Painting RS Powerhorn-Will it hurt performance?

Okie-Yoter

Here in southern OK we don't get much snow so up to this point I have been covering my speaker with a Camo-Net since the speaker is white,but I would like to Camo paint it.Can anyone tell me if this would hurt the sound quality?And what about painting inside the bell of the speaker?

Electronically Challenged,
Okie-Yoter

As long as you don't get any paint down into the bottom of the bell or on the filament inside it you should be ok. I'd try stuffing some newspaper down as far as I could and then paint whatever you want. Just be sure you can get the paper back out...LOL

As long as you don't get any paint down into the bottom of the bell or on the filament inside it you should be ok. I'd try stuffing some newspaper down as far as I could and then paint whatever you want. Just be sure you can get the paper back out...LOL

Do you mean like this?
OpenCaller

Just take a paper towel and poke it down inside the bottom of the horn to mask the black element down there. Roughen up the surface of all the places you intend to paint with some sand paper and paint away. I used Krylon flat camo paint and it works great. After the paint dries, just pull the paper towel out and you are finished.

Originally posted by Mike McDonald:
Do you mean like this?
OpenCaller

Just take a paper towel and poke it down inside the bottom of the horn to mask the black element down there. Roughen up the surface of all the places you intend to paint with some sand paper and paint away. I used Krylon flat camo paint and it works great. After the paint dries, just pull the paper towel out and you are finished.

Mike,
What is that little Black box under the AMP in the picture you posted??????? It says PRO on it......

------------------

I'm not Mike, but that black box is the receiver for an Azden wireless remote. I have a similar set-up using an MP3 player for the sound source.

Originally posted by Buster:
I'm not Mike, but that black box is the receiver for an Azden wireless remote. I have a similar set-up using an MP3 player for the sound source.

Buster,

How far away can you use that remote?? Can you use a remote like that on a DVR???

People claim to get over 200 yards from the Azden unit. Personally, I want it far enough away to draw the animals attention from me, but close enough that I don't need 12x optics to see the critter. I've only used mine once, but it worked great at about 35-40 yards.

The Azden unit will work with just about any sound source. You'll need a patch cord, which also acts as the antenna, to attach your sound source (CD, cassette, MP3, DVR) to the Azden transmitter. Then you'll need to fashion the wires on your speaker so it has an end that's compatable with the Azden receiver. Do a search on this site. I'm sure there is a complete list, including part numbers for everything you'll needed. Search for RS (Radio Shack) or cheap e-caller, or something to that effect.

I bought my system from Steve Taylor Outdoors. For $300.00 I got 16 sounds on an MP3 player, the Azden remote, and the speaker. I'm sure you can build one for a few bucks cheaper, I just didn't want to hassle with it. Good luck

The way I have the thing set up now is without the RS amp. Just a speaker and the AZDEN WLX-PRO remote. Robb and I tested the range on it at the Tom Mix hunt and it started cutting out at 182 paces. Plenty far enough for even the wiliest coyote.

Back