AR selection

HuntMac

Hey guys I have been hunting all of my life and have usually just stuck with the good 'ol bolt or leveraction rifles and havn't been into the semi- autos. With the election coming up I have thought about buying one just out of principle but seeing as I already have a .223 I was thinking about getting a Ar in .308...I have only seen a few of them so I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on say a kit for a Ar in .308...can that be found for a resonable price like the Model 1's in .223? Any info would be appreciated!

Quote:
can that be found for a resonable price like the Model 1's in .223?

No, they run about twice as much. D-Tech can build you an upper in 300 Oly / 30 WSSM that would give you close to .308 performance and use a standard AR-15 lower assembly, plus being a lot smaller/lighter. The AR-10 (.308 length action) is fairly huge and heavy.
Somebody on here that has one will give you some better info, I imagine.

I am in the same boat as you. I am really thinking of buying the R25 in 243 but I was checking into it a little more and I can buy the DPMS Panther LR for about $300 cheaper.

Thanks for the info keep it coming! Yeah I want a bigger caliber because I have the lower calibers covered...I have a .223 and .243 so I'm not looking for anything like that...I might buy another .223 but I don't really see why I should.

Try one of these? Bet you would like it.

Springfield Armory M1A Loaded, all GI parts, with Swift 8-32X50. Very accrate. It is kinda heavy, but I being lazy, old and several med probs I use an atv to get to stands so weight is not much concern.

M1A-1.jpg

I have no first hand experience on this, but before I decided to go with the .223 I had several people tell me not to get a Bushmaster in a .308....don't remember exactly why or if a reason was even given. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I have no first hand experience on this, but before I decided to go with the .223 I had several people tell me not to get a Bushmaster in a .308.... don't remember exactly why or if a reason was even given. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Some States like WA here, you can't hunt big game with a .22 caliber rifle. You would have to have at least a .24 caliber to be legal here in WA. You can hunt small game with the .22 cal but with a .243 or a .308 you could hunt both.

edit: I think I misread your question. I wouldn't know why you shouldn't buy a Bushmaster in .308,

Last edited:
I have the DPMS 308 AP-4 Carbine and it is not any heavier to carry than my 243WSSM 20" AR15 nor is it any more cumbersome to carry than my 223 H-Bar in 223. I really don't know where some of these guys get their info but I have plenty of experience with both platforms. I also have the LR308 24" target model and that one is the heavy beast.

The DPMS 308 carbine is awesome with 110 V-Max or 125 Nosler Ballistic Tips for predator hunting. It kills dogs easily out to over 400 yards just like the 243WSSM does.

Dtech can build you a 30WSSM that will indeed provide you with some grin factor but you will have to be into reloading to enjoy it, no factory ammo is available.

The down side to the 308 platform is the costs involved, it can be nearly 3 times as spendy to build a 308 based AR. I know this for sure since I have 3 of them in my safe in various stages of build.

The best thing to do is just simply find yourself a DPMS 308 online and order it then have it sent to your favorite gun dealer for transfer. Or pickup one of the new Remington R25 models in your favorite caliber, Cabela's carries them in 308, 243 and I believe 7-08. The R-25 is made by DPMS so the mags will work in either.

Bushmaster sold their 308 rights to Rock River Arms, it is available but I have never seen one yet. I have fired the 308 Bushmaster and it had all kinds of feed problems maybe that is why they sold the rights to another company willing to take the time to sort out the issues.

Armalite is another great choice for the AR10 308 rifles and carbines. They are very accurate and reliable with the new Gen II mags.

Quote:
I really don't know where some of these guys get their info ...

Well, I got 100% of mine off the Internet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I can't find an AP-4 carbine in .308 on the DPMS website, only in 5.56X45 mm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

This is the closest match I can find:

Panther™ 7.62NATO Sportical™

At 8.3 lbs. that is a lot lighter than I was thinking. I'm not a big fan of the material they're using for their receivers, I'd much rather have 7075.

Quote:
Quote:
I really don't know where some of these guys get their info ...

Well, I got 100% of mine off the Internet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I can't find an AP-4 carbine in .308 on the DPMS website, only in 5.56X45 mm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

This is the closest match I can find:

Panther™ 7.62NATO Sportical™

At 8.3 lbs. that is a lot lighter than I was thinking. I'm not a big fan of the material they're using for their receivers, I'd much rather have 7075.

It's listed a couple of models up on the DPMS website, here it is.

http://dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=18

Thanks for the link, I couldn't find it from their pull-down selections. Nice rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've got a bushmaster BAR-10 and it works just fine it was a rock river design that bushmaster bought the rites to build.
Also have a remington R-25 in .243 that works great both get heavy after toting them all day.

I still like my 6.8 spc best as a coyote gun lighter then a AR10 and more smack then a .223

You might look into the 6.8 spc (277 cal). It's a 223 length action, and should be around the same price. There are lots of good bullets for the 270, starting with the excellent 90 grain hollow points from Sierra, and Hornady has a 110 v-max. Should be a decent coyote rifle with lighter bullets. I've been thinking about getting a 6.8 upper myself.

That 6.8 sounds really good... do they sell kits for it? I really don't have much more to spend than around $800 I have a scope and everything already...Also I didn't know that they made and Ar platform in 7mm-08 that round really interests me does anyone know much about it? I need to look around more but once again thanks for everyones help!!

I think I saw a DPMS 6.8 at the gun shop for around 800 bucks. It might have been a different brand, I wasn't really looking for one at the time, so I just glanced at it.

Back