Colorado prairie dog conservation plan

cornstalker

Well, let's see what they have come up with.............

Draft Available for Public Review
The Colorado Division of Wildlife is pleased to announce the release of the draft of the “Colorado Gunnison’s and White-tailed Prairie Dog Conservation Plan” for review by the public. We hope the numerous stakeholders and interested parties interested in prairie dog management will take this opportunity to review the plan.

Concern over the white-tailed and Gunnison’s prairie dogs is due predominantly to plague, and to a lesser extent, rangeland changes, historic poisoning campaigns, conversion of lands to agriculture, urban development, and recreational shooting.

The purpose of the State Conservation Plan is to:

1. Promote conservation of both species and their habitats.
2. Identify specific research needs.
3. Examine existing regulatory mechanisms and their ability to maintain viable populations.
4. Reduce the risk of factors negatively impacting populations.
5. Increase stakeholder participation in prairie dog conservation efforts.

The review and comment period for this draft ends November 3, 2008. Please provide comments to Amy Seglund, Colorado Division of Wildlife (CDOW), 2300 S. Townsend Ave., Montrose, CO 81401 or Amy.Seglund@state.co.us. Comments in an electronic format are preferred. Please make your comments as specific as possible, provide suggested rewording where feasible, and identify the topic and page number for the area of the plan pertaining to your comments.

Thank you in advance for your time in reviewing this important draft plan and providing your valued comments!

Here's a link to the site so you can review the full draft for yourselves.

CDOW link

Here we go again. Same song, different singer. I knew this was coming.

Well we all know what I'll be doing between now and the 3rd of November.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hey Tom, I know you are out there, call me so that we can get it together.

I quickly scanned the suggestions for preserving WTPD and they seemed to be positive towards shooting Prairie Dogs as a recreational practice that would continue. They did however suggest that if numbers fell it might be halted in specific areas. I was actually surprize to see that shooting was going to be allowed given the location (Colorado).

Haven't had time to study the draft, but the plan may not be all bad. My paranoia prevents me from going into detail in the open, but it may not be all bad.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have my own little plan for conserving them. Every time I miss one .....he's conserved.

If you read the plan it gets into how they count them and confirm the counts. Trust me it gets into a math beyond your wildest dreams. Considering that a huge majority of pds die from the plague it would appear, at least from the outside looking in, to be a waste of resources for rats with short tails.

It said that if numbers drop in certain areas that PD shooting would be halted and we all know that more than likely never allowed again

this is a ploy to get it written into law that they can halt certain activities when "their" numbers drop the DOW they will fix the numbers to make it look like they need to do something and then when it's halted it's a none issue and WE LOSE

The Earth Guardians have an ear in the commission he was silent at the last meeting in GJ when they were staring at 50-60 pizzed off shooters. It's just about time for them to have another meeting in Denver were the anti hunters on the commission will feel safe and will more than likely try to get this written into law

This is exactly how the sage grouse BS started, first it was a gentleman's agreement then it turned a gestapo ran ban of anything that would or could disturb those damm nasty tasting praire chickens.

Last edited:
Does the "ear" have a last name that is similar to a well known beverage?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Quote:
Haven't had time to study the draft, but the plan may not be all bad. My paranoia prevents me from going into detail in the open, but it may not be all bad.

I have "stumbled" through the draft (it is ponderous!!!).

I have been in research for more years than I want to admit, and this draft of a proposal smells of data rigging.

When you come up with a few hundred pages of "computer models" and speculation... there is an agenda buried in there.

It is lacking in studies that have solid data behind them... after all, this is NOT a new issue - people have been trying to deal with PDs since before I was born (and that was a long time ago).

So where are the documented studies on the effects of shooting, the documented studies of poison and plague?

Nada.

So my instinct is that it is smoke and mirrors from our "Friends of the Earth" or some other whacko group.

I do support a ban on all eradication efforts (shooting and poison) during the spring, because I want more of the little beasties to shoot... but that is exactly when the ranchers want shooting and poisoning - when it is most effective.

Why wait til summer, when your efforts (and poison dollars) are 8 to 10 times more effective in March, when you take out the pregnant females.

"My paranoia prevents me from going into detail in the open, but it may not be all bad."

Claimbuster... drop me a PM - I would like to hear what you are thinking.

It is interesting to note that the draft does not include any studies regarding the black-tailed PD's, which is the predominant species that most of us shoot. I think we as hunters should be extra careful and consider any management plan set in place for the lesser species groundwork for things to come on the blacktails. Good or bad.

Quote:
It is interesting to note that the draft does not include any studies regarding the black-tailed PD's, which is the predominant species that most of us shoot. I think we as hunters should be extra careful and consider any management plan set in place for the lesser species groundwork for things to come on the blacktails. Good or bad.

I don't know if you were here when they ban shooting PD (black tail)east of I-25 on public land ranchers could still elimate them. West of I-25 wasn't part of the ban since it was home to the white tail PD. I tried to find a copy of those old regs to confirm why the ban wasn't on the west side of I-25.

Catshooter and I have been debating this document quietly in PM's.

With minimal future comment guys, I suggest you read carefully what's not on the paper.

Sorry Catshooter, I didn't intend to upstage you here.

But, I think all of us, particularly those of us from CO should officially comment on the draft. However, I respectfully suggest that we each take the time to understand it before we start writing.

This is important!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
Catshooter and I have been debating this document quietly in PM's.

With minimal future comment guys, I suggest you read carefully what's not on the paper.

Sorry Catshooter, I didn't intend to upstage you here.

But, I think all of us, particularly those of us from CO should officially comment on the draft. However, I respectfully suggest that we each take the time to understand it before we start writing.

This is important!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

"Sorry Catshooter, I didn't intend to upstage you here."

No worries... I think it is important for everyone in Colorado that shoots, to read the fine print.

I have been playing "Do it yourself" lawyer for the last three years (and won), and I have learned how to read these documents for what they really mean.

A proposal like this is not written between the burger and the fries... something like this is "designed" like designing a building, and it might take weeks or months to finish it.

Each sentence is looked at for what it says, and what it does NOT say - what doors it closes, and what locks it leaves unlocked for later "reinterpretation".

This proposal really needs to be read by a group, preferably with someone present that understands legal poo-poo.

It is a minefield planted over in daisies.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know if you were here when they ban shooting PD (black tail)east of I-25 on public land ranchers could still elimate them. West of I-25 wasn't part of the ban since it was home to the white tail PD. I tried to find a copy of those old regs to confirm why the ban wasn't on the west side of I-25.

I was here then, and still legally killin' PD's with a landowners written consent that it was for "damage control".
That was nearly as stupid as our short lived coyote "season".

Jim and catshooter

I'll try to comprehend this jibber jabber that they offer the best I can and do my part. I may need to bounce a question or two off of you guys when the ol' grey matter begins to smooth and starts smoking...........

Is Tom aware of all this?

Back