53.5 lb dog eater

Displayed Name

Had a good day today with the .22-250. With the time change and with work slowing down I have time to call in the morning before work.

My brother was plowing yesterday and told me he had seen two nice coyotes at dusk.

It just so happens to be only a couple fields over from a family that had their border collie eaten in their front yard last winter. When I got home in the spring I tried to call there a couple times for the dog eaters but no luck.

Now, with a fresh siting I get up early this morning and go setup in the back of the field that my brother had spotted them in. I used my Mojo decoy for a change, as well as JS Preymaster caller and KO 2006 Predator Solutions howler. Twenty minutes into the stand I had a nice female charging across the plowed field and I took her at 100yds. Shoulder shot using .22-250 and 60gr Hornady SP's. No exit.

Good start to the day and I go to work. My brother gets called off to take care of something else after dinner and I'm told to go take over the plow. Might as well take a rife I figure.

Turns out I shoot two more males just before dark about half an hour apart. This was in another field 300 yds east of the one I called in the AM. I know they weren't called but I'm content with myself. The first was a 35lb male at around 100yds and the last was a monster male shot at 220yds. Both shoulder shot no exit. He wasn't dead when I got up to him and when I saw the size of him I wasn't gonna mess him up anymore with the rifle. Ball peen hammer worked but he tried his best to take my hand off.

Had a lot of fun today, very impressed with the bullet performance on shoulders, and may have shot a once in a lifetime coyote.

Enjoy the pics. Ryan

dogeaters001.jpg

dogeaters004.jpg

dogeaters008.jpg

dogeaters011.jpg

dogeaters015.jpg

dogeaters016.jpg

Thats a nice big ole boy. Good shooting on the runner, Ryan. Still have plenty of corn harvesting here. Won't be long now.

None were on the run Kirby. The first one I stopped for the shot. The other two were hypnotized by the big green machine. Tractors make coyotes feel comfortable it seems. There was another though with the big one that looked about the same size. I'll have to call there again in a couple weeks.

You know they gotta be big when you have to use a forklift to get um up in the air!!
Congratulations on some good shooting.

Esshhhhh! That is one big dog!!! Nice shooting, but next time you might want to bring a .308 for those monsters!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hyperwrx- heading in to the taxidermist in the AM. Just got a black coyote full mount so not sure what I'll do. Man I could of swore it'd be over 60lbs because I got a 47lb female a few years back that was no where near as big in frame.
JAMaidens- here we're limited to .22centerfires and smaller

Yeah. the red fox has a funny look to it. Taxidermist did it up four years ago for $90 as a decoy. I was gonna take it this morning but figured I was already dragging along more than I'd like. Just put him in the picture as a size reference.

47-lb female is a brute, Ryan. I killed our largest female coyote many moons ago, Circa;1971. She weighed 47-lbs on a feed mill scale. I killed her with my 12ga. After she kicked two of our toughest sighthound's butt, earlier in the hunt. Our trail hound Pokey, eventually [bayed] her against a barbed fence in the middle of a two mile section. Thats were she fell.

She was built burly like your large male. But was much darker in color.

Michael I only used the decoy a few times when I first got it. Got a coyote the very first time and after a few more times realized I didn't like carrying it around. I will use it this year a couple times just to see the possible reactions I might get.
Usually now I just take my small and light .222 and a couple hand calls but thought I'd try some of the other toys. The Mojo decoy is going to be used more often now. I've only used it twice and both times had something come in. I shortened the height of the spring and it seems to help battery life.

Kirby I've got some pics of the 47lb female but they are a little bloody for here. Softball size exit in neck and the crazy popped out eyes from the extra head shot. She was shorter but possibly fatter. The guy I gave it to said it was fat as a coon.

Last edited:
Yeah pictures. My Dad had a pic of the one I killed as well. But his ex-wife[during their divorce] got rid of or destroyed his hunting pics & sold his hounds.

I managed to get a few copys of some other hunts from our old mutual predator hunting friend. Over all my yrs, I never seen/[identified], nor killed a female coyote as large as her.

This evening I figured out the big coyote was shot with a 55gr NBT. I had one with me and I grabbed it by mistake I guess. Broke the scapula? - top right shoulder on his left side and then took out the spine and had a tiny caliber size exit on the other side. Entrance was quarter size.

Back