Radio Shack #277-1008 Amplified Speaker

SD Handgunner

I picked one up today, $11.99 plus tax. As soon as I got home I had to try it out, so I plugged my PA Type Speaker into it (8 ohms, 5 Watts-12 Watts MAXIMUM), and then plugged everything into my portable Cassette Player. Put in the Johnny Stewart Coyote Locator, and was I amazed.

It really overpowered my PA Type Speaker (guess I need a different one), and it was so loud in the house it hurt my ears. This weekend a buddy is going to burn me a CD using the sounds off of my Cassettes, and I should be almost ready to go.

Question, how long does the 9 volt battery last in this little Amp?, and how does it get so much volume from such a little package? You guys were right, it works quite well.

Coyotes beware. (either that or they had better wear ear muffs)

Thanks for the tips guys.

Larry

As I said earlier, quite unreasonable, isn't it!!!

The amp info said that the battery life depends on how much volume you use. And, I suppose, the speaker you use.

Don't forget to carry the appropriate small phillips screwdriver and a spare battery. time will tell.......

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Another customer......I picked mine up yesterday, along with the Radio Shack 6" outdoor horn. (more of a rectangular horn, unlike the round JS speaker). Also had to buy the jumper wire to connect both. Total cost: $35.00. The problem: my wife gave her old cassette walkman away!! So I am in the hunt for a used one....I think I have some leads, should know today. This is worse than Christmas morning, I'm here to tell ya.
I will give a full report once I have all materials hooked up.
Thanks again for the tip!
Muss

p.s. a mysterious package arrived yesterday addressed to my wife, from Pennsylvania. Isn't that where Foxpro is located!!??

FYI: I was in an Osco drugstore yesterday, and they had Walkman-type (probably not as good quality) cassette players for $9.99, and up. Two or 3 different ones between $10 and $15.

Most of these were pocket-type players, with a clip. Could be great for calling. I would check their return policy, then start with the least expensive one.........

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

If you look real hard....

you can still find little walkmans with Dolby B noise reduction that , even if the tape isnt officially dolby recorded, will still help knock out some of the tape hiss...

mine was 25$, last year.

HEHEHEHEHEHE How about $5.00 . Is that too much for a casste recorder? Look at Wal Mart in the electronics department. You will find a model 820M Street Beat Cassette.Heck it even comes in your choice of two colors. Black or grey. How is that? Do ya' think they were thinking of us hunters when they molded them?
wink.gif
James L.

Robb/Scottsdale/AZ

What brand was the one in question with the Dolby? I am in the process of having some of my Cassettes burned onto CD's, but may want a Walkman type Cassette Player for future use.

Thanks

Larry

PS, A buddy is picking up a 6" PA Horn for me a Radio Shack as we speak. (Yep it is the rectangular one.) It is listed as 25 Watt RMS / 50 Watts MAXIMUM at 120db. I shouldn't everdrive this one.

Thanks again

Larry

Well fellas, the proof in in the puddin. I got anxious, and hooked up my speaker (just like the one you are about to get SD Handgunner), the $11.99 amplifier, and sent the signal from my computer. I opened up the Phantom Predator website and played the sounds on their keypad. At about 1/16 the possible volume my ears were starting to tingle. That little amp is amazing. I found a cassette walkman, the guy is bringing it to me tomorrow. What a gadget!! I am going to go home tonight and camo tape the speaker, and put an old camo facenet over the front of it. Also going to velcro the walkman and the amplifier together. AND....I am going to spool out an old spool of 25 lb. test monofilimant to wind up the speaker wire onto.

Grinning from ear to ear.....he he he.
Muss

I think its an AIWA... SD HGr got it at a Major discount outlet... Frys or Incredible Universe or something...

had an old sony before that that musta had a dirty head on it... much static...

I got the little RS amp sitting at home right now but havent played with it yet... are you using MONO 1/8 plugs or STEREO 1/8 plugs ?

If this works even halfway good as you guys are all saying, I might just get two amps, and two speakers, strap the amps to the speakrs, split the signal from the Tape/CD/whatever...

sounds like the amp doesnt need much source "gain"

For that price why not?

[This message has been edited by Robb/Scottsdale/AZ (edited 12-13-2001).]

Hey Robb-
I used 1/8 stereo from the sound source to the amp, then 1/8 mono from the amp to the speaker. (although I don't know if it would make a difference??) Just got done "configuring" the little contraption. The speaker that I bought has a separate mounting bracket. I attached the bracket to a spool for 25lb test fishing line using 4 machine screws/nuts/lockwashers. I then bought 2-11/16" door hinge pins and those are what attach the speaker to the bracket. I also took a piece of 1/2" PVC (thin wall)about 6-8" long and used it as a handle. (If you turn the spool over, the plastic sticks out, I just jammed the PVC pipe over the top of it. Now, I have a spool for the wire, a mount for the speaker, and the PVC to shove in the ground wherever I set my speaker. I will see if I can get some pictures of this on here sometime.....

Once again....thanks Steve (and everyone else!)

Muss

I am just using MONO 1/8" Plugs. In fact I bought a pre-made jumper wire with 1/8" male MONO plugs on each end to go between the sound source and the mini amp. My buddy picked me up a Radio Shack PA Speaker today. it is part number 40-1440 for $19.99, rated at 25 Watts RMS / 50 Watts MAXIMUM. I haven't tried it yet (everyone here is sleeping but me, and that probably wouldn't be good about now), but I will try it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Larry

WOW, I tried the new Speaker, (Radio Shack #14-440 - $19.99) hooked to the Mini Amp (Radio Shack #277-1008 - $11.99), and couldn't believe the volume. I really don't see how I would ever use this setup at full volume.

I put in a Johnny Stewart Coyote Locator Tape (Group Howling), and cranked it up. I think I about scared my daughters Guinea Pig half to death. In fact it was soo loud I expected calls from the neighbors.

At any rate, I am now ready to go calling, once the wind quits, and I don't have to work.

Larry

Hooked mine up last night... 5 in Horn speaker. Sounded loud in the house thats for sure.

NEXT STEP: wire in some kinda rechargeable power supply thru the Cig lighter...

wow this is weird since I was about 12 my brother and I have been using are homemade rig ecaller, now you guys are doing the same I was always embarresed of mine around other hunters thinking they would laugh at me, but the only thing we did not use was this amp you all have installed on them to make them louder,well what I have is the original speaker and it was my dads it appears that it was for a dashmounted CB speaker and it is Radioshack brand they still carry the exact brand today, and I have 100 ft. wire to get the speaker away from me, the cassetplayer is a little bigger than the walkmans, and they are speaker and player is camoed,

WE are going to try to get the
Group Howls Coyote Locator
Lone Coyote Challenge
Coyote Pup Distress
Grown Jackrabbit
Cottontail Distress
Fawn Bleating
Kitten Distress
Burned onto a CD for now.

I hope to add a couple more also, just haven't bought (found) the tapes I want yet.

Larry

Has any one tried using the amp on a Johnny Stewart e-caller? The amp JS makes costs $60, but if you were to get two 1/4 to 1/8 adapters and plug it into the JS caller, would it amplipy it also? Beats paying $60.

Anybody give any thought to adding a 1/8 female plug in to a fox pro and then running a wire to a amplified speaker and then to the little horn speaker. I looked mine over and didn't see a lot of extra room but I suppose it could be done??
This of course would only be for extreme cases when the fopro wouldn't be loud enough, I think the coyote voalizations on the foxpro could be louder

Back