Breaking in Cage Traps

huntingal

This is the first year I am going to try cage trapping some bobcats. The two I ordered came in today, nice and shiney. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I am thinking that I need to "age" them a little to take some of the "new" off, make them blend in better. Is this true and neccessary to trap bobcats? If so how can I do it in a hurry? I hope to have them out working for me in the next week to ten days.

Its not necessary to do that,for trapping bobcats at least.I bought one last year and the same day I went and set it in an old barn on some of my grandpas land and had a bobcat in it the next day.I've caught two in it so far and had a couple of other critters in it too.Im not sure what they were because they flipped the cage over and got out so Im guessing they were raccoons.Im going to stake them down this year so that doesnt happen again.But as far as being shiny and new I dont think that bothers the critters too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

ODRattler,
You are most likely right. I have had many racoons roll over my cage traps, a simlple stake in one corner fixes the problem.
vander

I spray my new traps with 1/3 baking soda and 2/3 water if Iam after fox. Bobcats don't pay that much attention to a little scent on a cage. Just do the basic's-- on a cubby set,make sure they can't get to the back (outside) of your cage. Use enough cover on the cage to make it look natural and so Magpies and Crows can't see it from the air. And ALWAYS sift dirt or juniper needles over the cage floor.Most Bobcats don't like to step on that wire. Do a search and you will find some good pics.of cubby sets. Yancy has a bunch of pics. Don't get carried away---season dose'nt start till Dec.1st

thanks for the info, puts my mind a ease.
Your right Colorado season is a little ways away but Utah's is just in a couple of days and only a stones throw (OK a big throw) from my front step. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back