background noise on RS ecall

snakeAR

I am very new to predator hunting and made one of the radio shack ecalls. It has some background noise I don't know if this is normal, the tape, or what. I took it and called crows first time out and got lots of crows to come in but I wandered if coyotes and fox would be more alert to the background noise? HELP!!!!!

I have used the rs system about 35-40 times and called somthing ever time.

I think its in the player one uses,and you only need to turn the amp up very little to get the volume needed to get somthing to come.

A little hiss wont hurt... as said, use the volume from you tape or Cd, and only a little bit on the mini-amp...

I take my thumb and put it on the edge of the wheel when I go to turn it on. hold thumb in same spot then rotate to turn on and give volume, never going further than your thumb will allow.... thats all it takes...

Coyote are running right up to it no problems...

Thanks guys for the advice. I was trying to get the volume from the amp and leave the player volume down because it seems the player makes it hiss worse, so I guess I need a better player?
Thanks,
Mike

I built one of these yesterday but ended up buying a $24 sony walkman because the cheapo player I had sounded like crap! Agree with everyone about the amp turned up very little - there seems to be a "sweet" spot on the amp's volume control that works great for my Sony player. I suppose this "spot" will vary from amp to amp and player to player.
A big THANKS!! to you guys that figured this all out. I now have a nice, simple, lightweight tape caller.

I adjust for minimum noise at home, then try it outside. If the volume is acceptable then I put a witness mark on the amp volume wheel and the amp case so I can go to the best setting whenever I need to. I also put an on-off toggle switch to shut the amp off and on so I never have to mess with the volume I have set. Good hunting to you all, Steve

Anyone ever looked at putting some kind of a filter between the amp and the speaker to take the hiss out? I'm going to check with RS tomorrow and see if they have such an animal.

------------------
Dirty Old Man

I love it!! Everybody puts their heads together, and it just keeps getting better.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Critr

fea6c171.jpg.orig.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Went to RS today and picked up a "Ground Loop Isolator" and wired it between the tape player and the amp, which was what was recommeded to do. It took some of the noise out of the system but not enough to justify it's price, $16.00.

While playing with this thing today I found that the noise is being generated by the speaker. It seems that the amp provides more power than the speaker can handle. Maybe a better qualiy speaker is the answer. I'm going to work on that and will let Ya'll know what I find.

------------------
Dirty Old Man

Let us know how that turns out Old Hunter.

Jake in NC - first want to say thanks on your website, well done!. Somehow I got there from another message board and then to here from yours. What a long, strange trip its been.
smile.gif

Anyways, i looked at those remotes on ebay and noticed the range is only 90 feet max. Unless there's a way to increase the distance that doesn't seem far enough.

Was just wondering if the Radio shack outfit is any louder than a mid sized boom box? Is the sound quality better?? I bought the stuff to do it but wonder if it will be worth it??

~~~~~~~~~~Muleskinner~~~~~~~~~

Back