doe calling

cmiddleton

i decided I'd go after some does in sundance seeing how i had to go there Friday to pick up material.
you can get 4 doe fawn tags so i called a ranch that has a lot of deer that hang out next to the highway.
energy electric has had several deer truck wrecks on this road and even had two pickups totaled the same day. one on this road high way 111 and one on 585.
saturday i went in at daylight spotted the deer but got busted sneaking in.
as soon as the deer started moving away i sat down and started fawn calling with my hydel cottontail call. they came right back.
i shot the lead doe and the rest started stodding away.
i hit the fawn call again and four does came charging right back.
i picked the largest one and dusted her. two does down 50 yrds apart.
Sunday{today} i went back to the same spot but the muleys were not there.
i started hiking to the hay stacks to see if they are bedded near them. i got to the farthest one with no deer but when i headed back to the truck i spotted a white tail jump into the closest stack yard to the road. i got the doe behind the stack and snuck in to 150 yards. i sat down to start calling, 4 fawn bleats later she stepped out to see where the fawn was.
i gave her a 130 gr 270 bullet threw the boiler room.
i hope i taught the deer to find somewhere else besides the side of the high way to play.
and maybe saved us some pickup - deer collisions.
i have our monthly board meeting next Friday so I'll fill the last tag then.
i gave two does to Moseley my son he didn't get his elk tag either that will give us three deer each that's almost one elks worth of meat each.
i guess deer season wasn't done.
thanks rod i wouldn't have filled the freezer without your call.

Back