I need a new case trimmer!!

skeetlee

I just sold my rcbs trim mate case trimmer because i didnt like the design. Now i nee to buy a new one. I have my choices narrowed down between a wilson or a forster. I need some opinions on these to trimmers. Pos & cons. Thanks Lee

I used to use a forister before I tried a RCBS. The forister is an oK trimmer, I did not care for the shell holder set up though.

Skeetlee,

You will not be disapointed with the wilson.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=487924&t=11082005

There are two downsides in my opinion:

1-- You have to buy case holders for each caliber.

This can add up but this tool is the most consistent that I have used. I used to have the Lyman ( don't waste your money) and still have the hornady (ok but difficult to adjust just right and not as consistent.)

2--Very time consuming when trimming pistol brass.

You have to pound pistol brass out of the shell holders. I used a pen. Rifle brass you just turn upside down and knock on the wooden bench.

If you do get the wilson get the base for it sold by sinclaire. Worth every penny.

Just my opinion.

Good Luck

what do you mean buy turning it upside down and knocking it on a wooded bench? I guess i dont understand how this trimmer works. Lee

Forster is the best buy and the most flexible of the trimmers on the market. Accessories are 65% the cost of any of the others.

I have 6 of them...after trying all the rest. Somebody on the net was selling six of them for a song...so I bought them.

Lee, I use a Wilson and a RCBS Trim Pro...I use the trim pro most of the time. I really like the lever design that holds and releases the cases.

The wilson will trim cases to the .001. You can also square case heads with it also, but a holder has to be purchased for each caliber. Also, I would only get a Stainless Wilson because the bare steel versions rust like crazy, I have to keep mine oiled.

The wilson also has to have a "holder" of some type for the trimmer.

I had the forester, used it one time and sold it.

Good luck!

Quote:
"... The wilson will trim cases to the .001. You can also square case heads with it also, but a holder has to be purchased for each caliber. Also, I would only get a Stainless Wilson because the bare steel versions rust like crazy, I have to keep mine oiled.

When I bought my wilson, there was no stainless stuff for it - everything rusted and I tossed it.

I have four Forsters and love them.

I don't know how the Wilson works, but with the Forester, you can chuck a cordless drill onto the handle and speed up the trimming process a little bit. It's a little easier on the hands too. I wouldn't own a trimmer that I couldn't "power up" somehow. The new Redding trimmer looks pretty nice. It turns the case instead of the cutter head. The only problem I see is I couldn't chuck up my drill to it. Good luck in your search.

Yep, power is nice......Home depot was clearing out the milwaukee cordless screwdrivers last month. bought 2.....
IMG_1087.jpg

Unlike acloco, I only have 2 forsters.......

If you load in volume, go Gracey and don't look back. It will trim and inside and outside deburr 500 cases an hour. Do spring for the carbide cutter. It is much easier to adjust than the steel blades.

Jack

You need to purchase the case holder for each caliber. Here is one for 243.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=924464&t=11082005

Basically it is a metal tube that you insert a case into. You place in the trimmer and hold it tight against the stop. After you trim remove it from the holder and the case is stuck inside the case holder. Turn upside down and gently bang the case mouth on a piece of wood or similar surface and the case pops out.

I hope this helps. It is not as complicated as I made it sound.

+ 1 on the Wilson. I've had many brands, including Forester, and much prefer the Wilson. However, if your loading large volume and can afford it, go Gracey as Jack recommended.

Quote:
If you load in volume, go Gracey and don't look back. It will trim and inside and outside deburr 500 cases an hour. Do spring for the carbide cutter. It is much easier to adjust than the steel blades.

Jack

As Jack said, the Gracey is head and shoulders above all of the rest of the case trimmers. At that same level is the one Doug Giraud makes. It is excellent too, and chamfers case mouths in the process.

Martyn

There is one BIG problem with the Gracey, and that it that it takes it's reference point from the shoulder rather than the face of the case head.

Now here's the thing. The shoulder is not a very good reference point, because it can vary from case to case, even from the same rifle...

... and anyone that is trimming fired range pick-ups is in deep doo-doo because the trimmed lengths will vary all over the place - as much as 20 thou.

It is a good tool for high volume loaders.

For precision, the Wilson is best, the Forster is next, and the Gracey is last.

The RCBS is a very good design with poor execution (that means poor manufacturing if you live in Rio Linda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

While not fsncy I like the Lee trimmers. I have the case holder in a cordless drill. Insert the cutter to get length then deburr and chamfer while its still in there. Fastest and easiest method I've found. It's not easily adjustable, comes setup for "trim to" length but if you wanted a bit longer or shorter you could alter the length of tip or how far the pilot is screwed into the cutter. For less than $20 for everthing it is worth a try to see if you like it.

peace.
unloaded

I have a Wilson, with a Sinclair base, and case holder
clamp. I have had a few others, and they have all been sold
except the Wilson, and an old Lyman, that I keep around for
trimming some pistol cases, and some wildcats, where I
haven't shipped the stuff to Wilson, to make a case holder.

A clarification on case holders, you only need one
for a family of cartridges. For example, 25-06, 270,
280, and 30-06 all use the same case holder. So the
case holder issue isn't as bad as one may think.

Yes, the pistol case holders are a pain in the butt.
You tap the case into the holder, and it is recessed in the
holder, so it has to be "punched" out of the holder, with
a set style punch. In my case I had an old cheap screw
driver that I ground into flat punch, and use the to
tap cases out of the holders. I have one pistol case
holder, in 45 ACP, and I probably won't buy any more.
I will just use the old Lyman to trim the few pistol
cases that grow to max length.

To echo one point, the Wilson is not the fastest,
but it arguably is the most accurate.

And yes, one should consider at least a good primer
coat finish on it, or keep it in a dry environment.
It will get surface rust, in a humid environment if
left unfinished.

Squeeze

Back