (edited 12-29-2001).]

My buddy downloaded a sample of Cool Edit. The program sells for $40.00, and may or may not do more than the sample does. At any rate the sample did what we needed it to do. I used my caller last night. We did not get out all of the noise, but it is better than it was on the tapes.

Larry

Sorry for the delay, I took a sebatical to go huntin'. I also used cool edit but be aware that you must aslo purchase a plug in to remove pop and hiss. I think it is also around $40. so it can get a little expensive.

Mike

SD Handgunner, what type of connection did you have to use when using a tape player to download the songs into Cool Edit? I'm planning on downloading my sounds from tape, clean them up and then burn them onto CD's. (I guess that's obvious)

Thanks,

Rusty

Rusty, I am not exactly sure, we did the editing on a buddy's computer, and he had it all set up when I got there. However all I saw was a single cord running from the earphone jack on his boom box to the back of his computer. (I thought he said he plugged it into the mic jack on the computer, but am not sure).

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Larry

Back