Back from CANADA!!!!

soreloser

Well Mike and I made it back safe and sound on Sunday after a 6 day trip to Saskatchewan and Alberta for some waterfowl action and a tad bit of coyote hunting with EyeHill Creek Outfitters out of Marsden, SK... We headed up there to not only hunt but to film a promotional video for them that we are putting together at there request.

The week was awesome and we got a ton of great footage. We ended the week with a total of 290 ducks and geese with a mixture of Honkers, Specks and Snows along with the usual Pintails and Mallards.

Anyway, I put together some shot clips real quick from the footage that I think you will enjoy...

Last edited:
Great hunt but I want to know why you didn't shoot any of those tame geese in the background? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looks like a great trip Tim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. I never pictured you or Mike as waterfowlers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Quote:
I never pictured you or Mike as waterfowlers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

My first TRUE LOVE and always will be. There is nothing better than having big fat honkers land on your toes.

Quote:
There is nothing better than having big fat honkers land on your toes.

We're still talking waterfowl hunting, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looks like a great time and ya'll did a great job on the promo video. Did you have to film from a laying position in the popup blind or sit?

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the compliments, although it's not the finished product, just some clips I hurried up and put together for ya'll to enjoy. The actual Promo will be about a 15 minute finished DVD, including everything they offer, for the Outfitter to hand out at various shows an wherever else.

We hunt from Layout blinds and yes I was laying down the entire time with just the camera poking out with the LCD turned downward so I could see what was going on. It was quite the challenge but a whole lot of fun when things went right and everything was captured. It was just as much fun as shooting them with a gun.

Heli, yeah me too when it comes to hunting waterfowling is where I cut my teeth. Canada is awesome and this outfitter is so reasonably priced that it's not a choice for me to to go anywhere else. Only problem is that I always put on 5 or 6 pounds with Sheila's cooking.

I have to say that Tim is a magician with the camera though. Shooting out of a coffin blind is really tough to do. It will take a couple of months to put together the promo for them these shots Tim threw together in about 30 minutes.

We were hunting with a couple of 72 year old guys who I have known for years. They don't shoot too well anymore but they still love getting out and Tim and I enjoy making the hunt happen for them. We were letting them shoot first and then trying to play catch-up as the birds were retreating. One of them had never been in a ground blind (when you are 72 you apparently prefer ground blind to coffin blind) anyway I will never forget the look on his face the first time the birds were hovering 15 feet over his head. Priceless!

Quote:
Quote:
I never pictured you or Mike as waterfowlers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

My first TRUE LOVE and always will be. There is nothing better than having big fat honkers land on your toes.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I couldnt agree more Tim. I have always wanted to go to Canada waterfowling. Maybe one of these years when life calms down I can get up there. I will be doing some goose hunting in Idaho this fall im getting excited as the days count down.

Mike I will never forget my first hunt laying in a ground blind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I didnt kill anything the first three flocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif becuase they looked like 747's and I didnt know if I should duck or shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the great story and video guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Soreloser Crew:

Thanks for sharing! Looks like an awesome time! Tim, the civvy look is you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Redhound80

Funny you should mention that Redhound. I started feeling like a long haired hippy already so I had to go get a hair cut already... I'll keep the Goat-tee though...

Looks like some great hunting. I used to do a LOT more duck hunting here, but about the last 5 years the duck numbers have gotten so poor, it is hardly worth the effort go out. On public lakes, you are lucky to fire a shot.

I have not done much goose hunting though. I never liked the "TAKE 'EM" shouted at the top of thier lungs. Notice how far they flare before the shot when they do that?

We would go on command sometimes, (quitely) or more often, the guys I hunted with just knew to shoot when they were over the decoys.

I would love to get into some of that kind of shooting.

Who shot the decoy?

Looks like fun! Not shooting the decoy, the waterfowl. Well...decoy might be fun also the more I think of it.

Great camera work Tim. Listening to those Specks and Snows reminds me of the good old days hunting at Tule Lake in northern Ca. So what did you think of the Federal Black Cloud shotgun shells?

Scott,

We hunt with 2 older feller's that are both 72 years old. Mike and I do our best to get them shots when ever possible to include us not shooting at all most time until they take first cracks at em'. In this case it was only a double on ducks so we called the shot for the old timers and well, he just did what he was told, he killed that bird. Unfortunately the decoy was right behind it at the time. It ended up sounding like a baby rattle.

Bob,

Personally I love the Black Cloud. I started shooting it last year in Canada and won't shoot anything else at this point as far as steel shot is concerned. But I think a lot of it has to do with the choice of gun and choke. For me it's devistating on birds, even out to 60 yds on some shots. Mike however doesn't have the same results with his gun and choke but he shoots Kent Fast Steel BB's better than anything else made of steel.

One thing about the Black Cloud is that what ever you shoot with it, BLEEDS like a stuck pig.. I have never seen waterfowl bleed the way it does with this stuff.

Quote:
Suree hope you like eating the birds.

An unnecessary, and somewhat suspect, thing to say.

Soreloser team, I make a great bird dog if you ever need one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Seriously, great video, amazing experience, thanks for sharing it.

Quote:
Quote:
Suree hope you like eating the birds.

An unnecessary, and somewhat suspect, thing to say.

290 birds = 290 meaals and most will agree that birds need to be eaten within six month's. So that mean's 290 bird meals in 180 day's or 1.61 meals/day. Hence the first post.

Ok, since some of you are concerned, here's the deal.

First, birds will stay good for longer than 6 months if packaged properly.

Second, as an american you can only take home 2 daily limits of both ducks and geese back to the states. No one, American or not, can have in there possession more that twice the daily limit.

Third, NOTHING goes to waste. The birds are cleaned processed and frozen on site by the outfitter. For the hunters who plan to take birds home, those birds are seperated because one feathered wing must be left attached to the breast. All other birds are donated to 1 of 3 places. Local families, food banks or the local Indian Reservation where the outfitter also has his Bear Camp. Every bird is eaten by someone.

This is a common practice all throughout Canada and the United States since most hunts are 3 to 6 day hunts and not 2 and you can only have in possession 2 daily limits. Something has to happen to the excess birds.

Outfitters and hunters donating animals from lengthy hunts is nothing new.

Back