Arizona Unit 3a Cow.

azcoyotehunter

Got this little elk in the first hour of the first day of the hunt. I spotted 3 elk on the oppostite ridge and they started walking up the hill. I hit the biggest of the three in the lung, it started trotting up the hill. I snapped of 4 more rounds (all shots were standing, grass too thick to get a rest). 1 hit the front right hoof, another the lung again. Not sure where the other rounds went. The elk made it 30yrds before dropping.

GPS ranged the distance at 320 yrds (+/-16ft). The game warden came down to check my tag and he even helped us (took 4 of us) to get it onto the rack of my buddies Suzuki Samurai.

I quarter'd it and drove it back home the same day. Took 2hrs for the wife and me to butcher it, got 312lbs of meat off her which will be jerky and some dog food (it was a really old cow).

101_1403.jpg

101_1409.jpg

The drive up and out of the area

101_1411.jpg

Dog food? That seems a shame. Get you a grinder or bone it out and take to a butcher. Add a little beef fat, and you will have some fantastic burger, I don't care how old it is.

Quote:
Add a little beef fat, and you will have some fantastic burger, I don't care how old it is.

+1 Also great in stew, green chile, etc. If you're not going to eat it, at least donate it to someplace that will put the meat to good use.

Didn't figure you'd have much trouble filling that tag Andy. Nice work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Its people like you that make hunters look bad. Why dont you instead of feeding it to the dog just dont hunt here where people have tried for years to get a tag and some people would love to have 312lbs not 280lbs of elk meat.

Congrats on your elk
I shot a bull and was amazed that I only ended up with 226# of meat
some of you guys need to lighten up a little(reminds me of the church)
His elk he can do what ever he wants with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Congrats on the elk!
I'm stll waiting out draw out in NM or AZ...

Thats a wee bit harsh to tell someone they make us all look bad simply because he may feed his dog some meat.

We dont know the details, the meat around the entry and exit wounds is not something I would consume. What about connective tissue?

Again, nice work!!!

WOW. If you carried your animal like that in Colorado, you'd be stoned by the anti's. And dog food???? That's considered "wanton waste" punishable by a hefty fine.

Back